Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Chickpea scramble with hemp seeds - Two ways

When I mentioned my recent purchase of hemp seeds, several of you expressed interest in how the seeds could be used. Following on from my sweet recipe for orange and hemp seed energy balls, today's post features two variations on chickpea scramble that incorporate hemp seeds in the mix: tomato, paprika and turmeric scramble, and carrot and coriander scramble.

Tomato, paprika and turmeric scramble

I love chickpea scrambles for their versatility and often make them as part of a meal for Mini Bite. They are good for little hands to pick up and I like that they can be varied to include whatever ingredients I have in the house, whilst keeping a core base that provides carbohydrate and protein. By adding hemp seeds you get healthy fats too.



The two recipes below are really just examples and you can mix and match to suit your own kitchen and tastes. And of course, whilst I am showcasing hemp seeds here, you could use different seeds as well. With that said, I do recommend these combinations as mixes that come together well and taste delicious.

Carrot and coriander scramble

Carrot and coriander chickpea scramble with hemp seeds
Serves 4 if pairing with sides
Vegan and gluten free

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup chickpea (besan) flour
1 cup water
1 tbsp hemp seeds
1/3 cup grated carrot
1/3 cup frozen green peas (or fresh)
Few tbsp chopped fresh coriander (half a bunch)

Method
Add the flour, water and hemp seeds to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the carrot, peas and coriander and stir through. 

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil if needed. When the pan is hot, pour your scramble mixture in and cook for 2-3 minutes until it starts to dry out. Break up with a spatula or spoon and flip over. Continue cooking, stirring and flipping regularly, until all pieces are golden (another few minutes).

Tomato, paprika and turmeric scramble

Tomato, paprika and turmeric chickpea scramble with hemp seeds
Serves 4 if pairing with sides
Vegan and gluten free

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup chickpea (besan) flour
1 cup water
1 tbsp hemp seeds
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp ground turmeric

Method

Add the flour, water and hemp seeds to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the nutritional yeast, tomato paste, paprika and turmeric and stir through.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil if needed. When the pan is hot, pour your scramble mixture in and cook for 2-3 minutes until it starts to dry out. Break up with a spatula or spoon and flip over. Continue cooking, stirring and flipping regularly, until all pieces are golden (another few minutes).

Are you a fan of chickpea scrambles? Any favourite mixes?

9 comments:

  1. I've not yet got round to making chickpea scramble. I have to admit, I do love chickpeas in all forms, but not sure if I can do scramble, you see i have never been a fan of scramble eggs (though I do like tofu scramble very much), so will have to reserve judgement for this.
    We had a bring and share at work today, I made farinata as it was easy to make last night for today = if you have not had it, I recommend it.
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/its-wild-garlic-but-is-it-farinata-or.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I don't like scrambled eggs either! I was put of chickpea scrambles for a long time for the same reason, but don't find them at all like the egg original (well, a little, but not at all in taste).

      Thanks for the farinata tip, I haven't had it but it sounds like a great dish.

      Delete
  2. Your chickpea scramble looks so lovely and fluffy. I tried hemp milk for the first time the other day and loved it, so I'm definitely looking at investing in a bag and doing some experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! You'll be a hippy hemp convert in no time ;)

      Delete
  3. I love the sound of both your scrambles but the tomato one most - and hemp seeds would go well, when I buy some again. I can imagine they are good baby food - I am not sure that Sylvia likes chickpea scrambles but I love them - recommend them in tacos as I have tried recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for the taco idea! That's a great suggestion.

      Delete
  4. I have never tried chickpea scramble, but the idea fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun! I hope you like it if you do give it a go :-)

      Delete
  5. I loooove hemp seeds. They are so versatile! I have actually never thought of adding them to a scramble, this is a great idea. And it sounds so delicious! A nice, quick meal to make too =)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).