Saturday, March 30, 2013

Vegan tahini-filled chocolate eggs, and carob-raisin-crisp bites

I have definitely moved into long weekend mode. We spent much of yesterday in a national park east of Perth. Today I have baked muffins, baked cupcakes, and made the things in this post. I am feeling very content.


I was initially concerned about posting the chocolate creations I made today. There are lots of chocolate-themed recipes around at the moment, not to mention an excess of Easter products if you venture near any shops. However, I'm not sure you can have too many chocolate recipes, and I am so enamored with these ones that I don't have the patience to save them for another time. If you are looking for any last minute Easter ideas, these also have the advantage of being quick and easy to create.

The tahini-filled chocolate eggs are adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie's vegan peanut butter eggs. They aren't quite as impressive as Gabby's peanut butter caramel filled eggs, posted on The Veggie Nook last week, but I like them a whole lot nonetheless.


With a short ingredient list and a creamy filling, these eggs are less sweet than Reese's peanut butter cups and  they have a darker chocolate shell. Both features are advantages to my taste buds, and it turns out that tahini contrasts extraordinarily well with chocolate. Extraordinarily.

Tahini-filled chocolate eggs
Vegan and no bake
Makes 10 eggs


Ingredients
Filling -
1/4 cup unhulled tahini (sunflower seed butter)
Generous pinch salt
1 - 2 tbsp brown sugar (to taste)
1 tbsp custard powder

Chocolate coating -
2 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp good-quality cocoa
2 drops liquid stevia

Method
Combine the filling ingredients in a small bowl, mix to combine, and chill in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.

Line a plate or baking tray with baking paper. 

Place the coconut oil in a small to medium bowl and warm to liquid state if necessary. Add the cocoa and stevia and stir well to combine.

Remove the tahini filling from the freezer and scoop out small balls using a teaspoon. Roll between your hands, then dip into the chocolate mixture using a spoon. Roll to coat. Remove and place on the prepared baking paper. 

Repeat for the remainder of the filling mixture, then place the chocolate eggs in the freezer for at least 2 hours, until set. When set, remove from the baking paper and trim any excess chocolate from around the eggs using a sharp knife. Serve immediately, or store in the freezer until serving.


Where these tahini eggs are creamy and decadent, the following carob-raisin-crisp bites are crispy and decadent. A variation on my carob crunch bites with goji berries, they can also be made with cocoa if carob isn't your thing. Similarly, other sorts of dried fruit can be substituted for the raisins and/or you could add chopped nuts to taste.



However you make them, they are likely to be enjoyable alone, with tea, or even on top of some vanilla soy ice cream...

Carob-raisin-crisp bites

Vegan and no bake
Makes about 10 medium-sized pieces


Ingredients
2 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp carob
1 drop liquid stevia
Pinch salt
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup puffed rice, puffed millet or other puffed cereal
Few tablespoons granola (optional)

Method
Line a small square or rectangular dish with baking paper.

Place the coconut oil in a medium bowl and warm to liquid state if necessary. Add the carob and stevia and stir well to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well to coat the raisins and cereal thoroughly.

Transfer mixture to the prepared dish and press down. Chill in the freezer until set, at least 2 hours, and then cut into squares.


I wouldn't call these Easter chocolates (I'd hate to limit them to just one time in the year), but I think I'd rate them above most commercial Easter option.

On the topic of Easter - I hope you have a very happy day tomorrow if you celebrate it, and an equally happy day if you do not!



I am sending the tahini-filled chocolate eggs to Healthy Vegan Friday #36 and Catherine's 'anyone can cook vegetarian' Easter egg theme on Cate's Cates.

40 comments:

  1. You can NEVER have too many chocolate recipes!! These look delicious. I love chocolate, and I LOVE tahini- never thought to combine them! This is a definite must-try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite an amazing combination - I can't believe it took me so long either!

      Delete
  2. Those look so delicious - I love the idea of chocolate and tahini, and will definitely be trying these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the Easter theme :) So glad you like the look of these!

