Friday, June 2, 2017

In my kitchen - June 2017

I am linking this in to the monthly In My Kitchen round-up, now hosted by Sherry of Sherry's Pickings.

June. The mid-point of the year, with long days and the commencement of summer. The weather is warming up and it won't be long before smoothies and frozen banana soft serve are present in my kitchen. They aren't here yet - but here are some things that are featuring this month.


In my kitchen, there have been two varieties of legume-based pasta. The red lentil pasta, above, is made by Waitrose and has a gorgeous colour (it fades on cooking but does still come out red). I liked it a lot. The Evexia chickpea fusilli, below, came from my local Sainsbury's but I found it a little dry. 


Whilst the chickpea pasta wasn't a hit, I am delighted to have another bag of chickpea (besan) flour in my kitchen. I was without some for a few weeks but love having it to hand for savoury pikelets / fritters and for scrambles. The pikelets below were a simple mix made with chickpea flour, grated carrot, and some of my new bag of hemp seeds.


In my kitchen is a pack of the new Dee's vegan sausages with dulse seaweed. Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen reviewed them in her IMK post in February


Like Shaheen, I was impressed by the crispy exterior of these sausages. I initiallly disliked the seaweed flavour, but it grew on me with repeated bites and in the end I concluded the ingredients worked.

Dee's sausages at the back; roasted peppers and potato wedges at the front

In my kitchen are some new vegan desserts. Tesco have really gone all out with their vegan range - it seems to expand by the month, as my IMK posts show! - and have recently added several vegan desserts to their selection. I tried the caramel panna cotta and the millionaire's dessert.


Sadly, the caramel panna cotta was too creamy and too sweet for my tastes and will not be a repeat purchase (I ate the second of the two tubs semi-frozen, which improved it, but not enough to justify a repeat buy). The millionaire's pudding featured a chocolate mousse layer on top of a biscuit layer and then a salted caramel layer. The top two layers were incredible; the salted caramel was, to me, too salty.


Also captured above was a cashew-based mango cheesecake by Freaks of Nature. This was nice, although felt like something I could make at home.

Most UK vegans will know the Lazy Days range of vegan slices, most notably their millionaire's shortbread and their chocolate tiffins. I love both. I am fairly sure that until recently their rocky road was not vegan, due to gelatin in the marshmallows, but either I have that wrong or the ingredients have recently changed. Whatever it is - the Lazy Days rocky road is now vegan, and so of course I had to try it.


I liked the rocky road, but was surprised to find the marshmallow pieces on top of a chocolate slice rather than mixed through as I expected. I think the regular chocolate tiffin remains my favourite.

Our fruit bowl, plus the ever present pile of newspapers we are Yet to Read

Last but not least, in my kitchen are the first of the (imported) summer apricots - not quite at their best yet but I couldn't resist a punnet. I am also enjoying gorgeously sweet mandarins, as well as maintaining my love affair with British strawberries.

What is happening in your kitchen this month?

17 comments:

  1. seaweed sausages sound ... interesting. i mean i love seaweed in japanese cooking so it would probably be okay this way too. i must be used to aussie citrus fruit being available and best in winter cos it seems weird to be having mandarins in summer over there.:) i've heard it is quite warm in britain at the moment. thanks for the mention and thanks for joining in IMK this month. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess mandarins aren't really a British product at all, so we get them at odd times depending on where they are being flown in from :P

      Delete
  2. The dulse sausages sound interesting. Dulse is not something that is popular here in Australia, although seaweed in Japanese food is much loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it will take off in time :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Soem of the things in Your kitchen intrigue me. I was not keen on the red lentil pasta, but i'd be happy to try the chickpeas one, as I do like chickpeas very much + those besan fritters (you must check out my blog post today!) Thanks for the link to the Feb IMK post, I am glad you got to try the Seaweed Sausages. I was a bit disappointed not to see them at the Bristol VegFest this year.

    And fresh fruit, you will be jealous to note that I harvested some homegrown strawberries and wild strawberries too. If you lived close, I would have been more than happy to share them with you and minibite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can swap lentil and chickpea pasta with each other in that case, but I would happily share in your strawberries :-) What a kind comment - enjoy your harvest!

      Delete
  4. I am fascinated by the legume pastas - I have never seen such a thing before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they exist in Australia? Maybe it's not as common there yet.

      Delete
  5. Some interesting stuff in your kitchen. I like the look of that lentil pasta though red always disappoints once it is cooked in a pasta. I wish we had Dee's sausages in Australia as I tasted some in the UK and really loved them. You have an impressive range of free-from food available and a fine fruit bowl - even not fantastic apricots make for great stewing (I have started to appreciate how much nicer home made stewed fruit is than the bought stuff)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess even sub-par apricots don't make it to stewing when I'm around - I love them so much! - but if I am particularly greedy mid-summer and end up with too many then I know what to do with them :-)

      Delete
  6. The red lentil pasta is a gorgeous colour. I tried some chick pea pasta the other day and I wasn't overstruck - if you find a good brand, let me know! I love Dee's sausages, though they seem to be sold out more often than any other readymade vegan product I buy - I guess lots of other people must like them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep you posted on chickpea pasta :-) I have only bought the Dee's sausages online through Ocado so fortunately haven't had to contend with them running out!

      Delete
  7. This sounds a little like socca. Have you tried a cromlet?
    http://www.bonappetit.com/story/cromlet-chickpea-omelet
    I think it is next on my list. Love the red lentil pasta, how beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of those savoury pikelets. I should come as no surprise that Chocolate Tiffin would be my favourite too!

    Thanks for the tour. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting things in your kitchen, love the color of that lentil pasta and too bad about the chickpea one.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).