Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Vegan MoFo wrap up, and reflections on September and October

As the month of vegan food draws to a close, I have been reflecting on my experiences with taking part as well as the last two months more generally. The months in question, as you may appreciate, have flown by! My last "what I enjoyed this month" post was at the end of August and it feels like an incredibly long time since then.


Being part of Vegan MoFo has been wonderful. I took part with very little forethought or planning, and while I did develop a list of recipe ideas, I didn't follow it closely. There are recipes I haven't got to yet, and other unplanned ones appeared over the month instead. Next year I think I will be more organised, but I had a lot of fun in the kitchen this month despite (or perhaps because of) the lack of structure. I have also had fun reading others' posts. I didn't read as widely as I might have - time disappears so! - but I did discover some new blogs and I have bookmarked plenty of recipes.

As someone who usually blogs every other day (and blogged less often than that during September), I was curious about how I would find posting more days than not. For the first few weeks, it was actually quite fun and I enjoyed the constant immersion in food and cooking. For the last week, it has been a bit harder. I think I am ready to go back to 15, rather than 20+, posts per month. I am also ready to go back to more varied posts. While I loved the challenge of creating multiple new recipes per week, I did miss focusing on other topics. In some ways, Vegan MoFo consolidated my sense of what I value in blogging and how I view myself as a blogger. I certainly like food and recipes and related topics, but I like variety too.


The pace of Vegan MoFo has mirrored, in some ways, the pace of October. September was a fairy tale month. Busy, yes, but busy in a way that was entirely removed from day-to-day life. From our wedding on the 1st September, to our time in Europe from the 8th September onward, it was a beautiful, amazing, dazzling month that created memories I will forever treasure.


October was pretty wonderful too, although it has had some downs to balance out the ups. It started in England, saw us return home to work and 'regular' life, had me fly interstate for work in Queensland, incorporated several serious work failures / rejections (those who work in research will know the sorts of things I mean) and a smaller number of less important successes, and ended with a delightful day trip to Rottnest. With there now being less than two months until Christmas, I am quite ready for November to be settled and 'normal' and quiet!

One thing I can't help but feel, when I reflect back on September and October, is incredibly lucky. Even Vegan MoFo has had me feeling lucky - I have come to value blogging in a way I could never have predicted at the start, and the shared focus on MoFo amongst bloggers has been quite lovely. I also feel settled with my life in a way that I didn't know was possible, even with busy-ness, challenges, and some difficult days thrown in to the mix. I suppose I feel grown up. Perhaps that's what marriage does.


On that reflective note, here is the wrap up of my posts from October:


What has your October been characterised by?

30 comments:

  1. Morning from the US Kari! I think it is so great that you are in a great place right now! Thank you so much for sharing your wedding/honeymoon with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Brandi! And I am always amused by the time difference between you and me :-) It was evening here when you commented!

      Delete
  2. I think you've done amazingly well in the past few months, Kari, you've had a wedding to organise, you've been a bride, you've had business trips, a honeymoon, jetlag and much more besides. I've been super-impressed with all you've been able to do and achieve in the past few months xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Charlie - I think the wedding part was made easier by our decision to opt out of a typical wedding, but your comment was very kind :)

      Delete
  3. It's so great you got so much from participating in MoFo Kari :) I loved your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome reflections! I love your attitude towards blogging and life in general. I know I would find it super hard to post more often than I already do...and if I tried I fear I would come to HATE blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you already post impressively often Joanne! But I share your stance, I am mindful of not wanting blogging to turn in to a chore or hassle.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed vegan mofo too - and enjoyed seeing your mofo posts. I would blog more often if I had the time and I love the challenge of vegan mofo that makes me try some things I might not otherwise and visit a few new blogs - it is like a good shake up that takes me out of my comfort zone - but I am glad it is over too. I will look forward to seeing some of your non-food posts and hope you will still share some of your travel posts even though your travels must feel ages away now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna - I am really looking forward to returning to travel posts. It seems like ages ago in some ways, but still very close in others!

