Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Zucchini noodles with a creamy turmeric dressing

My last post welcomed summery weather. This post would moan about it, if it wasn't for my prickly awareness that at least I have a house to be hot within. Non-UK readers may not be aware of the London fire that hit Grenfell Tower block last week, killing an estimated 79 people and injuring many more. Hot weather isn't anything to complain about when placed in that context.

There is no avoiding, though, that it is hot in England this week. Weather records have been broken and it isn't even summer yet. Regular readers will know how much I dislike the heat (one of the key reasons for my move from Australia to England) and so dishes that keep me cool are high on my priority list right now. Ice cream is good. So are cold meals.



Spiralised courgette (zucchini) noodles are one of my favourite ways to make hot weather salads interesting. It takes slightly more time to spiralise vegetables than it does to wash lettuce or other greens, but the results are very much worth it.

Courgette / zucchini noodles also lend themselves well to creamy dressings, which is nice if you want a satisfying meal without heavy or hot ingredients. This dressing uses both hemp seeds (thanks to my recent purchase!) and cashew butter, but you could use pumpkin seeds or even chia seeds instead, and any nut butter you fancy.


Zucchini noodles with a creamy turmeric dressing
Easy summertime eating
Serves one as a hearty meal, or two as a smaller main or side
Vegan

Blender or food processor required; spiraliser or mandarin required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
2 tbsp hemp seeds (or seeds of choice)
2 tbsp non-dairy milk of choice
1 tbsp cashew butter (or nut butter of choice)
2 tsp turmeric
Pinch of salt
Few cracks of black pepper
1 medium courgette / zucchini, spiralised
Handful of spinach leaves
1/4 cup corn kernels
1/4 cup green peas
Small handful of cashews or other nuts

Method
To make the dressing, combine the hemp seeds, milk, cashew butter, turmeric, salt and pepper in a small blender and process to combine. Set aside while you make the salad.

Spiralise (or use a mandarin to slice) your courgette and place in a medium-large bowl. Add the spinach leaves, corn and peas. Pour over the dressing and toss through. Sprinkle with nuts before serving.


I am sending this to the June round-up of Eat Your Greens, hosted by Shaheen


Other zucchini noodle salads on Bite-Sized Thoughts:

What do you like to eat in hot weather?

11 comments:

  1. Ive been making courgette noodles for a while, and don't think i have blogged about - even have a picture of a plate in my blog photo file. I love the combination of your dish and the colours are fantastic. I will soon be harvesting courgettes at home and may give this a go for our lunch box. PS Please do consider sharing this with #EatYourGreens.
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/welcoming-june-eatyourgreens-recipes.html

    By the way is your blog header new, or am i just imagining that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me of the Eat Your Greens round-up - I always mean to contribute and forget so am about to link this in!

      My blog header is sadly very old, I keep meaning to update it but not getting around to it :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for joining in with #EatYourGreens

      As for the blog header, yeah I think i was imagining it because your beet dish is similar in styling as this dish, but it looks good still even though its old. I have a habit now of renewing my blog look every year.

      Delete
  2. This salad looks really tasty - perfect for the hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this makes me feel I should really get into zucchini noodles - though I need to wait til I have some hot weather to complain about! though all the terrible things happening in the UK can make me hot around the collar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the hot weather and fire are just the tip of the (poor weather metaphor) iceburg really! So much to be hot and bothered about.

      Delete
  4. I like your dressing idea, I have some fresh turmeric in at the moment... hmmm. Could spare some for this. i bought it to try heated in almond milk. Not used a spiraliser, we are at the one piece of kitchen equipment in, one piece out stage in our house. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your equipment philosophy! And fresh turmeric sounds amazing.

      Delete
  5. I love the sound of courgette noodles and a creamy dressing, just what warm weather is made for!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).