Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Books and films - some highlights from the first four months of 2013

It's been a while since I've talked about books and reading, and on only one previous occasion have I talked in any focused way about films. Today, I feel like talking about both. I'm hoping you feel like reading about them.

My reduced focus on books stems, at least in part, from my reading exploits being available to view on my Goodreads Books page. I figure that those of you who are interested can follow along that way, and then I don't need to bore the rest of you on a regular basis. At the same time, it seems possible that non-Goodreads users might like a summary of books every now and then.








Working on that assumption, I'm happy to share some of my most enjoyable reads for the year. It seems that I've read 15 books to date, and 10 of those I rated as 4 or 5 out of 5 (summarised below). That seems like quite a good hit rate, and hopefully it will persist over the next 8 months too.

The highly rated 10 are...
  • The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Alison Weir (4/5, finished in January 2013): A non-fiction biography of King Henry VIII's wives, including their lives before marrying him, as well as Henry VIII's life over the course of his marriages. Excellently written and easy to read.
  • Bad Pharma: How Drug Companies Mislead Doctors and Harm Patients, Ben Goldacre (4/5, finished in January 2013): Another non-fiction book, focusing on the problems associated with medical trials, misreporting or selective reporting of data, and decision making in medicine. I found the book a little long, but rated it highly because of the effort Dr Goldacre invested in addressing such a concerning and problematic area.
  • Eleven Seasons, Paul D. Carter (4/5, finished in January 2013): A football-focused book revolving around Jason, a teenager growing up in Melbourne with a passion for the Hawthorn Football Club. It resonated for me because my Dad grew up in some of the areas discussed and he still has a passion for Hawthorn.
  • Jamie's 15 Minute Meals, Jamie Oliver (4/5, finished in January 2013): I didn't used to 'count' recipe books in my reading lists, but I've noticed that other people do so, and adopting that approach allows me to keep track of them. This book includes general reflections from Jamie on 15 minute cooking, as well as the recipes themselves.
  • Leon: Ingredients and Recipes, Allegra McEvedy (5/5, finished in February 2013): The first half of this book is all about ingredients, including different varieties of fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains, and spices. The second half is recipes. Both halves are great.
  • Unusual Uses for Olive Oil, Alexander McCall Smith (4/5, finished in February 2013): A Professor Dr Moritz-Maria von Igelfeld tale, following the earlier book in this series Portugese Irregular Verbs. I love Alexander McCall Smith and this was no exception.
  • The Solitude of Prime Numbers, Paolo Giordana (4/5, finished in February 2013): An Italian novel that takes the uniqueness of prime numbers and applies it to the two central characters, who have never truly fit in, and who are affected by Asperger's disorder and anorexia nervosa respectively.
  • Deaf Sentence, David Lodge (4/5, finished in March 2013): As always, David Lodge mixes humour with tragedy in his writing, this time by focusing on deafness, ageing, and human relationships.
  • The Food Revolution, John Robbins (5/5, finished in March 2013: The best book I have read on the food industry, vegan and vegetarian diets, and how our eating patterns influence the earth. I can't recommend it enough. Balanced, based on data, and well written.
  • Terminal World, Alastair Reynolds (4/5, finished in April 2013): I mentioned this book recently. It  is best summed up as 'space opera', science fiction that is more about people and drama than the science per se. Beyond that, I can't do it justice in summary form, so recommend reading a longer review if your interest is piqued.

Books I am waiting to read...

Today isn't just about books. Unusually, I have already seen 6 1/2 films this year, more than I seen in some 12 month periods. The 'half' comes from Sweeney Todd, an at home DVD viewing that I couldn't continue with after the first person was, well, disposed of.

As for the other 6? I'm doing them the justice of summarising them all.

  • Safety Not Guaranteed, seen at an outdoor cinema in January 2013: Mentioned in this post, the independent film was an excellent blend of drama, comedy, science fiction and romance. 9/10.
  • The Avengers, seen at home on DVD in February 2013: Wonderful. Robert Downey Jnr, superheroes, winning 'good guys', a New York City backdrop, and enough laughter and action to keep me awake without spiking my heart rate. 9/10.
  • Anna Karenina, seen at the movies in March 2013: I liked this less than I was expecting, although the acting was wonderful and the sets and costumes excellent. I just found it a little long, and in some parts a little confusing, and perhaps went in with unrealistically high expectations. 7/10.
  • Samsara, seen at a rooftop cinema in March 2013: Also discussed previously, a silent film blending exquisite photography shot over 5 continents and 5 years. 6.5/10.
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service, seen at home on DVD in March 2013: Mr Bite calls this the best 'old' James Bond film, and he wanted to introduce me to it. I agreed that the plot was clever, and the filming adept for its time, but found it a little too fast paced and was dismayed at the ending. 6/10.
  • Argo, seen at home on DVD in April 2013. This was an incredible film. I highly recommend it. However, it nearly gave me a heart attack. I should have paid attention to Joanne's experience. I also should have worn my heart rate monitor during the viewing - I'm sure it rivaled my half marathon heart rate! Still - 9/10 despite the suspense.

