Sunday, March 24, 2013

Roasted pumpkin and cauliflower with molasses, hemp seeds and quinoa

This is a recipe for busy weeks, where time dictates that cooking must be practical but you want it to be fun as well.


It is a recipe for autumn days, where turning your oven on is a novelty after months of avoiding anything that might increase the temperature of your summer-heated house.

It is a recipe for evenings when you want a dinner that will cook itself, giving you time to tap-tap-tap at the computer, or talk to your partner, or perhaps just fold some washing.

It is a recipe for warmth, nutrition, flavour.

It is a recipe for weekends where work is required, and every minute seems to be accounted for.

It is a recipe for sharing, or for keeping to yourself.


It is a recipe for life, whatever it throws up.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.


Roasted pumpkin and cauliflower with molasses, hemp seeds and quinoa
Easy, delicious, and can stand alone or pair with a protein-based side
Vegan
Serves 2-3


Ingredients
1 butternut pumpkin
1 head of cauliflower
1 tbsp blackstrap molasses (or other molasses, or maple syrup)
1 tbsp water
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp hemp seeds

1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked

Nuts or seeds, extra, to serve (optional)


Method
Preheat your oven to high (200'C) and cut the pumpkin and cauliflower into chunks. Place in a large oven-proof dish.

Combine the molasses, water, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast and hemp seeds in a jar of bowl, and whisk to combine. Pour over the vegetables. Roast in the oven for at least one hour, checking after 30 minutes.

About 15 minutes before the vegetables are ready, rinse your quinoa and then combine with 1 cup of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce to simmering, cover, and allow to cook for 10 - 15 minutes until fluffy.

Combine the vegetables and quinoa, and sprinkle with nuts or seeds if desired.


Submitted to Ricki's Wellness Weekend March 28th to April 1st 2013.

What are you eating (or doing) this weekend?

38 comments:

  1. I especially like roasted cauliflower. I've been experimenting with roasting different vegetables - asparagus, brussels sprouts etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really embarrassed to admit this is the first time I've roasted cauliflower! I know - how?! I'm glad to have discovered it.

      Delete
  2. nom :) I love cauliflower. I made these cute little roasted pumpkin tarts with cashew and basil pesto. How good are dinners that give you time to actually do necessary things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like the perfect dinner for when life vomits indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee. And to think, I was teasing you for your wording ;)

      Delete
    2. I know - that made it even better :)

      Delete
  4. OH i just love how simple this is and yet I bet the flavour is amazing! I'm not a pumpkin fan but I reckon i would love this with sweet potato :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not usually a big pumpkin fan either, but I did like it in this. With that said, sweet potato is always wonderful so I am sure that would be a great substitution!

      Delete
  5. Yum this looks great! I've not tried hemp seeds before but I'm curious to give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great if you can find some - nice in savoury dishes and they also add oomph to smoothies.

      Delete
  6. This looks so great! (:
    Just stumbled upon your blog! xx
    http://andgeesaid.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. again the hemp seeds are coming out and again i'm reminded i need to try these things! hehe. i LOVE cauliflower and that looks delish!
    this weekend i got my sweat on and pretty much just did some work stuff. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which sounds like a good weekend to me :) Hemp seeds are definitely worth picking up if you can find them!

      Delete
  8. I love roasted pumpkin and only recently discovered how good roasted cauliflower is - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a recent convert to roasted cauliflower too - I can't believe it took me so long!

      Delete
  9. I love recipes like this :) I would love to try this with sweet potatoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi - and sweet potatoes would be great!

      Delete
  10. Seriously, this sounds so comforting and delicious - and I LOVE the fact you included molasses, which is an absolute favourite of mine. I tend to always use it in sweet dishes so I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time I've used molasses in a savoury dish too :)

      Delete
  11. Very tasty looking dish, lots of wonderful ingredients in this!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hehehe...just chuckling over Hannah's comment. Perfect phrase :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, this sounds delicious! Totally not seasonal for us right now, but come next fall, this will be the first thing on my list to make! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how the seasons have such an impact on eating preferences / tastes :)

      Delete
  14. The one thing that makes me happy about the weather cooling down is being able to turn the oven on more, especially for roasting veggies! This sounds like a lovely meal and reminds me that I should experiment with molasses more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am delighting in the oven too. Seriously rejoicing in fact!

      Delete
  15. I have been a very lazy cook this week. I have been wanting to eat heathy food but too lazy too cook. This looks like a great compromise, healthy tasty and quick. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely something you can make easily and then benefit from when laziness is in force ;)

      Delete
  16. This is why I love veggies- no matter how many times I've made roast veggies I've never tried them like this! Totally giving this a go :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a seriously versatile food group, aren't they? I'm glad you like the look of this approach!

      Delete
  17. I love being able to turn on the oven and roast vegies - exactly what we had tonight - hope that you are coping with busy times and eating lots of these sorts of delish meals

    ReplyDelete
  18. Roasted cauliflower and roasted pumpkin? What a genius combination! Definitely perfect for busy days. I really need to start cooking with molasses. It seems like it would add the perfect touch of sweetness to dishes like this. Love the addition of quinoa as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahah I feel like my life is always a little to busy for cooking lately. Why is it always the things you love that must get pushed aside?

    On the plus side, this looks delish, I love the addition of molasses!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like a fab dish - roasted veg with Morroccan flavours is a dream combination.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).