Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sushi salad, inspired by Giraffe


I must admit, I had fun naming this post. It may not be a title that makes sense at first glance. I am referring, you see, to Giraffe of the restaurant rather than animal variety.

Giraffe is an English restaurant chain that I had seen on many occasions but not eaten in until our latest trip. On looking into its origins, it seems that the first Giraffe store opened in Hampstead in 1998. By the end of 2011, the chain had grown to 45 restaurants and produced a Giraffe cookbook. They must be doing something right!

Our Giraffe visit was on our very last day in England, as we were exploring the town where Mr Bite spent his childhood years. I had always thought of him as growing up in a suburb of Birmingham, but in fact he lived in a separate town just outside of Birmingham. Solihull took me by surprise in this regard, and the town centre was as far removed from the hustle of Birmingham (which will get posted eventually...) as one could imagine. It was a beautiful town, well-equipped and scenic and with appealing architecture.

Solihull town centre

Giraffe was located in a fairly new shopping centre in the heart of the town. I was enticed by the soba noodle and edamame salad listed on their menu, and we agreed that the relaxed restaurant vibe was appropriate for our final lunch in England. The chain's motto is to provide "freshly cooked food for everyone served to the sound of great music — guaranteed to make you feel good!". The reference to music makes me feel badly for not noticing it while we were there, but I agree that the menu would be likely to have something for everyone. Main meal options include a range of burgers and focaccias, Mexican enchiladas  various meat and fish dishes, Asian-style noodles, risottos, and plenty  of salads.


Unfortunately, once we got inside the soba noodle salad had disappeared off the menu. This was a bit perplexing and it turns out that their menu had recently been updated, with the changes not yet made to the exterior version. The soba noodle salad had been replaced by a tabbouleh one, which looked nice but didn't appeal to me on the day.

Fortunately, my replacement order was good enough to make thoughts of noodles fade into the background. I asked for their 'California sushi rice salad with oak smoked salmon', but minus the salmon. I was delighted to have the waiter take time to ask if I was vegetarian, and if so, if I wanted something else instead of salmon (or to have the dish charged at a reduced cost). I opted to have edamame beans and it was a real pleasure to have the staff be so accommodating and genuinely happy to modify the dish for me.


The sushi salad came with mango and a wasabi lime dressing, plenty of broccoli, and sheets of seaweed underneath. It was wonderful. Mr Bite had a vegetarian focaccia that was reportedly good but not stellar, but I don't think I would have changed any aspect of my meal. The edamame beans, on the side, were a lovely addition and were flavoured with chilli and sea salt.


Over the weekend, I got around to creating my own version of sushi salad. It is only loosely based on the above dish - I added strawberries instead of mango, used different flavourings, and tweaked the vegetables. It was equally good. Sushi is such a versatile dish and salad versions of it are the same - easy to modify to taste and circumstance and convenience.



Sushi salad
This makes 2 main-meal serves, but can easily be adapted
Vegan


Ingredients
1 cup sushi (short-grain) rice, rinsed in cold water 
1.5 – 2 cups water 
2 tbsp rice vinegar 
4 sheets dried seaweed (available in most supermarkets) 
1 bunch bok choi or pak choi, rinsed and chopped 
½ - 1 cup broccoli florets 
½ cup shelled edamame beans (available in Asian supermarkets) 
3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce (or any other Asian sauce of choice) 
Pickled ginger and strawberries, to serve 

Method
In a medium saucepan, add the sushi rice to the water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 12 – 14 minutes or according to packet instructions. Allow to stand for 5 – 10 minutes, then transfer to a bowl and mix in the rice vinegar. 

While the rice is cooling, steam your bok choi / pak choi and broccoli for 5 minutes, or until just cooked but still crisp. In a separate saucepan, cook the edamame beans in boiling water for 5 minutes. 

When the rice has cooled, line two large bowls with 2 sheets of seaweed each. Add half of the rice to each bowl along with half of the vegetables (bok choi / pak choi, broccoli, edamame beans) and half of the sauce. Top with pickled ginger and strawberries and serve.


Beautifully simple. Not quite as well-located as the version I ate in Solihull, but beautiful nonetheless!

For another take on sushi salad, check out Johanna's post on Green Gourmet Giraffe last week.
Are you a fan on this twist on regular sushi?


This post is part of my Vegan Month of Food contributions for October 2012. 

23 comments:

  1. How nice of the restaurant to be accommodating!! That's awesome. I'm a HUGE fan of sushi so a sushi salad at home sounds perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome indeed :) Definitely a thumbs up from me!

      Delete
  2. What a shame I missed Giraffe on my previous time in the UK - sounds like a great place - if only every restaurant was so accommodating of veg diets. I find it interesting that the nori is at the bottom of the salad. Eating fresh crisp nori on sushi was such a revelation that I love to keep the nori as fresh as possible. Great to have a little more of your holiday in your kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given it also has your name, I think you would like it :) You'd probably notice the music too! I was interested by the nori at the bottom as well, but I found I quite liked it with the sauce soaked in. A different sort of experience to the fresh crisp sort, but enjoyable nonetheless.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE sushi!!!! The best place to get it is either in Seattle or Portland that is close to where I live. I wish that my husband liked it as much as me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Bite used to, but now he doesn't. Odd! Also frustrating, but he does like other Japanese food at least :)

      Delete
  4. That looks really good. I have a big bag of sushi rice that I bought to make sushi ONE time and have never used since (my sushi skills were not great.) This would be good with avocado, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my sushi rice tends to sit there like that too :P That's another reason that this is a handy dish! The Giraffe version I had did have avocado actually - so you're right in that it goes well. I just don't like it much so my version took it out ;)

      Delete
  5. Once a week at the moment I'm making a bowl of sushi. If not The Monkeys get a little restless!
    Your Giraffe one looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love your Monkey children's taste buds :) You need a Giraffe restaurant here for them to visit and you'd all be happy and there'd be great fun from the name combination!

      Delete
  6. I love soba noodles so what a shame they took that option off the menu! (And I'm not mad on taboulleh). What an interesting sushi salad - it has so many colours, textures and flavours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same Charlie - soba noodles rate highly but taboulleh not so much. I may have to make a soba noodle salad now we're home as well, to get that in after missing out!

      Delete
  7. Love the pictures of Solihull, looks so quaint with the brick roads! It's such a good feeling when restaurants accommodate protein replacements and is a nice surprise when they offer them up on their own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solihull was really lovely - quaint sums it up perfectly, but they managed to have modern stores as well (a hard combination for many places!). Protein replacements are all too rare you're right...points to Giraffe for doing it!

      Delete
  8. Perfect perfect! Though I did think you meant Johanna at first :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to try and work her into the post, in light of her own sushi salad, but I failed to do it succinctly and so gave up :P

      Delete
  9. Yum... I love sushi-flavoured anything. Can never get enough pickled ginger/wasabi. I really love how you added strawberries - beautiful sweetness and a lovely colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I didn't put wasabi in my salad. Perhaps the chocolate coated wasabi peas I'd been eating the previous week had kept me satisfied :P The strawberries were essential though!

      Delete
  10. The sushi salad looks great! I've never been much of a fan of sushi as I just find there is too much rice involved in relation to everything else. A sushi salad sounds so much better especially with a heap of vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really taken with it - I don't know why I have never thought of it before! I suppose it's just rice and vegetables but the rice vinegar and nori do seem to make a difference.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).