Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chocolate-coated peas and beans

If I didn't already have a blog, I think I would like to have one with the title of this post. It has a nice ring to it, chocolate-coated peas and beans.

It turns out, they also have a nice taste to them, chocolate-coated peas and beans.


The inspiration for these chocolate snacks comes from my time wandering supermarket aisles in the U.K. The mix of flavours was far ahead of those I have seen in Australia, with unusual (to me) pairings and enticing combinations I had never thought of.

Wasabi chocolate and chocolate-coated edamame beans, I am looking at you.

On the long flight home, I started planning the things I would like to make in honour of Vegan MoFo this month. Chocolate-coated wasabi peas was one thing that came quickly to mind, and after getting home I branched out to included chocolate-coated chilli broad beans too.


I had quite high hopes for how these would turn out, and I can only say that my hopes were exceeded. 


Even if you don't usually like wasabi, and even if you don't like chilli broad beans - please try these. They are truly good. And as a bonus, you can make them in very little time, with very few ingredients, and when feeling a little worse for wear due to jet lag. What more can one ask for in a chocolate snack?!


Chocolate-coated wasabi peas and chilli broad beans
Makes about 2 cups
Vegan


Ingredients
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup good-quality cocoa
1/8 cup maple syrup
~1 cup wasabi peas
~1 cup chilli broad beans

(Note. You can buy wasabi peas and chilli broad beans from most Asian stores, bulk food stores, and even Asian aisles in major supermarkets. The ones I have seen have always been vegan but you may want to check individual ingredient lists.)


Method
Line two baking trays or dishes with non-stick baking paper and set aside.

If necessary, melt the coconut oil to bring it to liquid form. When the coconut oil is liquid, add the cocoa and maple syrup and warm over low heat until the chocolate mixture is easy to stir. (I did this using low power in the microwave.)

Divide the melted chocolate mixture between two medium bowls. Add the wasabi peas to one and the chilli broad beans to another, and mix through well to coat. Ideally all peas / beans will be well covered in chocolate, but you may want to leave some partially coated for contrast.

Transfer the chocolate peas and beans to your lined baking trays and set in the fridge for at least 2 hours, and preferably 4 - 6. Break into individual peas / beans, or into larger blocks, when set.



Seriously, wonderfully, messily good.


Of course, there are many other fillings you could use for these, including spiced nuts or even Japanese-style rice crackers.


For now? I may just have a new favourite in chocolate, and so I think I will stick with these.

What is the most unusual chocolate flavour you have tried? 

And are you a fan of wasabi peas straight up? I am, but it took a bit of time to grow used to them!


This post is part of my Vegan Month of Food contributions for October 2012.

31 comments:

  1. I have seriously NEVER heard of this chocolate-covered creation and I thought I had seen it all as far as chocolate is concerned.

    I love these ingredients, but never would have thought to combine them. Bookmarked this page to experiment!

    Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them Tanya! They are super easy and seriously worth experimenting with :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing! I am trying this one for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! I am totally going to try these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing. I've never heard of choc covered peas/beans before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either but I'm taken with them now :)

      Delete
  5. Woah, I would love to try this. This beats wasabi peas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like wasabi peas... actually wasabi most things. I like that blow your head off for a couple of seconds feeling it gives when you eat it straight too.
    Not sure what the oddest chocolate combo I've tried is... I do know I'm yet to meet one I haven't liked though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you may just like these - particularly the wasabi hit underneath!

      Delete
  7. I've seen the Wasabi Lindt Chocolate but haven't tried it and those who have tried it just rave about it so I'm sure your wasabi pea chocolates would be just as good. I would like to try these. Welcome home! I hope the flight home wasn't too arduous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the wasabi Lindt chocolate in London but am actually yet to try it. I can't wait to, though, especially after these! Also, thank you :-) The flight was long but otherwise not too terrible.

      Delete
  8. wow you must have so much inspiration from your travels to bring to vegan mofo - I would give these a try if offered though I find wasabi peas too spicy so am just not sure - but you have me interested with your comment that the chocolate tames the spice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More inspiration than time, that is for sure! You may have noticed I'm starting with quick-ish recipes :-) I do enjoy wasabi peas but have to be in the mood for spice. These were definitely countered by chocolate though, but if you're unsure, the chilli broad beans could be a safer option? They were less spicey and equally good.

      Delete
  9. I've seen chocolate covered edamame at Trader Joe's here in the states...but chocolate covered wasabi beans are new to me! And they sound oh so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting combination, I would love to try the wasabi peas covered in chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty wonderful, if I do say so myself. I will be having them again!

      Delete
  11. Yum! Oh my gosh yum. I like the look of the broad beans most, but both are good! Interesting chocolate - I am in love with sea salt chocolate. I don;t think it's thaaat weird, but the taste is surprising - every time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally almost bought wasabi pea chocolate AND Trader Joe's chocolate coated edamame today, but the lines were too long (they were making people queue up outside to even ENTER Trader Joe's. Holy smokes.)

    When I have a kitchen.... these are happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the best thing? When you have a kitchen, you'll be able to make them quicker than it would haven taken to queue (well, minus the setting time) :-) They are dangerously easy, given how addictive they are to eat.

      Delete
  13. wow! I would NEVER think to combine these with chocolate but now you have me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd have thought of it either, a month ago!

      Delete
  14. Wasabi peas? I would never have thought of that! I love wasabi peas! I just recently discovered sriracha coated ones, and they were quite marvelous as well! The recipe seems very simple! Totally making these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, sriracha coated? I'll have to look out for them.

      Delete
  15. haha..okay, now i'm almost tempted to force u into making another blog with that title because it has such cache!! :) okay i've been hearing so much about the beany revolution in desserts but am too lame in the kitchen to try it myself and none of my baker friends have made me goodies. but i'm all for chocolate in ANY form...well, maybe not the unsweetened kind. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was almost tempted to get another blog with the name just because I love it so much :D

      Delete
  16. Why yes, this is a great combination! For all of those who never heard of this combination of chocolate & wasabi, come check us out!

    www.chocwasabi.com

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).