Friday, June 23, 2017

Banana, pear and yoghurt ice lollies

Sticking with the summer theme, this week I made ice lollies for the first time since I was a child. I use the term 'ice lollies' in an effort to fit in with local (British) nomenclature, but in Australia I knew these treats as icey poles. I think Americans call them popsicles. Whatever term you use, they are a summer classic and lots of fun to make and eat.


As my pictures show, I need a bit of practice with my ice lolly making; I didn't fill the moulds high enough and was left with a gap at the bottom of the stick. Fortunately the lollies held together anyway and next time I will know better.

Predictably, these were a huge hit with Mini Bite too, even though the adult-sized moulds were  bit big for her little hands and little mouth. I have since bought some baby-sized moulds so you can expect more flavours to appear as I test out different combinations on her and for me. In the meantime, I can heartily recommend this banana, pear and yoghurt mix as a creamy, ice cream-like concoction that is as simple to make as it is tasty to eat.



Banana, pear and yoghurt ice lollies
A delicious alternative to ice cream
Makes 4 standard sized lollies
Vegan, low fat, gluten free

Food processor or blender required
Ice lolly moulds required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 medium-large banana
2 medium-large pears
200g / 1 cup plain dairy free yoghurt (I used Alpro plain soya yoghurt)

Method
Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Some flecks of pear skin will remain; this is fine.

Transfer the mix to your lolly moulds. Freeze for at least 4 hours or until set.


Do you have any favourite ice lolly flavour combinations? I'm keen to try some vegetable containing versions next!

9 comments:

  1. these look so cute in those moulds - and I would not think to use pear in an icy pole (I am clinging to the Aussie term in the face of globalisation of terminology) but think it would be great - hope it helped with the heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did indeed :-) And of course it is now cool and rainy so I have moulds without such a need for them!

      Delete
  2. What lovely flavours! A perfect summer treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Icy poles, now that is a descriptive i had not heard before and nor pears in a lolly - interesting. There is a scene in the movie City of Angels where Meg Ryan describes pears to Nicholas Cage as Sweet, juicy, soft on your tongue, grainy like a sugary sand that dissolves in your mouth - that is how I am imagining this lolly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great description (of pears in general and these lollies) :-)

      It's so funny how terms vary across English speaking countries!

      Delete
  4. I've been debating buying lolly moulds (which will now be known as icey pole moulds in our house, as it's just a much better name!) for a while now, on the grounds of whether we'd get enough use out of them. Based on the periods of hot weather hitting London right now, and your lovely reminder of how good vegan icey poles can be, I'm edging towards making that purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Banana, pear and yoghurt ice lollies was a heathy lollies,it was a good for our body, thanks for sharing your own version of ice lollies,I will do this later.

    Truck Lawyers

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).