Friday, October 26, 2012

Vegan English baking: Cherry scones

I have had a terrible time with scones this month. In theory, they are an easy treat to whip up. I had intended them to be my very first vegan English baking post. As you may have guessed, things didn't go quite according to plan.

The first batch I made used half spelt flour and half wholemeal flour. In the process of dividing the flour quantities in two, I managed to halve my baking powder quantity by mistake. The scones rose poorly, not helped by my decision to use frozen cherries in that batch. They were more like biscuits than scones.

This is not how scones should look

In my second batch, I used the right amount of baking powder but still ended up with flatter than optimal scones. I wasn't sure what had gone wrong. Eventually I wondered if my baking powder wasn't working as it should, as I was down to the last dregs in my container.

Better, but still not great

For my third batch, I decided to play things safe and use self-raising flour as well as baking soda (bicarbonate of soda). I have always associated baking powder with scone recipes (which is baking soda plus cream of tartar), but this article touches on the possible variations in rising agents, and the possible successes and failures you can achieve with scones if you tweak what you use. Self-raising flour and baking soda both seem to be acceptable alternatives as rising agents.

I am pleased to say that the third batch worked. I have also bought new baking powder and hope to avoid flat baking results from now on!

And finally - risen scones (thank goodness)

Cherry scones are something I have only ever seen in the north of England. I first came across them in 2003, when I was travelling England on my own. I remember browsing the food hall of Fenwick's department store in Newcastle Upon Tyne and seeing cherry scones alongside the other varieties. After seeing them there, they were suddenly everywhere - in the Newcastle Marks & Spencer's food hall, and in other supermarkets in the area.

On our most recent trip, I was thrilled to see cherry scones when we reached Durham. For those not familiar with northern England, Durham is about 1 hour south of Newcastle Upon Tyne, and Newcastle is about 2.5 hours south of Edinburgh. I am sure cherry scones must exist in the south of England, but I have never seen them there.

Top and centre - cherry scones

We didn't buy any cherry scones on this trip, but my previous experiences have all been positive. Whilst I don't usually like glace cherries, they work quite well in scone form as their sweetness is offset by the plainer scone surrounding them. I like other varieties of fruit scone too, but cherry is particularly pleasing to me.

Johanna has touched on the history of scones previously (and indeed, has an amazing array of scone recipes on her blog), so I won't repeat her points here. As she noted, scones originated in Scotland rather than England, despite the south of England providing the names for Devonshire tea and Cornish clotted tea. Johanna has also outlined that Australian and English scones may be more aligned with biscuits or shortcake in the States. Angharad at Eating for England has posted on this too. It's a confusing business, for something that is a simple flour / butter / milk product!

I was hoping to find some history specific to cherry scones, but wasn't able to find anything particularly compelling. I was interested to see this post refer to cherry scones (or 'Sgoniau Ceirios') as a Welsh product. I suppose there are many varieties of fruit scones and cherry scones have no doubt evolved in multiple places.

Across my three batches of cherry scones, I tried a number of cherry options. The first batch used frozen cherries. This worked well but does make for a heavier scone (especially, of course, if you omit half the baking powder). My second batch used both dried cherries and glace cherries. I think I liked this mix best. I would have done the same for my third batch, but had used the dried cherries up, so used currants and glace cherries instead. You could use glace cherries only, but I would recommend a combination of dried tart cherries and glace cherries if you have access to both.


Cherry scones
This quantity makes 6 - 8 scones; double ingredients for a larger batch
Vegan


Ingredients
1 tbsp vinegar
1/2 cup minus 1 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used almond)
1 1/3 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
Pinch of salt
35 - 40g non-dairy spread (I used nuttelex)
Scant 1/4 cup glace cherries, chopped in half
Scant 1/4 cup dried cherries


Method
Preheat your oven to 220'C and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.

Place the 1 tbsp vinegar in the bottom of a 1/2 measuring cup and top up with the non-dairy milk. Set aside to curdle.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Rub in the non-dairy spread with your fingers, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the glace cherries and dried cherries and the vinegar-milk mix. Stir to combine and knead to form a soft dough.

