Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Vegan pineapple-coconut French toast with caramelized banana

There will come a time when I hit saturation point with vegan French toast recipes. After all, there are only so many variations one can share for a dish based around bread. At the moment, though, I'd like to think that day is some way off. Vegan French toast has become my standard Saturday morning breakfast and I love it just as much now as when I first discovered it. It might not be as nutritious as porridge or oat-based breakfasts, but it is a delicious way to start the weekend. Saturday is my long run day and French toast also follows running perfectly!


This French toast is different to my previous versions in that it doesn't use milk (non-dairy or otherwise) and packs a serious tropical punch. Instead of milk, the liquid comes from pineapple juice, and there is also coconut, pineapple  pieces and of course the caramelized banana. I have Johanna of Green Gourmet Giraffe to thank for the inspiration, as she is a fan of desiccated coconut in French toast and has previously shared a banana French toast (although her banana was mashed into the batter).

I used tinned pineapple for this, but you could use fresh if you have it. However, tinned works well in that you can get the juice and fruit from one source. It also means you can make this wherever you are and whatever the weather - no fresh tropical fruit required.


Pineapple-coconut French toast with caramelized banana
A delicious breakfast
Vegan
Serves 1

Author: Bite-sized thoughts, with inspiration from Johanna of Green Gourmet Giraffe


Ingredients
1/3 cup pineapple juice
1 tbsp desiccated coconut
1 tbsp corn flour
2 pieces bread
1 banana, sliced
1/3 cup pineapple pieces

Maple syrup or other syrup of choice, to serve

Spray oil, if needed, for cooking

Method
Combine the pineapple juice, coconut and corn flour in a large wide bowl. Whisk together.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil if necessary.

Dip one piece of bread in the pineapple-coconut mixture until coated, then transfer to the hot pan. Repeat for the second slice. Cook for approximately 2 minutes and then flip. Continue cooking until both sides of the bread are golden brown.

Reduce heat to medium and toss the banana and pineapple pieces in any remaining pineapple juice mixture. Add to the pan and cook until fragrant and the banana starts to brown. 

Serve with maple syrup or syrup of choice.


What do you enjoy for weekend breakfasts?

9 comments:

  1. ooh I love how you fry the banana and pineapple in with the french toast - that is my sort of chuck everything in way to cook breakfast. It is like a sweet fry up :-) And sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love French toast, but I haven't had a flavour combination like this before. I bet it tastes like the Caribbean with the coconut and pineapple combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sums it up exactly - completely Caribbean :-)

      Delete
  3. Yum! I would love this. I saw Jamie's French toast on Superfoods last night - fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good! Saturday is my long run day too and sounds like the perfect post-run meal =)
    I've never had french toast like this - it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the tropical twist you've added to French Toast here!!! :-)
    We had french toast all last weekend actually as we were trying to use up some bread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought it would taste this great! With a maple syrup on it.

    Veritable Flooring Hardwood

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).