Monday, March 4, 2013

Carrot-hazelnut-molasses truffle balls

I have recently ventured into cooking and experimenting with blackstrap molasses. It's an ingredient I'm familiar with, but not one I've bought or used for many years.

As far as sweeteners go, blackstrap molasses punches above its weight. It is made from sugar cane after a process of three boilings: the first (boiling juice from the cane sugar) gives cane syrup, the second (boiling the cane syrup) gives a preliminary form of molasses, and the third (boiling molasses) gives what is generally known as blackstrap molasses. By this stage, most of the sugar from the original cane sugar plant has been crystallised and removed through the repeated boiling. Of course, blackstrap molasses is still predominantly sugar - but because the crystallised sugar has been lost, it is higher in vitamins and minerals than many other sweeteners. One tablespoon provides about 3.5mg of iron, which equates to 20% of the daily requirements for adult women. One tablespoon also provides 10-20% of daily requirements for calcium, magnesium and potassium. 


If you cook or bake with molasses, it would be difficult to achieve your iron requirements just by substituting molasses in for other sweeteners. It does have a distinctive taste, and if you are baking a plain vanilla cake, using molasses instead of white sugar will probably not achieve your desired outcome. Given it is a sugar variant, relying on it as your main source of iron would also be problematic! However, I am enjoying it as an addition to my pantry and have been adding the occasional tablespoon to oats or smoothies.

These truffle balls are my first foray into using molasses as an ingredient in an actual recipe, and they have piqued my interest in experimenting more. As with all truffle balls, they are easy to make. The flavour is distinctive, with the hazelnuts and molasses each coming through. It is a different sweetness to using dates or agave / maple syrup, but an enjoyable one. I used purple carrots (thus the colour!) and suspect that regular orange carrots would give a slightly sweeter result. However, I liked the depth of flavour and darker tones that came with the purple variety. 


I won't go so far as to recommend these as a health treat (aside from anything else, that might put you off). I will, however, promote them as a treat that tastes good and has a high-quality ingredient list.

Carrot-hazelnut-molasses truffle balls
Easy to make and easy to eat; also versatile if you want to change any of the ingredients.
Makes about 16 truffle balls.
Vegan.


Ingredients
1/2 cup grated purple (or orange) carrot (equates to 1 small carrot before grating)
1/2 cup (100g) raw hazelnuts
1/2 cup (50g) rolled oats
2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Dessicated coconut, for coating (optional)

Method
Process the hazelnuts and grated carrot in a food processor until the hazelnuts are finely ground. Add the rolled oats, molasses and cinnamon and process until the mixture starts to clump together, about 2 minutes.

Roll into small balls, coat in dessicated coconut if desired, and chill in the fridge for approximately 2 hours before eating. Store in the fridge.


For more information on blackstrap molasses, see its entry on the World's Healthiest Foods list; its mention as a source of iron in the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention's article on iron; and Gina's post and raisin-almond-molasses balls at Choosing Raw.

I am sending these to Ricki's Wellness Weekend March 7th to 11th 2013.

Do you use molasses regularly? Or have any favourite ways to use it?

30 comments:

  1. Yum Yum Yum! I've got to try truffles with grated carrots, they sound delish- and what a good way to cut down the density too.

    I try to avoid sweeteners but this is one that's usually in the house. My fave way to use it is in these: http://www.skinny-vegan-food.com/2012/02/b-balls.html#.UTQtGzD-EUQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that recipe! I think I'm going to be expanding my range of molasses-including dishes and your black and white balls are full of things I like :)

      Delete
  2. I always have molasses when I can get it. I was given a love of it in peanut butter sandwiches that my dad ate when I was young. Now I'm introducing the flavor to my little one and avoiding the more pointless sweeteners that don't have the nutritional benefits that molasses has. These sound like yummy treats and something I would share with my daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so intrigued by the thought of molasses and peanut butter! What a great idea.

      Delete
  3. These look really great Kari! I actually love using molasses in things...It has such a dark rich flavor that it adds so much to what you are putting it in. I really like to add it to my oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does go very well indeed with oats :-)

      Delete
  4. Very creative truffles! I love the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm looks like very healthy carrot cake :) I love blackstrap molasses and agree that as far as sweeteners go, it's definitely a worth inclusion (in moderation) to a healthy diet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrot cake was definitely on my mind as I made them ;)

      Delete
  6. I love using molasses but you're right...it's only really appropriate in certain contexts. :P These sound like awesome energy balls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - and yes, it's not really suited to sponge cakes :P

      Delete
  7. I'd never really thought about the process of making molasses. I always knew it came from sugar, just never thought about the process. Love the look of your little truffles and yes, the molasses would give them a very distinct flavour xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't given it too much thought either until I looked it up when writing this post. I like it even more now I know the background!

      Delete
  8. i'm not really a fan of the taste of molasses but i reckon i would definitely try it in a ball like this :-) What a brilliant idea to use carrot too - you're a genius!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have borrowed the carrot inclusion from others, so I'll grant them the genius status, but it is definitely worth doing!

      Delete
  9. Oh. My. Goodness. YES! I looove the idea of this combination of flavors. Truly perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM.... I love molasses (combining it with the hazelnuts AND carrots sounds awesome) one of my favourite drinks is a cup of warmed almond milk with a teaspoon of molasses stirred in.... comforting and an iron boost to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a brilliant idea! I will have to try that - thanks!

      Delete
  11. Oh yes I would have this indeed. Blackstrap molasses can be so varied, though. I've had jars I could eat with a spoon, and others that I could barely swallow on their own. What I really miss right now, though, is carob molasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is such a thing as carob molasses?! Good golly. One of my favourite random molasses concoctions to date is mixing it with carob and oats, so I am very sold on that concept. I'll have to investigate brands too - I have found the jars to vary enormously in price so have just started at the lower tier with that and not explored very much!

      Delete
  12. I have never used molasses, but it has always intrigued me. This is such a creative recipe. I love it! I also love how you used carrots (and purple ones at that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colynn :-) I do love using carrots in raw truffle balls, and purple carrots and I have an ongoing love affair!

      Delete
  13. These look great! I have never used molasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend trying it out - it's different but enjoyable :-)

      Delete
  14. I often use molasses interchangably with treacle as I find the flavours are similar - one of the way I use it up is in gingerbread biscuits or cake - and sometimes in stews and pumpernickel bread. There is a cake that I have bookmarked that has molasses and no added sugar - http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/oldfashioned-blueberry-cake-recipe.html - always sounded interesting (not vegan). I love molasses but find it can be a bit bitter if I use it without sugar - but it goes well with the sweetness of tomatoes in a stew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about molasses and treacle (although I think, secretly, I prefer treacle just a little!). Thanks for that cake link too, as it sounds like just my thing and could easily be veganised. I also like the tip for using molasses in savoury dishes as I haven't done that!

      Delete
  15. Oh man, I've been digging the blackstrap too! I love it stirred in oatmeal with pumpkin and banana...possibly the best thing ever. I love that unique kick it has! And these treats look great, I wouldn't have thought to put carrot in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, pumpkin and banana! They would be perfect matches for molasses - thanks for the idea :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).