Roll the dough out lightly on a floured surface, to ~2cm thickness. Cut out rounds using the top of a glass dipped in flour or a cookie cutter, and place on the prepared baking tray.

Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.


Have you ever tried cherry scones? Or do you have your own favourite scone variety?

This post is part of my Vegan Month of Food contributions for October 2012. 

22 comments:

  1. Seriously, do you own a bakery? Everything you post looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee...thanks Tasha :) Sometimes it feels like we have a bit too many bakery products coming through the kitchen, but somehow we get through them (and/or share them / freeze them!).

      Delete
  2. I agree Tasha!! :) These scones look so good! I have only ever attempted to make scones once....cinnamon chip. They turned out alright, but I bet cherry would be yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinnamon chip scones sound great! Now I would like to try those :)

      Delete
  3. I always find scones to be very difficult to make...mine always turn out so dry! Yours look delectable though. LOVE the cherry infusion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! I really do like cherries in this form.

      Delete
  4. I'm so impressed you kept with it. And all the results look delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you! This would definitely fit within the pantheon of American scones, too; they flavour 'em with all kinds of things. For me, scone have always been the simple, not-sweet, ethereal creations smothered in jam and cream. But I wouldn't say no to these in my Devonshire Tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When googling scones, I was interested to see how many flavours / recipes came out from American sites. They don't seem to do plain scones in the way I think of them (fluffy and, well, plain) but they sure seem to enjoy flavoured varieties!

      Delete
  6. I love your baking creation, Kari - honestly I've never even seen/heard of a CHERRY scone before.... but I do love a nice sultana scone. I'm not the biggest fan of glace cherries (they honestly make me gag!) but the idea of tart dried cherries/frozen sounds really good.

    Perfect with some vegan coconut "whipped cream" I bet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou - I had contemplated making coconut whipped cream but then didn't get to it! I think it would go beautifully with the cherries though, and you are right in that tart dried cherries are on a different level to the glace ones. I don't like glace most of the time but do like them in this form though :)

      Delete
  7. Third time's the charm!!! :) I have never had cherry. I did have a cinnamon scone recently with my chai tea and it was a win win combo! Love scones and I have not made in years but so fun to see them turn out 'right' isn't it?? I am soooon not a baker!! Excellent job on your success, next time I see a cherry scone I will think of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teri! It is definitely fun when things turn out right, and I love the idea of a cinnamon scone with chai too :)

      Delete
  8. I've only made scones once but loved them- you're inspiring me to make them again! these look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Definitely do have another go, they are very fun to eat and fun to make too if your baking powder behaves ;)

      Delete
  9. Good on you for persevering with scone baking. That's a lot of scones you've made. I've never had a cherry scone nor have a heard of them before. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen them in Australia either - sadly. Perhaps they'll come eventually!

      Delete
  10. These scones turned out so well in the end. I have never had a cherry scone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're quite rare in this part of the world I think - hopefully you'll get a chance one day (or make your own!) because they are quite delicious.

      Delete
  11. I am not a face of glace cherries so have avoided cherry scones - though whether I have had the opportunity to eat them or just seen the recipe in scone recipes books I can't say. I much prefer pumpkin scones. I am interested in your claim that glace cherries work better in scones.

    Am glad you found a scone you were pleased with. I generally do ok with scones but I put that down to them being in my blood as ever since I can remember I have seen my mother and grandmothers pulling trays of scones out of the oven. But I have read instructions on making scones in books that make me quiver for all the things that can go wrong. My main problem I have had is where the amount of milk isn't specified and I haven't been generous enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely have pumpkin scones so we need to do a bit of a scone flavour swap :) In saying that, if you truly hate glace cherries I'm not sure how you'd find these. I can't stand them plain and don't much like them in any form, but don't think I have the passionate dislike that some people have for them.

      I had great fun looking over your scone posts when planning this entry. You have an impressive collection and I can certainly believe that scones are in your blood!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).