Friday, October 9, 2015

Vegan Life Magazine, issue 9 (October 2015)

I receive complimentary digital copies of Vegan Life, which allows me to post reviews with screenshots included. My reflections on the magazine are entirely my own.


The latest edition of Vegan Life magazine is out! It features a particularly stunning array of recipes. After my last post on spiralized sweet potato noodles, I was interested to see sweet potato waffles made from spiralized sweet potato. I don't have a waffle pan, but if I did, these would be happening...


In the same section on spiralized treats, there was an equally novel recipe for fruit noodle trifle. This features spiralised apple and persimmon. I think it looks delicious.

Also delicious, if less natural!, was a recipe for chocolate ganache stuffed s'mores donuts. They don't even require a donut pan or maker. They sound pretty incredible and take vegan decadence to a whole new level.



If you live in the US, you can now pick up some local vegan decadence in drive through format. The founders of Amy's Kitchen, a brand many of us will have seen for their vegan and gluten free products, now have drive through restaurants serving classic fast food fare - but with the vegan and GF twists the brand is known for.

I'd already heard about the veggie consultation UK chain Pret a Manger had earlier this year, but it was also nice to read more about their growing emphasis on vegetarian and vegan products. Pret is one of the biggest sandwich chains in the UK and they have stores all around the country, so it is a real win to know you're guaranteed a veggie product if you stop by. The US may get vegan drive through, but at least we can get vegan sandwiches!


On a more serious note, I was pleased and interested to read the call for animal welfare classes in schools (I think anything welfare classes would be a good idea, given how violent our societies can be) and the use of 3D printing technology to flood the market with 'fake' (printed) rhino horns. The idea is that these cheap horns would attract those in the trade and reduce the demand for real rhino products. Apparently they are able to print authentic horns using rhino DNA and keratin, which I find pretty amazing.

What have you enjoyed reading recently?

8 comments:

  1. oh those doughnuts look amazing and fruit noodles sound interesting - imagine the possibilities (esp on april fool's day). I was concerned that no one says drive through any more (after sylvia asking me why they spell it thru) so was pleased to see you spell it that way. And I agree classes on welfare are good but it is so sad that they get more and more important because there are so many worrying messages out there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased by your comment about through/thru because in the magazine it was spelt 'thru' and I made a conscious decision to use my own spelling! It is rare to see it written in full in that context these days.

      Delete
  2. We have Pret here in the US too and they have some of the best "fast food" veg options!!

    I cannot get over those donuts. Drooling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you had Pret! I just ate one of their vegan baguettes for lunch and it was delicious :-)

      Delete
  3. The waffles and donuts grabbed my attention - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colour of the cover of the magazine. Those doughnuts look fabulous. I do hope that new 3D rhino horn takes off - God know there just aren't enough rhinos left in the world xx

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).