Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Coconut flour raspberry and apple crumble

It is crumble season. Also pie season and pudding season, but today we're talking crumble. A simple, fruity, comforting crumble with the sweet tartness of raspberries and the tart sweetness of apples.


My crumbles are more fruit than topping, but the topping here is excellent too (even if I scorched mine a little bit). I used coconut sugar and coconut flour, which gave a slightly different texture and taste to standard sugar/flour combinations. I think coconut flour is particularly suited to crumble toppings because it is inherently quite crumbly. It also has a texture that is somehow light and fluffy but also rich and comforting. I liked it in this dish.

I used non-dairy spread (Pure / Nuttelex / Earth Balance) in the crumble topping too. If you wanted to have a full-fledged coconut topping you could try using coconut oil instead. I am not sure it would give an authentic crumble result but it might be fun experimenting.

In the meantime, here is my version of this easy autumnal dessert...


Coconut flour raspberry and apple crumble
A warming dessert for 4
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
2 large apples, diced (no need to peel)
2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp + 1 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tbsp coconut flour
1 tbsp non-dairy spread / margarine

Yoghurt, ice cream or custard, optional, to serve

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C (350'F)

Place the apple pieces and raspberries in the bottom of an oven-proof pie or crumble dish. Drizzle over the vanilla and scatter over 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar. Toss / stir briefly to mix through.

In a small bowl, combine the remaining tablespoon of coconut sugar along with the coconut flour and non-dairy spread. Rub the spread into the sugar/flour with your fingers. 

Sprinkle the topping over the fruit and bake for approximately 20 minutes, until golden brown.

Serve with yoghurt, ice cream or custard as desired.



Do you have a favourite crumble variety?

16 comments:

  1. I like the inclusion of coconut flour, I have a packet I bought ages ago and need to do more with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have those times as well - I'm either using it a lot or not at all and if the latter those packs do last for ages!!

      Delete
  2. I love the texture of coconut flour, but I find it really difficult to bake with, as it makes things so dry. I find that I have to experiment a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely different to other flours. I find it needs more moisture and more fat / fat equivalent than other things :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh this is so delicious looking!
    I haven't made a crumble for so long! I usually make mine similar to yours with loads of fruit and just a small healthy crumble. Thanks so much for the reminder xx
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, I'm glad you like the look of it!

      Delete
  4. great observation about coconut flour - I must add some to my crumbles - not that I have made any for ages and had a dessert fail last night so maybe it isn't my moment for desserts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! You'll have to make another dessert to counter it :D

      Delete
  5. This sounds lovely - coconut and raspbery are winning flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh this sounds great. I haven't yet tried combining apples & raspberries, though it sounds like a great combination (two of my favourite fruits!). I like that it's gluten-free, too!
    My favourite crumble (and the only one I've ever made haha) is strawberry rhubarb - but rhubarb is only available for such a short window. I'll have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strawberry rhubarb is definitely a classic! Hopefully this can stand in for some of the months when rhubarb isn't available :-)

      Delete
  7. I'm quite sure it must be crumble season in the UK - the temperature must really be dropping. I do love crumble and especially like it with ice cream and it really is a terrific dessert on cold nights. I love how you've made this with apples and raspberries - great combination and the coconut sugar in the topping would give a lovely flavour to the dessert xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie and yes, the nights are cold and warm desserts very appealing at the moment! It is funny thinking of you heading in the opposite direction in Australia.

      Delete
  8. Perfect synchronicity - a friend of mine gave me a bag of coconut flour and I've been keeping it in my cupboard for ages because I really didn't know what to do with it. And now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good :-) Coconut flour is definitely very crumbly!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).