Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Apple and peanut butter quinoa porridge

With the changing autumn leaves and cooler air, I am drinking lots of hot drinks at the moment. Current favourites include ginger tea, black decaf coffee (after the all essential morning caffeinated coffee!) and a DIY chai latte using a chai tea bag, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla.

Local autumn scenes, just because

I'm also having lots of hot bowls. I'm still loving oat-based porridges, but after bulk cooking some quinoa recently, quinoa porridge varieties have featured too. This apple and peanut butter version was a winning mix.

As per my recent peanut butter posts, I used peanut butter powder in this as well as actual nut butter. I'm a wee bit obsessed with the powder and its capacity to up the peanut buttery-ness of a dish. However, it isn't essential and you can use more actual peanut butter if you don't have access to the powdered type. I'm sure this would be delicious with almond butter or other nut butters as well.

In case you're wondering how I'm eating hot bowls with a 10-week-old baby, the answer (and my current favourite possession) is a baby carrier. Mini Bite does not nap at all well in her cot, but she goes off beautifully in the carrier and after a walk outside she will often stay sleeping in it for an hour or more in the house. This gives me time to deal with the never-ending washing, cook up quinoa (and other things) in bulk and eat bowls like this one, carefully balanced above her head...


Apple and peanut butter quinoa porridge
A delicious and protein-boosting twist on oat porridges
Serves one
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients

1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 apple, chopped
1 tbsp peanut butter powder + 1 tsp peanut butter, OR, 1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp cinnamon

Method
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until simmering. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring regularly, for 3 or so minutes. The mixture will thicken on cooking and the liquid should be absorbed at the time of serving.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

How do you enjoy quinoa?

9 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are eating well and finding the time for hot bowls - I think it is easier to do stuff when babies are really little and sleep a lot and don't move when you put them down than when they are older and can follow you around and ask questions :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only Mini Bite would go down away from me...but even so, I do appreciate the times she is fast asleep on my front :-)

      Delete
  2. Love your baby updates. I am enjoying the baby wraps too which gives me some spare hands. The slow cooker has come to my rescue because I don't want to cook on the stove with him in front of me. Oatmeal would be OK but my solution is my husband makes it for me instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is a very good solution :-) Fortunately we have an electric hob so I don't need to worry about anything catching fire. I'm glad you're getting some hands free time too!

      Delete
  3. Baby wearing is an absolute lifesaver. Also applies to toddler wearing too :-)

    I love the apple and peanut butter combination. Sounds like just the thing to keep you full and help with energy levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's still a little warm for me to enjoy warm drinks yet. I have started incorporating warm bowls though as the mornings are getting a little chilly.
    Ah Mini Bite sounds so cute! Balancing breakfast above her head is a funny image ;)
    This sounds like a good bowl. It is especially useful when I'm not quite sure what to do with leftover quinoa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need leftover quinoa ideas too so this suited me for that reason!

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of quinoa porridge! It sounds so good! I don't think I like regular porridge so I'm totally going to try this, especially since it has one of my favorites - peanut butter!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).