Friday, June 9, 2017

Vegan peanut butter cacao truffle balls - no food processor required

Do you like peanut butter cups (vegan or otherwise)? Yes, me too. However, they are pretty sickly sweet. Even with my capacity to put away a whole heap of chocolate, eating more than two of the commercial sort would leave me feeling a bit unwell. Homemade versions help offset the sugar hit (I've posted a vegan recipe before) but they can be a bit fiddly.


These cacao peanut butter balls keep the classic combination of chocolate and peanut butter, but cut out the sickly sweet aspect of commercial peanut butter cups, and avoid the fiddliness of homemade versions. They are a decidedly grown up, adult, semi-sweet treat that you can make in about 5 minutes. Win-win!

I adapted these from the peanut butter cacao energy balls I posted 2 years ago. In truth, the adaptations are minor, but these truffles are more peanut butter-y than my previous recipe and less fruity (the 2015 version had dried cranberries and goji berries). I like both versions and encourage you to figure out which one you prefer.


I used regular peanut butter and peanut butter powder in these, which adds to the decadent peanutty taste. However, I know PB powder isn't available everywhere and so I have included a note for making these without if needed.

Peanut butter cacao truffle balls
Semi-sweet, super tasty, rich and decadent - these truffle balls take the classic mix of peanut butter and chocolate and take it to a whole new level!
Vegan and gluten free

Makes 16 or so balls

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup peanut butter powder (I use PB Fit) - or add 2 tbsp further peanut butter + 1 tbsp further of any of the dry ingredients below
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup cacao nibs
1/4 cup cacao /cocoa powder
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp non-dairy milk of choice
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir thoroughly to combine. The mixture will clump together and you will be able to roll it into balls using your hands.

Shape your truffle balls and refrigerate until needed; however, these are quite firm at room temperature.


What treats are you enjoying this week?

8 comments:

  1. Yum! You can't go wrong with this flavour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only ever had one peanut butter cup ever, and yes agree so so sweet. I do hope to give them a go with a variation filling one day, but have to say I do like your version too. I wonder if they would work with maca powder, which I think I have mentioned to you before in place of the PB powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maca powder would be great! I think using that and almond butter with the cocoa would be particularly tasty, but you could keep the peanut butter too.

      Delete
  3. Perhaps peanut butter cups being so sweet is one reason I have sometimes wondered if I like the peanut butter chocolate combo - I have liked it in other bakes but the few pb cups I have tasted haven't sat well with me - I would much prefer these balls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think commercial PB/chocolate products are often very sweet, so that would make sense - even aside from PB cups themselves. You could make these with almond butter too if catering to Sylvia :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm obsessed with anything peanut butter and chocolate! These will be a fun way for me to have them in a healthier way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Do you like peanut butter cups" It's like my krytonite... I really need to not eat so many of the packaged ones. I like this recipe to make at home to stave off my cravings. Easier on my health and pocketbook!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).