Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Satay sweet potato noodles

Do you read Gena's beautiful blog Choosing Raw? If you do, you may have spotted her curried peanut sweet potato noodles last month. Gena's noodles were beautifully photographed and looked delicious. My version is not as well photographed but I promise was still delicious!


I was actually unsure about these noodles on the first night I had them. However, the leftovers I took to work the next day were great. I think the overnight sitting time allowed the noodles to soak up more flavours and soften a little. You could achieve the same result by making more sauce (which Gena actually did) and allowing the noodles to stand a bit before serving. I have updated my recipe to incorporate these changes.


I think we've all heard about spiralized courgette / zucchini, but spiralized sweet potato is a new concept for me. It gives a different result to the courgette equivalent, as you will have cooked noodles instead of raw ones and a noodle that is heartier than courgette can provide. If you want a fun basis for a summer salad, courgette noodles (or my adored beetroot noodles) are a great choice. However, if you want something that has the satisfaction and comfort of traditional noodles, but with a greater vegetable dose, sweet potato noodles are a brilliant option.

I adapted Gena's recipe lightly, mostly guided by what I had to hand in the kitchen and my own stir fry preferences. I did make less sauce but would change that next time (and the recipe below shows increased sauce quantities). I added bean sprouts, which I'd recommend, and a bit of tofu, which is optional.

Satay sweet potato noodles
A fun twist on traditional noodles
Serves 2 to 3
Vegan

Spiralizer needed



Ingredients
2 medium sweet potato, peeled and spiralized
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, or 1/2 tbsp each chilli sauce + sweetener of choice
1 red onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 red pepper, sliced
1-1/2 cups bean sprouts
1-1/2 cups broccoli florets

Optional: 1/4 cup tofu pieces

Method
Set the spiralized sweet potatoes aside and whisk together the peanut butter, water, soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce in a small bowl or jug.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil if needed. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and stir fry until fragrant and starting to soften, a few minutes. 

Add about 1/2 of the satay sauce mix to your pan along with the sweet potato noodles and the red pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the bean sprouts and broccoli florets and allow to cook for a further 5 or so minutes.

Turn the heat off and allow the dish to stand for at least 15 minutes. Add tofu at the end and reheat before serving.


Have you spiralized sweet potato?!

13 comments:

  1. I was a bit concerned this would be a raw recipe - but am quite interested in cooked spiralised sweet potato. I guess the challenge is to cook the potato enough but not so much that it falls apart. I also noticed you said to add tofu at the end but was surprised you did not add it earlier to absorb the sauce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it is rather different to how I'd usually use tofu. I suppose I thought of it as a garnish more than a core part of the meal in this dish; thus the optional status too.

      Delete
  2. I am obsessed with my spiraliser at the moment - there is just so much that you can do with it. I love sweet potato noodles too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at satay sauce :) I think it's time I invested in a spiraliser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots online if you want to make the investment :-)

      Delete
  4. I've seen a few recipes for sweet potato noodles now but haven't tried it myself! I just stocked up on sweet potatoes so I think I will have to give this a go over the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think sweet potato and satay are a winning combination. This dinner looks really good, Kari, with lots of yummy Asian flavours. I've been cooking similar dishes at home as everyone in the family is becoming so fussy with wanting to cut back on dairy, go GF, not have carbs at night etc so I'm cooking a lot of Thai stir-fries that look a lot like this xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have your work cut out for you with those requirements! Stir fry is a great solution.

      Delete
  6. I love Gena's blogs and these curried peanut sweet potato noodles caught my eye. I've never had spiralised sweet potato but what a great idea. These noodles would be far more nutrient packed than the regular kind. Plus they're really colourful!
    It's great to hear how well it turned out for you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! I hope you like sweet potato noodles yourself if you try them :-)

      Delete
  7. This sounds good - love sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).