Sunday, October 18, 2015

Giant couscous with greens, sun dried tomatoes, chickpeas and tahini

I'm on a real tahini streak at the moment. My jars of peanut butter and almond butter have been untouched for weeks, but tahini is featuring pretty much daily. I've come to expect this from myself and am sure I'll move on to a different ingredient love soon. For now - tahini it is. As a result, you get to share in a few tahini recipes and today's bowl meal is a savoury counterpart to my tahini chocolate oat balls of last week!

 


In contrast to my frequent tahini intake, I've had couscous rarely over recent months. However, I think giant couscous makes a great base for this bowl. It becomes a bit like risotto and a bit like pasta but not quite either. You could use quinoa or regular couscous instead (or rice or pasta) but the effect would be slightly different. For maximum comfort, giant couscous is worth seeking out.

One ingredient I didn't add to this, but which I would throw in next time, is nutritional yeast. The tahini already lends this a slight creaminess and I think nutritional yeast would enhance it further. Even without, though, this is a bowl of beautiful flavours. It's perfect for our autumn weather, but I'd like to think it could translate to southern spring as well.


Giant couscous with greens, sun dried tomatoes, chickpeas and tahini
An easy bowl-based meal that is full of comfort, flavour and nutrition
Serves 2
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup (uncooked) giant couscous
1-1/2 cups sliced green beans (fresh or frozen)
1 cup spinach leaves
2 large sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp tahini
1/2 - 1 cup cooked chickpeas
Black pepper, optional, for serving
Nutritional yeast, optional, for serving

Method
Place the giant couscous in a medium-large saucepan and cover with water. Cover and bring to the boil. 

Reduce heat to simmering point and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes, drain the couscous and return to the saucepan along with all other ingredients. Allow to cook over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or longer if using frozen beans.

When all ingredients are hot, add cracked black pepper and nutritional yeast if using, and then serve.

What ingredient/s are you loving at the moment?

12 comments:

  1. tahini really is fantastic-- love it with chocolate! When I first tried a miso-tahini combination I thought it was awful to have those two flavours together. But now I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had that mix! Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a lovely quick meal - I need more quick meals like yours in my life right now - and I must buy some giant couscous because it is a nice change from the usual grains

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quick meals and I are very good friends :D

      Delete
  3. Yep, tahini is pretty high on my love list too right now - so tasty, so good for you, you can't go wrong. I'll definitely have to try it with giant cous cous now - I love the squeaky texture the cous cous has!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why not Kari. Tahini would be great with giant couscous and spinach and beans yes yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tahini does give great flavour to dishes. I do love pearl couscous - it's really pretty xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks fabulous! i need to use tahini more often...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spend some time with me and you will no longer have that need ;)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).