      Delete
  3. Yum those tahini chocolate balls look so good and so simple to make :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed both :-) I'm glad you like the look of them!

      Delete
  4. Those eggs look divine, will be trying those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your treats look fabulous... I tried to make something similar and I didn't even photograph them they were so bad. Sadly enough they did not even taste any good either. I should try your recipe next, methinks. Give it a round 2. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my fair share of those moments too, don't you worry :P I hope your round 2 is successful!

      Delete
  6. Using tahini for a filling for these is inspired! I've been experimenting with it past the common ways you see it used, and this looks great - filing away to try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still learning different uses for tahini too, but I think this is my favourite yet :-)

      Delete
  7. Our Saturdays sound similar - I baked cake, made jam, made coconut cream eggs, made pizza dough, and in between crocheted another row onto my blanket. Meanwhile Andy was outside building garden beds, and Tika was (still is) playing with her dog-friend Zoe. I feel like doing more of the same today, but I don't think we can cope with more things to eat in the house! I think I'll switch to sewing... but these tahini chocolate eggs might go really well with my coconut cream ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very similar :-) And very good! Mind you, I've done my gardening today - but we're certainly on the same theme. I think these would go brilliantly with your coconut cream ones and I think I'm going to have to make a batch of those too (perhaps when I've worked through what is in the kitchen currently...).

      Delete
  8. Oooh, one drop of stevia! Make sure you don't go TOO wild there!

    Also, custard powder is genius. I would also need to add nutritional yeast. And not bother with the chocolate, but eat the filling with a spoon.

    YAY MIMOSAS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Twas two drops of stevia darling - I did indeed go wild!

      Truth time: I may have added just slightly more of each of the filling ingredients to ensure there was enough for me to eat some filling straight from the bowl. It was great. Nutritional yeast may have made it even more so...which gives me a perfect opportunity to make them again...

      Delete
    2. Then why does it say "1 drop" in the ingredients, missy?

      Delete
    3. Aha! I was talking about the tahini eggs and you were talking about the crisps :) Phew - I thought I was losing my grasp on things for a while there...

      Delete
    4. Or maybe we're BOTH losing our grasp on jumble circus forklawn kingleharpymmmm.

      Delete
  9. Ooh Yum!! I particular like the look of the crispys YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a very versatile snack, the crispys - and I'm so glad you joined the blog hop too!

      Delete
  10. Happy Easter to you and your family, Kari. I haven't tried tahini with dark chocolate and now I'm very keen to try it - it does sound very good. Enjoy the time off work - isn't it good to have the public holidays! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is brilliant (the public holidays)! I hope you're having a great weekend too Charlie.

      Delete
  11. Who knew you could make treats like this? I've never used tahini with anything chocolatey. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it, now I have discovered it!

      Delete
  12. There is no such thing as too much chocolate. I think I might need to head to the store on my way to work in the morning for some 50% off Easter candy. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes! 50% off chocolate is always good :)

      Delete
  13. You know my first thought was, did she use unhulled? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course :-) And you know, I always think of you when I use tahini - I owe you a lot for introducing me to the unhulled (also known as edible) variety!

      Delete
  14. Love tahini and chocolate so those chocolates look great to me. The kris pies also sound good. Glad you have had some r and r over Easter . And you can never have too many chocolate recipes .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna - and I am glad I'm not the only one who thinks chocolate should have no limits (in recipe form or otherwise!).

      Delete
  15. Everything looks great Kari! Chocolate at Easter is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are too kind Kari! I think these look amazing! Tahini and chocolate is a great combo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it too me so long to discover it!

      Delete
  17. Oh wow, both of these recipes look gorgeous! I made Gabby's eggs and I'm definitely up for more chocolate treats now. Thank you for sharing this with Healthy Vegan Fridays. Check back on Friday to see if you were one of the Top 3! We hope to see you again this week. You can submit a post from Friday to end of Tuesday:
    http://www.greenthickies.com/healthy-vegan-fridays

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).