Thursday, October 25, 2012

Vegan brownie bites with avocado and coconut flour

Some times, I make recipes with a great deal of anticipation and planning.

Other times, I make things almost without thought, combining ingredients on whim and being guided by spur of the moment decisions.

Recently, faced with avocado to use up and a vague desire for chocolate, I set out to make chocolate avocado mousse. Half way through I veered off and added dates and coconut flour. At some point before finishing, I decided that I was making brownies and not mousse.

This could have ended badly. Instead, it resulted in one of my favourite chocolate recipes. Ever.


These have just 5 ingredients. They take 5 minutes to prepare. There aren't baked, and the refrigeration time is minimal. And they taste like brownies. Genuinely, unbelievably, incredibly like brownies.


I would describe the texture as a cross between raw brownies and regular cooked brownies - dense, and fudgey, and slightly chewy. I liked it a lot. I liked everything about these a lot.

You don't have to take my word for it though. You could whip these up right now and sit down to try them in just one short hour.


Vegan brownie bites
Made with avocado and coconut flour, these are everything a brownie should be
A spur of the moment creation
Makes about 12 bite-sized serves
Vegan and high raw


Ingredients
1 small avocado (mine weighed 100g with skin and stone)
1/4 cup cocoa (the higher the quality the better)
1/4 cup coconut flour
6 dates, chopped in half
1 - 2 tbsp maple syrup (I used 1 tbsp and found that sweet enough; use more to taste)

Method
Process the avocado in a food processor until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and process until well combined and starting to clump together.

Press the brownie mixture into a loaf tin or other container lined with baking paper. Set in the fridge for approximately one hour before cutting into squares and serving. Lick the food processor bowl while waiting.


I think I'll be needing more avocados before long.

What was your last unplanned but worthwhile kitchen creation? I have quite a lot of unplanned creations, but they aren't always full successes!

Submitted to Ricki's Wellness Weekend.

This post is part of my Vegan Month of Food contributions for October 2012. 

28 comments:

  1. it are posts like these that leave me in awe of u baker geniuses! seriously, who in their right mind thinks of avocado to turn into scrummy brownies!! i tip my little runner visor to u...sooo cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cait! Avocados actually do wonders for all sorts of desserts :)

      Delete
  2. YUM. I am very sad I am without avocados, coconut flour and cacao at this point in time :( These sound awesome - simple ingredient list AND simple to prepare - win & win :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious and very easy to make and good for you too - like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like my brownies fudgy - and I love your plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like mine fudgy too - and thanks re. the plate :) It's part of a set we got for our wedding!

      Delete
  5. They sound really interesting! I still haven't used avocado in sweets but have been meaning to.

    The things I throw together without much planning usually work out better than the recipes I've been stewing over for ages! I need to get into the habit of writing the spur of the moment ones down and taking photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's odd the way that planning can backfire sometimes. Definitely give avocados a go at some point because they do wonders, and if you don't have a big sweet tooth, they also might give flavours that you quite like (I find them to help offset the sugar / sweeteners of dishes) :)

      Delete
  6. so that is what coconut flour is for - sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too - finally I can use it for something that doesn't backfire and turn crumbly!

      Delete
  7. I bought 4 organic avocados today and when I cut them open they were all bad. I was going to experiment with them - not as adventurously as you, but still, I was going to dabble. Such a shame. I'll buy some more and try your brownies - they look and sound amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All 4 of them?? Oh Charlie, how horrible (especially after buying organic). Definitely get some more and I hope the new ones fare better!

      Delete
  8. This is so close to the pumpkin-cacao-mesquite-coconut-flour pudding I've been making here in Toronto, so thick I can stand my spoon up in it! Or, well, maybe quite different, but I think we'd both like each other's creations equally ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome ingredient list!!
    I love brownies raw (I can't help myself with that batter) and of course cooked so this sounds perfect for me!!
    YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that a Rob Ryan plate I spy? I love Rob Ryan. These brownie bites look great as well - love the addition of avocado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go and check on my plates :) They were a lovely gift, there are four different prints and each of them is appealing in its own way.

      Delete
  11. Only 5 ingredients? IMPRESSIVE!! I have yet to try the avocado/brownie combinations. I imagine it is nothing but delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Avocado in brownies, yum! I've only used avocado in chocolate pudding but never in brownies, will have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound great! Now I just need an avocado and I'm ready to try. Thanks Kari!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).