Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Pear and ginger quinoa porridge

I know, another quinoa porridge recipe in quick succession! However, I wanted to share this now because it also follows on from my recent pear and ginger crumble recipe. It seems a lot of you enjoy pear and ginger flavours and this offers a way to get them in at breakfast time. Mind you, I won't judge if you choose to have crumble for breakfast too...but if nothing else, this can step in on the days you want a healthy but delicious option.


Like my apple and peanut butter quinoa porridge, this uses pre-cooked quinoa. Thus, it is handy if you have leftover quinoa to use up or if you have a batch made for using across the week. The porridge then comes together very quickly although you could obviously cook the quinoa at the time of making it if you need to.


The flavours here are simple although I did use a small amount of stem ginger in syrup, which I had left from my crumble making. I recommend it for upping the gingery-ness and for providing some sweetness to the porridge, but if you don't have any, crystallised ginger or even more powdered ginger could be used instead.


Pear and ginger quinoa porridge
Dessert flavours at breakfast time!
Serves one
Vegan and low in fat

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp dried powdered ginger
1 tsp chopped stem ginger in syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp sultanas or raisins
1 pear, chopped

Method
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until simmering. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring regularly, for 3 or so minutes. The mixture will thicken on cooking and the liquid should be absorbed at the time of serving.

For those of you who like the pear and ginger flavour mix - what is your favourite way to enjoy it?

5 comments:

  1. mmm somehow pear and ginger does not appeal but pear and stem ginger sounds just lovely (don't ask me why - perhaps I am a sucker for syrups) - sounds like a great idea for a healthy breakfast though I am a little off porridges at the moment but keep hoping I will return to porridge world one of these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Syrups do make a difference :-) You could try this as overnight oats too I imagine.

      Delete
  2. Love the flavours - they could easily be transferred to another vehicle, like oats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh this sounds great! Pears are really underappreciated. I don't have them enough. And I love ginger - it would make such a nice combo with the pear. I tend to make the same old boring quinoa porridge, it'll be nice to switch it up.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).