Friday, March 8, 2013

Fitness Fridays - running club ventures and 5 weeks to half marathon time


After mentioning on a few occasions that I am training for a half marathon on the 14th April, I thought it might be appropriate (5 weeks and 2 days out!) to touch on what I have been doing in the lead up to that.

As we know, I have been running on and off for 4 to 5 years now. The 'off' periods have largely been due to injuries, ranging from mild to more problematic, as well as a certain lack of confidence that I could actually be a runner. Up until 5 years ago, I strongly believed that I would never be able to run more than a few kilometers at a stretch. This was in spite of being moderately fit in other regards, and able to do other forms of exercise for extended periods of time. I just didn't think running was for me.

It may go without saying that believing you can't do something is a fairly sure-fire way to ensure you can't do it.

I have now got over my running mis-beliefs, allowing me to fall head-over-heels in love with the activity. Despite this, I have approached my half marathon goal with a certain amount of trepidation and a lot of planning. I have been building up my mileage very, very slowly. I have read lots of running articles and blogs, a fair few books, and even invested in Matt Frazier's No Meat Athlete half marathon roadmap. Matt is a vegetarian runner and his half marathon guide (which is an e-booklet you purchase online) covers training plans, diet, and general points relating to running in general and the half marathon in particular.

I adapted Matt's training guide to give me 3 running sessions (vs. his 4) and 3 cross-training sessions (vs. his 1-2) each week. My runs incorporate a Saturday morning long run, which has gradually increased from 10km in January to 16km last weekend; a Tuesday morning 5km moderate pace run; and a Thursday morning session of intervals, either hills or speed or both.



The above spreadsheet is small for a reason. Please don't try and base your own activity on what I've been doing - I am not an expert on training plans! I am including it simply to show the degree of planning that has gone along with this goal. All being well, my longest run prior to the race will be 18km a week from now.

The reason this post is happening today is that I have recently been able to move my Thursday morning interval run to a "running club" group setting. The running club in question has operated through my gym for several years, but used to happen in the evenings and had an added cost (albeit very small). Happily, it has recently been re-branded as a "group fitness class", which means it is free, and one of the two sessions is now on a Thursday morning instead of in the evening. That Thursday morning session happens to be intervals (the other, Tuesday evening session, is a 5-7km temp run). Thus, it is almost perfectly designed for me.

This is what comes to mind when I think about running.

I went to my first session two weeks ago with a fair amount of anxiety. Would it be too hard? Would everyone else be really good? Would I feel foolish? Would I want to stop half way through? You can probably guess how I was answering those questions in my mind.

Yet again, my thoughts and doubts were my own worst enemy. I loved the session. It was hard, but in a good way. There seems to be a lot of variation in the ability and speed of the runners who attend the sessions, with some being absolute beginners and others super-fast athletes who are way ahead of the rest of us. I am probably in the top third with regard to speed, which surprised me, and there are two girls who run at about my pace, or a tad faster, which gives me something to set my speed on when running in a group.

In the first session, we did a 2.4km time trial and then alternated 400m laps of an oval with sets of lower body and upper body exercises (think squats, push ups, planks). In the second session, which was yesterday, we did 1km repeats, running 1km (2.5 laps of the 400m oval), walking or slow jogging 400m to recover, and then doing it again to give 5 repeats (5km) in total. Everyone runs at their own pace, so you can push yourself as hard (or not) as you like.

I usually run my long runs at 10-10.5 km/hr (6.2-6.5 miles/hr), which equates to 5.4 - 6 minutes per kilometer (9.1 - 9.4 minutes per mile). My shorter runs are a bit faster, but not dramatically so. With the 1km repeats yesterday, my fastest loop took 4 minutes and 45 seconds, a speed of 12.6 km/hr (7.8 miles/hr). I would have said that was impossible for me if I hadn't done it.

I am only two sessions in to my running club participation, and still 5 weeks off knowing whether my half marathon plans will come to fruition, but at this point in time - I already feel so rewarded from the last few months and every part of me is hoping and longing to keep it up and reach those 21.1km in April.

Do you run or train in a group? Or have any half marathon advice for me?
Or, do you have any experience where your own doubts have been your biggest challenge?

A note on comments: Following on from my last post, after turning the Disqus commenting system on, I had to turn it off again due to various problems associated with the latest 2012 Disqus release. Most pressing is that Disqus is not compatible with mobile views of my blog, and if people leave a comment through their mobile phone it goes into the Blogger comment system but not the Disqus comment system and thus doesn't appear online (!). Not allowing people to comment with their name and URL is another challenge.

I apologise sincerely for the back-and-forth shifting and promise I'll leave things be with Blogger for now. I also apologise if you encounter spam as a result of that.

