Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Vegan English baking: Dark chocolate tiffin

Of the English baking posts we’ve had thus far, the first one on cherry bakewell tarts was for me.

The second, on fruit digestive biscuits, was for both of us.

This one is all for Mr Bite.



Until last year, I hadn’t actually heard of tiffin. It appeared in our fridge unexpectedly when my (now) sister-in-law made it for Mr Bite, as a way of saying thank you for some thing or other. I was interested to discover that it was quite like an Australia hedgehog slice, but with a solid chocolate top rather than an icing-style one, the addition of dried fruit, and the omission of egg and white or icing sugar. Tiffin can also be called a chocolate refrigerator cake, which I probably had heard of but not thought much about. Cadbury reportedly makes a tiffin bar, but as I have never seen or tried it, I can't comment on how similar it is to the home-made variety.

Whatever name it goes by, tiffin is a rich and chocolatey snack. The core ingredients are biscuits, butter, sugar, golden syrup, dried fruit and chocolate, which results in a product you’d probably like to have on hand if you were stuck in a snow storm and needed to survive for weeks with minimal provisions!


The history of the recipe was actually quite hard to find. In part, this is because 'tiffin' can also refer to an Indian meal involving multiple small dishes, a bit like the Japanese bento box. The chocolate tiffin appears to be of Scottish origin, which may suggest that my thoughts about cold weather provisions are accurate (and means that my post title is actually inaccurate...).  I imagine that similar no-bake chocolate recipes have evolved around the world, and tiffin happens to be the Scottish variety.

As with digestive biscuits, this is an easy recipe to veganise. Indeed, most tiffin recipes seem to include digestive biscuits as the biscuit of choice. From there, it is easy to use non-dairy spread and dark or dairy-free chocolate to keep the ingredient list animal product free. It is a good example of how vegan doesn’t necessarily equal healthy, and underscores my beliefs about vegan stereotypes being very misguided at times!  Although most recipes limit the dried fruit to raisins, I used ginger too as I recalled the vegan dark chocolate and ginger tiffin on the menu of York's Goji Cafe. Mr B likes ginger in chocolate form, at least in moderation, so it seemed a good version to try out.


Note the fifth listing...

Although I have retained ‘baking’ in my post title, this is of course baking free. This means that where we have 'Vegan English baking' we should really have 'Vegan Scottish no-baking'. I apologise for placing wording consistency over wording accuracy! An advantage of the no-bake nature is that this is very easy to make, and can be made ahead and kept in the fridge until required. It can also be adapted to the biscuit, dried fruit and chocolate you prefer.

Dark chocolate tiffin
An easy, rich, high-chocolate dish
Adapted from this recipe
Makes 12 - 14 small slices; double quantities for a bigger batch
Vegan


Ingredients
50g non-dairy spread (I used nuttelex)
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp brown sugar
1.5 tbsp cocoa
100g digestive biscuits
40g dried ginger, chopped small
25g raisins
100g dark (or dairy-free) chocolate


Method
Melt the non-dairy spread, golden syrup, brown sugar and cocoa in the microwave or over the stove top, on low heat and stirring regularly.

Crush the digestive biscuits roughly in a plastic bag, and then add to the melted mixture, along with the dried fruit. Mix well.

Line a loaf tin (or square baking pan) with non-stick baking paper. Transfer the tiffin mix to the tin and press down evenly. Refrigerate for at least one hour.

When the tiffin base has chilled, melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or over the stove top and pour over the base. Return to the fridge to set (at least two hours) before cutting into slices.


For something so easy, this is an attractive dish and I have noted it as a good option for entertaining. It could almost be made before work on a day it is needed in the evening - which is a good back up to have to hand.

Have you ever tried, or heard of, tiffin?


This post is part of my Vegan Month of Food contributions for October 2012. 

22 comments:

  1. I've only ever heard of the tiffin containers before so this is a new one for me! I might have to tuck this away for the man as he was asking me about making hedgehog recently. I never cared for it as a child but perhaps I'll appreciate tiffin more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your man likes hedgehog, I am pretty sure he would like this - Mr B loves both!

      Delete
  2. I have had tiffin before - didn't realize it was vegan - just extremely rich tasting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the vegan-ness would depend on the biscuits and chocolate used, but there is at least a high chance! Very rich though, regardless :)

      Delete
  3. Very interesting! Thank you for the history and background info on tiffin as I've NEVER heard of it before! You had me at "rich and chocolatey snack", though! ;) And I LOVE the addition of ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonder how this would go with your home made digestives - sounds wonderful anyway - I particularly love the mix of chocolate and golden syrup.

    As for the name, I have just checked with our resident Scot and E says that he has never heard of it as chocolate slice - he suspects he may have a misguided idea of tiffin after it was used somewhat suggestively in British comedy of his youth. I had thought that tiffin was what we called trail mix when I was young but I may be mistaken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, now I am very intrigued by E's tiffin ideas!! I would have liked to find more definitive history as the sites I was looking at may not be reliable...it is an interesting name and I am sure there is more history that I didn't dig up.

      I think homemade digestives would go brilliantly, but will confess to using the packet sort!

      Delete
  5. Hmm....I have never heard of it before, but it looks amazing! I had to google a digestive biscuit as well. lol! I always learn something new on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means a lot Kate - I am quietly thrilled that I get to tell you some new things ;) Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Craisins for raisins and maybe a handful of praline pecans, and I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if we made those changes, I might be in too :)

      Delete
  7. What a yummy looking recipe, Kari. I just love the look of this. It would have great texture with those biscuits in it. It really does remind me of hedgehog slice, something I haven't had for a long time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Charlie - it is a very easy recipe to add to your repertoire and I agree that the texture is one of the key things.

      Delete
  8. For me tiffin was always either those Indian lunch boxes or a snack type meal, like supper. I love hedgehog slice so I imagine I would love this. Although I'm still dieting so won't be trying it any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, truly? (Re. dieting!) I will refrain from commenting but hope tiffin can creep in some time soon - it is like hedgehog but perhaps just a smidgen more adult :)

      Delete
  9. This looks scrumptious, and has a fabulous name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They sound easy, and delicious! The only tiffin I've ever heard of is the stackable lunch container thingies. But I love when cookies are embedded within things, so I think I would prefer this tiffin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa - I hope you like it if you try it!

      Delete
  11. I have never heard of tiffin! But this recipe looks so good....and chocolatey!!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).