      Delete
  6. You have had a busy couple of months Kari! I am glad that things are finally settling down for you. I enjoyed reading your vegan posts and seeing your recipes that you shared. I got some good ideas from you and some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tasha - I am really glad :)

      Delete
  7. I'm so impressed you stuck with it! And during such crazy busy months!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive loved all these posts!
    I admit I have had a difficult time with posting lately. Since getting my new job, I have been trying to spend the down time hitting bootcamp and it just hasn't happened that I have posted as much. If only there was more time in the day, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New jobs definitely throw a spanner in time management / life management. More time is definitely needed some days! I hope things balance out for you soon, but in the mean time, posting less is very understandable :)

      Delete
  9. Oo yum! Thanks for all of the vegan links :) I'm a vegetarian but I'm trying to make the switch on most things :) Sounds like you had a very busy few months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not fully vegan either but have come to be more vegan than not over the last year or so :) I have some dairy still though, it just didn't get mentioned much in October due to Vegan MoFo!

      Delete
    2. I will definately jump on the Vegan MoFo next time. A bit disappointed that I missed out!

      Delete
  10. I LOVE finding vegan Aussie food blogs! At least I have a vague hope to find the ingredients in some of the recipes despite languishing away in Tasmania. I only recently found your blog through actively following vegan mofo for the very first time this year. I originally come from Western Australia so your recent post on Rottnest was particularly poignant to me. The snakes are like flies in W.A. you learn to ignore them...and they learn to ignore you... you just have to stamp around like maniacs all summer long to keep the status quo ;). Cheers on getting married and for sharing it all with us here in the blogosphere and heres to many early morning rss feed readings in the future. I might even start my own vegan food blog for next years mofo. I felt left out! ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding Australian blogs too so your comment was very welcome! Thanks very much :) Interesting to hear you originate from WA too - you will know some of the places I mention quite well I suspect ;)

      Delete
  11. Unfortunately my October has been characterised by sickness - not ideal! But I wanted to say I loved your travel posts and even though I'm not vegan I've book marked a few of your recipes, they sound delicious.
    I know what you mean about the grind of posting every day - I did it for a year and it was hard work.
    I hope November is as relaxing as you wish for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not ideal at all Lisa! I hope you have got all the sickness out of the way, balancing that with frocktober must have been a tricky challenge at time.

      I'm so glad you enjoyed the travel post (more are coming!) and that some of the recipes appeal - that means a lot :)

      Delete
  12. Congrats on a great month of blogging Kari! I'm so glad you signed up for Vegan MoFo, especially since you were still on honeymoon at the start of the October. I honestly don't know how you keep up such a consistent blogging frequency all the time. As much as I enjoyed Vegan MoFo, I'm exhausted after this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are deservedly exhausted Mel! Your involvement was definitely more labour intensive than mine :) I suppose the 'normal' blogging I do incorporates more day-to-day meals and events, which take less time to blog about. Vegan MoFo was really fun though, and I will definitely sign up again next year.

      Delete
  13. Great job finishing out the Vegan Month of Food! Your blog was one of my favorites to follow for MoFo (as well as all the other Aussie bloggers). Can't wait to hear more from Perth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much NutriWife! That is a really kind comment. You will definitely be getting more Perth from me, don't worry about that :-)

      Delete
  14. I wish I would of known of MoFo prior to October, I would of liked to of joined..maybe next year! Congrats on your success with it!
    I love your recap...you have more blog post in October than I have for this whole year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only heard about it for the first time last year (when I didn't participate) - definitely consider joining in for 2013! You don't have to be fully vegan to do it, just post vegan posts for the month :)

      Delete
  15. Kari, I've so missed reading your blog :( I have a feeling November is going to be the worst month ever so every time I feel overwhelmed, I shall come over here to calm myself down.
    I understand what you mean when you say variety. I've thought about just doing a food blog where I only post recipes and pictures of food. However, as much as I love to food and share recipes, when it comes down to it, my blog is my creative outlet...a place where I can let my mind run wild, pour out my heart, or just simply to organize my thoughts and emotions. And that's the kind of blogs I like to read too! LIke yours! As much as I love and get excited about learning and trying out different vegetarian recipes, the sense of camaraderie and closeness I feel from getting to know you a lil bit more is priceless. Words are so powerful, aren't they? Even though I've never met you, I feel that we'll be good friends ;). Ok, maybe I sound a bit freaky now haha.

    Now time to catch up on all these wonderful recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Min, this comment is so lovely - thank you so much! It means a lot that you took the time to write it, and your words are so kind. I definitely feel the same and the camaraderie that comes from blogging is really wonderful :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).