27 comments:

  1. This is really interesting - I have just started dabbling in running - very small distances I might add.... I can see how people become addicted to it, I love the buzz!

    Oh and YES my own doubts/insecurities are definitely my worst enemy - ALL the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The buzz is quite the reinforcer! I'm glad you've been having fun with what you've been doing Lou - and small distances are definitely the way to go starting out. Slow and steady :)

      Delete
  2. I don't train with a group, but I used too. I think that running club participation is awesome and a great motivator. You will always have people to train with and to push you as well. It sounds like your training has been going really good. I am excited for you to run the 1/2. It is my favorite distance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha - your posts and running tips / routines have been really helpful this year!

      Delete
  3. I train in a group also and our training sessions sound a lot like yours! I am struck by fear every time I go (and I've been running with them for YEARS) but once I get there, I realize it will all be fine and I will complete the workout. :) Mind over matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mind over matter indeed! It's good to know I'm the not the only one to have those moments of "can't do this!" :P

      Delete
  4. Oh the perils of the commenting system! I really think the wordpress system is the best but that's not helpful if you're on blogger! You must be so fit! I used to run as a teenager and really enjoyed it but never as much as swimming. Now I don't think I could run to the letter box and back. Alfie is going in a 5km run in a few months and I've said I'll run it with him. Why did I say that? I'd better do some training. I think a running club is a great idea - very motivating and you get that group support xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you for doing the 5km with Alfie! I am always impressed by your swimming and it goes to show that some activities just click more for some people than others - I do quite like swimming but not in any serious sense.

      I do wish the commenting options with Wordpress could come over to Blogger...I don't like the default Wordpress commenting much but there seem to be lots of different options and Blogger does lack that!

      Delete
  5. I was running with Tika yesterday morning and we found ourselves in the midst of a running group, but only for a minute because we had to stop so Tika could, ahem, do her business. I can see the benefits - having someone in front and someone behind definitely helps you pick up the pace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm tired just reading the post. I think I need a new pair of shoes.. that will get me going. (maybe)

    Congratulations on your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am no runner so your plan and your planning seems very impressive but so much work too. I think that it is fantastic to rise to a challenge and to feel proud of how far you have come - I hope you do your half marathon and it seems to me like the running group would be good practice at running with other people around you - I imagine it is so different from the feeling of just being alone and free on a run

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're spot on Johanna, it is a really different experience being in a group. Given how much I value the feeling of being alone and free on a run, it's not something I'd like to do all the time. Once a week is just about right I think!

      Delete
  8. I really want to try running with a group one day! I would probably have had the same reservations, but I am so glad that they were quickly gone for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi - and it seems that lots of people have the same (positive) experiences when they are able to try groups, so I hope you can find one that works for you one day too :)

      Delete
  9. OH MY GOD!!!
    You are amazing! I can't even run in between the street lights without getting out of breath and completely forgetting to breath...

    I couldn't contemplate running a marathon!!!

    Thank you for this glimpse into your training, you are so dedicated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel obliged to point out, though, that it's less dedication as finding something that gels so perfectly with me that it's fun as well as challenging :-)

      Delete
  10. I think you are doing great!
    I definitely did the same in regards to my planning. But all that planning will make you feel much more confident the day of. I think you are going to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristen. I think I'll definitely feel better on the day with the planning behind me!

      Delete
  11. I'm so happy for you for taking the challenge, girl! Although I love running yet haven't ran a single marathon yet, all I can say is that it truly IS mostly mental. I loved that you said, "It may go without saying that believing you can't do something is a fairly sure-fire way to ensure you can't do it." Because whenever I FEEL like quitting in doing something whether it be a grueling activity or even work sometimes, I just keep telling myself that whatever I think, will become. So if I just trust God and keep going at it, my body will follow as well. Emotions and thoughts can be so fleeting sometimes that we just can't trust them, you know? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ellie - emotions and thoughts are definitely fleeting and unreliable sources of information at times! I like taking a step back to try and get more perspective on things. I'm glad you've been enjoying running too, it is such a rewarding activity.

      Delete
  12. Go you! Running is never going to be for me but it is fantastic when you find an exercise that works for you.

    Oh and blogger's comments section could use some serious work, but on the other had I do find some of the spam hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have got so frustrated by the spam that I'm actually not reading it any more! Maybe I need to try and find the light side...

      Delete
  13. Hi, stumbled upon your blog for the first time and I am impressed. Loved your writings.. Subscribed and looking forward to more interesting posts. Keep rocking. x

    Thanks,
    Borntoworkout.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm delighted you found me and am just about to head over to your site :)

      Delete
  14. you've got a plan that can also be used by others. Well done. This will surely be a great advise for those who want to do the same as you did! It's well appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).