Friday, October 7, 2016

Apple cashew weetabix bites

Warm weetabix (or weetbix as they are known in Australia), made soggy with milk and mixed with grated apple, was one of my favourite childhood winter breakfasts. As an adult, I find myself drawn back to that mix at this time of year, now made with almond milk and chopped rather than grated apple. These days I often add sultanas or nut butter to the mix too.


Warm soggy weetabix might not be your thing, but these snack balls take the best of my breakfast bowl flavours and turn them into a delicious alternative to standard fruit and nut energy balls. I suspect you do need to like weetabix to enjoy them but I found apple and vanilla to be the dominant flavours. I made them for snacking, but if you were short on time, they could even step in as breakfast on the go.

Whilst I made these with cashews, any nuts would work. Similarly, I used sultanas but raisins or dates would be other dried fruit options.


Apple cashew weetabix bites
A breakfast-inspired alternative to raw fruit and nut balls
Makes approximately 24 balls
Vegan

Food processor required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
4 weetabix
1 large apple, quartered
1 cup sultanas
1/2 cup cashews
1 tsp vanilla

Method
Combine all ingredients in your food processor and process until fully combined and the mix is clumping together.

Roll teaspoon-sized scoops into balls and allow to chill in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes before serving. Store in the refrigerator.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Do you have any favourite breakfast-inspired snacks?

12 comments:

  1. As warm milk over weetbix with brown sugar was one of my favourite winter brekkie's I could imagine I might like this - sounds like a fun idea and a good way to eat up sylvia's weetbix that linger - was unsure until I saw the recipe if you cooked them or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not cooked, but now you mention it, that could well work! It's always nice to know others like warm weetabix too :-)

      Delete
  2. I haven't had weetabix in a long while, it was my fave when i was a child and unlike Johanna, i preferred it with cold milk then. These do sound quite appealing and may make a nice change from the flapjacks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is room for them and flapjacks I reckon ;)

      Delete
  3. Hmmm weetabix is something different here - they are crunchy breakfast like bars made of wheat. These actually sound much more appetizing ;)
    And snack balls are always up my alley! These sound great.
    Thanks so much for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays - I'm pinning & sharing.
    Hope you're having a great day Kari!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're the same here :-) I just took the bars and whizzed them up!

      Delete
  4. These sound delish. I love the smell of soggy weetbix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love soggy weetbix. This post makes me all nostalgic... I haven't bought any in ages (mainly because I don't get to choose the cereals anymore) but I might just put my foot down. Yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have too many cereals in my view, so add weetabix to your mix!

      Delete
  6. I've never used weetabix before. Actually I've never tried it. This is such a cool idea to use it as a base for balls. I love trying new energy balls so I'm totally trying these soon!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).