Sunday, March 17, 2013

Aussie Farmers Direct - some positive experiences

I mentioned Aussie Farmers Direct in my March In My Kitchen post, and some of you expressed interest in how I was finding it. The answer, in brief, is good. The answer in more extended form is below!

My investigation of Aussie Farmers Direct stemmed from a comment Johanna left when I mentioned crashing my bike, a direct result of trying to cycle home from our local fruit and vegetable markets with too much in my basket. I knew of Aussie Farmers Direct before then, in part because my parents used them for a while and in part as a result of other friends and Lisa at Bake Bike Blog talking about their experiences. For some reason I never looked into them for myself and, as a result, I hadn't realised how much choice there is in what you can order from them.


The company started in 2005 as a way of helping Australian Farmers deliver their food directly to customers. They use the analogy of the traditional milkman, and deliveries are made by local franchises on set days using vans and cooler boxes (for cold produce) or recyclable cardboard boxes (for fruit and vegetables). They pride themselves on distributing 100% Australian owned, grown and produced food, in a way that is sustainable for growers and buyers, is seasonal, and is convenient to customers. You can read more about them on their website.

What I hadn't realised until recently is that there are several ways of ordering from Aussie Farmers Direct. They do fruit and vegetable boxes, which are their best value produce options, but there are several varieties to choose from: a family pack of fruit and vegetables, containing 8-10kg produce ($39); a couples pack of fruit and vegetables, containing 6-8kg produce ($26); a couples pack of vegetables only ($26); a family pack of fruit only ($39); a couples pack of fruit only ($26); and organic versions of the mixed fruit and vegetable boxes ($59 family / $39 couples).



You can have a standing weekly order, but you can also have deliveries fortnightly or monthly, and it is easy to cancel or suspend if you are going to be away. It's all done online, which makes things easy too.

I like choosing fruit and still wanted to do some of our produce buying, so decided to use the couples vegetable only box as my standard order. I did try a mixed fruit and vegetable box the first time, to see what it provided, but my most recent orders have been vegetables only. I have a delivery per fortnight at this stage, so have had just three deliveries to date.



The deliveries thus far have included the following:

- Order 1, a mixed fruit and vegetable couples pack ($26, with a $10 discount for being a new customer)

  • 6 brushed potatoes
  • 1 brown onion
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 broccoli
  • 1 pak choy bunch
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 gourmet lettuce
  • 2 Pink Lady apples
  • 2 Granny Smith apples
  • 3 plums
  • 2 bananas
  • 3 nectarines




- Order 2, a vegetables only couples box ($26)

  • 2kg bag of Royal Blue potatoes
  • 1kg bag of carrots
  • 3 corn ears
  • 3 brown onions
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 broccoli
  • 1 red capsicum
  • 1 bok choy bunch
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 1 gourmet lettuce




- Order 3, a vegetables only couples box ($26)
  • 6 brushed potatoes
  • 2 brown onions
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 broccoli
  • 1 green capsicum
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 1 iceberg lettuce
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 cauliflower
  • 1 butternut pumpkin




You can also make up a produce box to order only what you want, by selecting individual fruit and vegetable items in a similar manner to ordering online from a supermarket chain. If you do that, the cost is higher than getting a mixed pack, and probably higher than supermarket costs. Aussie Farmers Direct also does bakery items (bread and similar products), meat, dairy (milk, yoghurt, cheese) and a few prepared meal options (salads, pasta dishes, meat dishes). We don't have any need for those, but my parents had a dairy order going alongside their produce order for a while, and found it worked for them.

One of the main advantages for me so far is the variety in the vegetables we receive and thus use. I can't remember the last time I had corn on the cob, and I had forgotten how incredible it is simply boiled and eaten plain. I rarely buy pumpkin despite liking it. I can easily get through three tomatoes in a fortnight if they are delivered to me, but I might only use one if I was buying them myself. I have also found the produce to be fresh and uniformly high in quality. There were a couple of light brown patches on the cauliflower we received last week, but that is quite literally the only blemish we've had to date.

So delicious.

If you don't like lots of vegetables, and/or you buy produce to match a meal plan for the week, then the Aussie Farmers Direct system may have fewer benefits for you. However, the only vegetable both of us actively dislike is cucumber, and I find it easier to plan meals around what we receive than the other way around. For me, being provided with a box of vegetables and then working out how to use them works well.

There are some other disadvantages of the system, but not too many. The main is that we sometimes need more of something than we're provided, or I want a vegetable that isn't provided. I've got around this by having the delivery come fortnightly, which allows me to top-up and/or supplement around it. We get through 1kg of carrots each week, for example, so the 2 carrots in our latest box aren't going to go the distance.

Cost-wise, I do think the boxes work out cheaper, item for item, than buying the same things at regular prices in the supermarket. However, they are a bit more expensive than buying things from local markets or purchasing things on special at the supermarket. I'd estimate the cost difference for those examples at about $5, which may seem fair for having things arrive on your doorstep. Again, having a fortnightly delivery balances that out for us.

Before, we spent $25-$30 per week on fruit and vegetables at the markets, as well as $5-$7 on produce at the supermarket (mostly potatoes and onions, which add too much weight when cycling). In all, our fruit and vegetables came in around $30 - $35 per week.

Now, I seem to be spending about $20 - $25 per week on fruit and the few extra vegetables we need. With the average cost of $13 per week from Aussie Farmers Direct ($26 per fortnight), that takes the total to $33 - $38 per week. That is close enough to our previous costs to seem worthwhile to me.

