Saturday, October 15, 2016

Pear and ginger crumble

Autumn is the perfect time for warm desserts, and I think fruit crumbles are one of the best warm desserts available. This pear and ginger variety makes a nice change from standard apple and/or berry crumbles. Jamie Oliver provided the inspiration but I made a few tweaks and so am sharing my version as well as linking to his.



My changes (other than substituting vegan non-dairy spread for butter) include using coconut sugar instead of white sugar for the pear mix, brown sugar instead of white sugar for the crumble topping, and coconut flour as well as plain flour for the crumble topping. I didn't bother with the lime that Jamie included, although am sure that would be a nice touch if you have lime to hand.

I loved this crumble so much that it may well be my favourite crumble ever. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I am now obsessed with all things ginger and pear! It's delicious warm or cold (although I recommend warm) and plain or with (soy) ice cream or yoghurt.

The only tweak I would make next time is to up the pear filling to give a higher ratio of fruit to crumble topping. In fact, I think I'd probably double the filling ingredients as I think the fruit part of crumbles is the best bit. If you favour the crumble part, you may like the the original quantities - I list both options below.


Pear and ginger crumble
A delicious twist on classic fruit crumbles
Vegan
Serves 6



Ingredients
For the pear filling (note: I would double these quantities next time and I recommend doing so if you like fruit-heavy crumbles)
60g coconut sugar
100ml water
4 large pears, cored and cut into chunks
2-1/2 tbsp chopped stem ginger in syrup

For the crumble topping
140g plain flour
100g coconut flour
90g brown sugar
1 tsp powdered ginger
Pinch salt
90g dairy-free spread

Method
Preheat your oven to 200'C (400'F).

To make the pear filling, combine the water and coconut sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to boiling point. Add the pear pieces and reduce heat to allow the mixture to simmer for several minutes. Add the chopped stem ginger and stir through. 

Transfer the pear mix to an oven-proof crumble or pie dish and set aside.

To make the crumble topping, combine the flours, brown sugar, salt and powdered ginger in a mixing bowl. Add the dairy-free spread and rub through with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Cover the pear mix with the crumble topping, heaping more of the mix in the centre of the crumble.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.

Note. The crumble can be made in advance and set aside for several hours before cooking.



What desserts are you enjoying at the moment?

14 comments:

  1. Funny how your and Jamie's best ever crumbles differ - just shows how subjective the "best ever" label is. And less funny is that I think I have got through winter without one fruit crumble - the shame! This looks lovely - perhaps I will have to do some puddings when stone fruit come into season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 'best ever' is definitely a subjective and changeable term! You clearly need to rectify your crumble loss though and I am sure Melbourne spring will provide some cool days that beg for a crumble to be made.

      Delete
  2. This sounds amazing! Pear and ginger is a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pear and ginger combination. Crumble is pretty much my favourite dessert. I love the changes you've made... I think I prefer your version to Jamie's!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crumble is my favourite dessert. Pear and ginger is so perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise it was so good before I made this!

      Delete
  5. Sounds awesome! I haven't tried the pear ginger combo yet - I can't wait to though =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am yearning for some pears, but the ones I keep seeing are so hard. And crumble appeals, i do like ginger, but would perhaps make it with blackberries . I like that you used coconut sugar and coconut flour - i have both and need to make more use of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blackberry and ginger would be an interesting twist! If you try that out please post it :-)

      Delete
  7. Fruit crumble would be great dessert in front of the autumn season. There are man types of recipes for making the autumn desserts at home.The interested people may check out website for learning more details on how to make the advanced recipe procedures for making the good recipes at home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a fan of hot desserts, I just something sweet in general. But I love everything of good quality. And I always look for quality research paper online, if I need something like that. Quality rules!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).