Friday, June 16, 2017

Overnight apple oats and a peanut butter green smoothie, for summer

It might not be the official start of summer here yet (although we are only a week off) but summer is very much in the air. The days are super long (it is light at 10pm!), the sun is shining, and the temperatures are tipping 25'C (hot for England!).


With this summery vibe, I have moved into hot weather territory for breakfast and snacking. In other words, I have re-introduced overnight oats and smoothies to my kitchen. Today's post shares the first of each for this summer season, and I hope you can draw some summer inspiration from them whatever your own weather is doing.



You don't really need recipes for either of these, so use my mixes below purely for inspiration. Happy summer eating!

Overnight apple oats
An easy, classic, make-ahead breakfast for one
Vegan, wheat free

Ingredients
30g (1/3 cup) rolled oats
160ml (2/3 cup) non-dairy milk of choice
1 small apple, grated
1 tbsp sultanas or small raisins
1 tsp chia seeds (optional)
Fresh fruit, to top

Method
Combine all ingredients except the fresh fruit in a bowl and mix together. Refrigerate overnight and add fresh fruit in the morning before serving.

Peanut butter green smoothie
Add a nutty twist to traditional green smoothies
Makes two small smoothies or one large

Blender required

Ingredients
1 cup spinach
1 medium-large frozen banana
325m (1-1/2 cups) water (or milk of choice)
1 tbsp peanut butter

Method
Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and process until fully blended.


What food / kitchen changes mark the changing of the seasons for you?

4 comments:

  1. We have had some lovely crisp winter days (I have always counted seasons starting at the beginning of the month which was what I learnt and still find the UK thing about them starting at about 20th of month a bit weird) but probably need a bit more rain for the garden. So it is all stews and puddings here - I like the look of your smoothie esp as it is something that would never be countenanced in my house but I would love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I find the starting mid-late month weird too, but I am trying to adjust :-) I confess that cool weather with stews and puddings sounds pretty appealing, but with summer so short lived in the UK (usually!) I am trying to soak up the sunshine while it is here.

      Delete
  2. I hear you, it's so hot here too so I've been moving into the same kind of snacks! I've been having smoothies and smoothie bowls for breakfast and haven't felt like cooking big meals so it's more salads for lunch.

    Both of these recipes look delicious! I'll have to try that smoothie this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Ellen - and smoothie bowls are a great idea, thanks for reminding me of those!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).