As a final note, the couples vegetable box we're receiving fortnightly really does last two weeks when topped up with extra bits and pieces. This is the case both for quantity and quality, as vegetables are still fine two weeks later (perhaps as a result of coming fairly directly from farms, rather than going into the supermarket system).

Do you use Aussie Farmers Direct or a similar system? Any positive / negative experiences?

In case it's not automatically clear, this post was written without the knowledge or input of Aussie Farmers Direct and we purchased all of the items we've tried. 

28 comments:

  1. Hmm we have thought about doing these boxes but not sure about not being able to choose what's in them. I do like the idea though of having to cook with what you are given and the convenience of not having to go to the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking with what you are given is proving surprisingly fun, I must say - I used to worry about it too but for now it seems to be working out okay.

      Delete
  2. how funny that my comment inspired this as I don't do the delivery box but have thought about doing it every now and again. I think vegetables often make up the weight in my groceries so it would make sense in carrying less home from the supermarket as well as being good to get seasonal produce - do love to choose what to use but lately have been doing quite well as using what is in the kitchen! Maybe one day I will finally take the leap - seeing your positive experience is good inspiration!

    BTW - glad you have rediscovered corn on the cob - we love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I ever stopped corn on the cob! It's my new favourite vegetable.

      If you ever want to give it a go, I believe you can just do one off orders too, so you could always use them if you're having a particularly busy fortnight and want to come home to a box of produce waiting for you :-)

      Delete
  3. We have similar programs in the states. I have friends that rave about they awesome produce that they receive. If my hubby wasn't such a picky eater I would probably sign up for a program. I feel like if I did it now I would just be wasting money because I wouldn't be able to eat everything I got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, Mr Bite is pretty pick too :-) We could never get through a box in a week because his vegetable intake is pretty much limited to carrots, red capsicum, potatoes, onions, and lettuce / spinach :P I use pretty much everything else we've been getting!

      Delete
  4. Great review! We still use them - and have opted for the fruit and veg box at the moment because the little one eats so much fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat too much fruit to only have what they deliver :D I'm so glad you're still enjoying them - your positive experiences really helped in my decision to try them out.

      Delete
  5. Well, as long as the potatoes are brushed. I can't stand unkempt spuds. Have a little respect, for crying out loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Laughs*. Oh Hannah, you have made my morning :-)

      Delete
  6. I recently tried to order from Aussie Farmers Direct but unfortunately they don't delivery in our area! Glad you have enjoyed getting their produce so much! They really look like a great company to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a pity! Maybe they'll keep expanding and reach your area eventually?

      Delete
  7. what a great company to know about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey this is really interesting, thanks Kari..... sounds like it's worth a try (and less running around for ME) mmmmm corn of the cob is SO good.... I love it raw, straight off the cob too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less running around would definitely be a big benefit with a toddler in tow! I'm glad you found my thoughts helpful...and yes, corn on the cob is INCREDIBLE!

      Delete
  9. I've used Aussie Farmers Direct before with great success (first with weekly deliveries then to fortnightly). I was very happy with them but depending on the weeks that I didn't feel like cooking, veggies would often go uncooked and would go bad in the fridge - so I ended up discontinuing their service but only because it wasn't working for me at that time, but I would be happy to use them again in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents had a similar experience, which I didn't go into above because it seemed a big tangential. For them, they found it was hard to predict food needs with my two younger siblings coming and going all the time, so they either didn't have enough if they ordered for the two of them, or had too much and it went to waste if they ordered for a full family! My Mum hasn't re-signed up since but is still positive about the company.

      Delete
  10. Great review Kari - I just signed up with Aussie Farmers Direct the other week but haven't ordered anything yet - good feedback on the price of the boxes and which is best value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you enjoy them when you place your first order! I have found it really exciting coming home to the boxes when it's delivery day :-)

      Delete
  11. this sounds a lot like the CSA in the US except you have SO much more say over when/how/what you get! It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered how this compared to your CSA system - interesting!

      Delete
  12. I've thought about it signing up for a veggie box many times and have heard good things about Aussie Farmers. I like the idea of it but think I prefer having control over the quantities and varieties of fruit and vegetables we eat on a weekly basis. Your positive review makes me think it would be worthwhile to give it a trial though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always try it out during a busy patch and stop it again if it doesn't suit :-)

      Delete
  13. That sounds awesome. I've heard of produce deliveries over here, but haven't gotten around to looking into it. It seems like that would work for me as well because I'm not much of a meal planner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither (on the meal planning thing) :P

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the lovely review of our green grocer range Kari. We’re happy to hear that you’ve been thrilled with everything that arrived, except for the small blemish with the cauliflower of course. For those who have left comments on us; you can reach Aussie Farmers Direct via phone on 1300 645 562, or our website www.AussieFarmers.com.au. We’re also on Social Media www.facebook.com/AussieFarmersDirect and twitter.com/AussieFarmersD. Please feel free to have a look and see what we have to offer. Once again thanks for this great review and blog of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasure! I am still loving the boxes and it's great to support an Australian business and Australian farmers. Also, the blemish on the cauliflower was tiny and only mentioned to highlight just how good everything was! That was the only thing in the box that wasn't 100% perfect and frankly, who can expect all fruits and vegetables to be 100% perfect? :-)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).