Thursday, March 28, 2013

More out and about in Perth

I don't know about you, but I am seriously ready for this long weekend. It is definitely one of the highlights of the fast half of the year. Four. days. off. work.

(Incidentally, does everyone get a four day weekend for Easter? Americans seem to have a completely different holiday system, so it has just dawned on me that the four day thing may not apply to those of you over there. If not, I am very, very sorry.)

Before launching into the weekend, I thought I should bring us up to speed on some recent outings we have had around Perth. The work side of things has been busy lately, but we have still managed to fit quite a lot in outside of work hours.

All photos are from my phone, so I apologise for the dubious quality...

Rooftop Movies in the city centre.


For Christmas, my brother gave us passes to a rooftop movie set up that happens in the city over summer. On top of what roof, you might ask? A car park roof is what. It is quite a novel experience to head to the top of a multistory car park with the view to watching a film on the roof! 

Waiting to enter

The movies shown are mostly classics and 'retro' films, although some new releases are scattered through the program too. We saw Samsara, a 2011 release that was filmed over five years in five continents, covering religious rituals, natural beauty, natural disaster zones, and human industry. It is entirely in pictures, no words, and was quite suited to a Friday night on top of a car park roof!

The roof top set up (the vans were selling food)

Riverside walking.

This is the time of year to be outside in Perth. Those grey skies I mentioned aren't there all the time, and when they're not - there is dazzling sunshine coupled with moderate temperatures. It would be foolish not to go outside and enjoy it.

Resting'on a bench, looking over the Swan River.

This is the same area we visited this time last year, on Mr Bite's birthday. It's a beautiful spot.


Indoor rock climbing.


This activity stemmed from another present voucher, this time from Mr Bite for my birthday last December. I've been talking about going indoor climbing for quite some time, and he thought the voucher might allow us to actually get to doing it.

It did, albeit four months later, and it was a very fun afternoon. It was also a very exhausting afternoon. Rock climbing is hard!


We managed to reach the top of some of the easier climbing sections, but I was definitely confronted (yet again...) by my lack of arm strength. It was a fun sort of confrontation though, and I would definitely take sore arm muscles from rock climbing than sore muscles from, say, basketball.

What have you been up to lately?
And - what are you planning for the weekend?!

21 comments:

  1. You've been doing so much!!! I am usually so lazy on the weekends lol.

    And most places give you good Friday off for easter..unfortunately my lab does not so I'll be working...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah :( I hope the work is at least productive and passes quickly!

      With all the baking and cooking you get up to, I'm not sure that 'lazy' would be the word I'd use ;)

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh both me AND Greg love all those things you guys enjoyed! hahaha, he's been dying to find a nice spot to watch an outdoor film, and this one you went to sounds so cool--let alone the fact that the movie you watched actually seems educational and informative. :) Also, rock climbing indoors is seriously one of THE BEST workouts ever, and it's just so fun because it gives you a challenge like no other. The trick to not dying while you're up there is TRYING to use your legs a little more, but even that's really difficult. :P Let me know when you succeed with that last part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about using your legs! A few times I realised I really just needed to boost myself upwards using my leg muscles...but they weren't there when I needed them either. I guess I'm lacking in strength in general :P

      Delete
  3. Um, super jealous of your 4 day weekend. Technically, I could take another furlough day tomorrow, but I need to work since I am taking a 4 day weekend next week to go to San Francisco. Very excited about that mini vacation! My husband used to get the Friday off before Easter at his old company. It always made me jealous. Enjoy your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you get the 4 days next weekend at least :) And thank you!

      Delete
  4. That's so nice that you have four days off for Easter. I have four days off of school, but not work. I don't have to go in tomorrow, but I'm going to because I could use the cash. Haha.

    I'm going to the beach on Saturday. I'm excited. I could use some fresh air and a tan. Not quite sure what's going on for Sunday yet, but some Easter plans are in the making. I'm a little upset that I can't visit my family over Easter this year.

    Rooftop movies...how cool! I also have trouble with rock climbing, but it's still fun. Anyways, happy Easter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes time off and needing money do conflict :S I hope you have fun at the beach though!

      Delete
  5. Three days here. Government and schools get Monday off too, but not me. But I'm happy; I hate missing any days of my internship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kari, I'm so sorry I haven't been around for a while. I've had so many internet issues plus a move and it's just taken me so long to get organised. I do hope you're having a well-earned rest this Easter xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by now Charlie, and I was so sorry to read about your internet woes. I hope you have a great Easter also!

      Delete
  7. That rock climbing looks challenging - I had a friend who was really into it and had quite a few friends from her rock climbing centre so I know it can be a big part of some lives.

    The rooftop cinema is more my sort of thing - I love the sound of the film you watched. I've been to Melbourne's rooftop cinema a few times and loved it - the best was seeing one about migrating birds which didn't have any commentary and I felt like I was up with the birds. Sadly it is a long time again.

    Hope you enjoy your easter weekend. I've just got dodgy baking and family visits on my agenda but for sylvia it is all about easter eggs and being sad about jesus :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinemas are definitely easier going than rock climbing - I think I need a good dose of the former to balance occasional forays into the latter!

      Sylvia's Easter meanings made me smile, and reminded me of what Easter was like as a child. It is definitely a holiday that has morphed over time. I hope your baking and family time go well - and no baking from your kitchen is ever dodgy!

      Delete
  8. In the states, it depends on your job - lots of people do get a long weekend though. And I love the photos in this post, even if you did take them with the phone - I do that more and more, because it is just so easy. The rooftop movie theatre looks really fun!
    Donalyn @ http://thecreeksidecook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donalyn! I am definitely learning more about how countries differ in their customs on lots of levels - I hope you have a long weekend of some sort yourself.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous photos - I like your out and about photos. I am spending Easter with my family in Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you! And I hope you have a wonderful time with your family, hopefully with some sunshine to counter your Melbourne weather ;)

      Delete
  11. I am glad that you also choose one of the activities, rock climbing ,you reminded me off when I did it years ago in Ayers rock- Uluru and that was my amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).