Argo: "Electrically suspenseful" is about right.

So there we have it - my reading highlights and film experiences for 2013 so far.

How do my book and film experiences compare to yours? Do you have any highlights from 2013?

20 comments:

  1. I Loved Argo too!
    I have wondered about that John Robbins book - might try to get a hold of it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend it :-) I got mine from a library and almost went and bought a copy afterwards just to have my own.

      Delete
  2. Haha, I love that you are counting cookbooks towards your leisure reading. I don't have time for novels but still enjoy cookbooks and other non-fiction books... and lots of NY Times articles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps 'counting' isn't really the right word - it does seem odd! They're going in to Goodreads though, and thus they went in to here ;)

      I honestly can't imagine not reading. I've been reading novels since I was 5 (children's ones first, obviously) and life without that seems bleak. You're probably more up to speed on current affairs with your NY Times reading though!

      Delete
  3. I was doing awesome with reading until marathon training started getting real. I haven't even seen a lot of movies this year either which isn't normal. It is sad to admit that I can't stay awake for a movie if it starts after 8 pm. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, if a movie starts after 8pm, I can't stay awake for it either! After 9.00pm I start to head into sleepy territory...after 9.30pm TV or movie watching inevitably sends me to sleep. I hope you get some more time for books and films soon though, around or after all your training!

      Delete
  4. I don't actually think I've seen many movies this year... maybe Les Mis, but that might have been December, actually. Haven't been to the cinema since then, and haven't actually put any DVDs into the player! How lame! I do have a copy of Black Sheep that I'm waiting to watch though. Maybe I'll watch it this weekend...

    Books, though! I have read a lot of good ones. The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver was a lovely piece of historical fiction, In One Person by John Irving (he's one of my favourite authors, and though I have been disappointed with some of his more recent work, this one was great), and two by Khaled Hosseini - The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Both were tough, but amazingly well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't for the social aspect (and largely Mr B aspect), films would barely register for me either. I am glad I have the prompt to watch them though - it helps when you've seen things other people have!

      I love hearing about what you read because we have quite similar tastes. I too thought The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns were excellent, so I'm glad you enjoyed them too.

      Delete
  5. So with you on The Food Revolution! Great book.
    I've got so many books in my to read list, you've put me to shame. I miss reading for fun! Academic reading just isn't the same :P Here's looking forward to the holidays and some time to get some fun reading in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Academic reading is not the same at all! I don't count that in my reading lists (mind you, partially because my reading is papers / journals rather than books). I really can't fathom living without leisure reading so I hope you get some of it back soon!

      Delete
  6. I've hardly read anything this year but I have seen a lot of films. I loved Argo, but my recent favourite was Pitch Perfect. A girly, singing film that my boy also enjoyed watching! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these posts - I think my brother was telling me of GoodReads today - but as an app??? - we were talking about Carpentaria by Alexis Wright - an amazing novel that we both read years ago but remember fondly if you want a larger than life Australian story that reminded me a bit of 100 years of solitude. I have also read 44 scotland street by Alexander mccall smith and loved it - I have ready quite a few of the isabel dalhousie novels but I think I liked the 44 scotland street one even better. As for films - haven't seem too many at the cinema - saw argo on the plane and it was amazing. But wouldn't recommend the last film I saw at the cinema - the danny boyle one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is an app! I even have it :) It connects to your Goodreads account (so your online information) and allows you to do all the normal things, but also scan the barcodes of books which can be helpful if you're entering lots in one hit.

      Thanks for the Carpentaria book recommendation - I haven't read it but will add it to my To Read list. And I too loved 44 Scotland Street and the associated series - far more than the Isabel Dalhousie books and I think even a little more than the Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency ones!

      Delete
  8. Argo was excellent and I am glad I watched it although the cursing was a bit much but I could understand it as it was very scary and emotional time. My heart was racing through the whole movie too. If I was one of those people stuck there I would have died. Seriously I felt for them.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have died too. I honestly thought, there's no way I could have gone through the stress of getting out. Perhaps in the moment I'd have found some courage but I'm pretty sure my 'go to' coping method would have been hiding in a cupboard!

      Delete
  9. I am loving your book recommendations! I'm going to head over and follow you on goodreads! I don't use that site nearly often enough, but it's such a fabulous resource!

    Also, Argo = AMAZING :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is - and I just added you :)

      Argo reflected nicely on your Canadians, too!

      Delete
  10. I don't read enough books these days but your post has captured my interest in reading The Food Revolution. Non-fiction seems to hold more appeal for me than fiction these days.

    I also enjoyed watching Argo (on the edge of my seat) and Safety Not Guaranteed was such a sweet, quirky, light flick which the man and I both enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like non-fiction (and I know you like vegan friendly food books!) then I really would recommend The Food Revolution. It was written so well, with basis in science but very easy to read. I found it less 'in your face' than the China Study too, which seemed to set out to convince you that vegan was the only right way to eat. If you do read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts :)

      Sweet, quirky and light sum up Safety Not Guaranteed perfectly - glad you enjoyed it too :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).