Monday, October 12, 2015

Tahini chocolate oat balls (vegan, one bowl, no food processor required)

These energy balls are not hugely different to recipes I've shared before (their closest counterparts being peanut butter cacao energy balls, cinnamon peanut butter oat bites and chocolate fudge bites) but they managed to be just different enough. It's amazing how you can combine such a small number of ingredients and get such delicious, fully-flavoured results. These showcase natural foods to decadent perfection and they make extremely satisfying snacks!


The ingredient list is pretty much summed up in the post title, with the exception of liquid sweetener, which I used in the form of Sweet Freedom low GI sweetener. I have mentioned the Sweet Freedom Choc Shot sauce before and was pleased to recently spot this syrup in their range. It's made entirely from fruit extracts and carob and I think it tastes like a cross between maple syrup, rice malt syrup and molasses.



The benefit of this over other liquid sweeteners is that it has less sugar, less energy and is low GI - nice if you want to sweeten something without giving yourself a sugar hit. (Sometimes I want to sweeten something and give myself a sugar hit, but the option of one without the other is handy.) Of course, if you don't have access to this syrup then maple syrup, agave syrup or rice malt syrup would be alternatives.

Once you have your ingredients, you mix them up, roll into balls, and allow to chill for a few hours. If you are desperate impatient motivated to eat your creation, you can even skip the refrigeration. The mixture will be a bit soft but still holds together fine.


My only warning with this recipe? Try not to drop your cocoa container whilst making the balls. I did that, and the result wasn't pretty...


Tahini chocolate oat balls
Delicious, easy, and satisfying
Vegan, no bake and easily gluten free (use GF oats)
Makes 16 balls

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp tahini
1/4 cup liquid sweetener of choice - I used low GI Sweet Freedom syrup but agave, maple or rice malt syrups are alternatives
2 tbsp cocoa powder

Method
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, stirring thoroughly until fully combined.

With clean hands, roll heaped teaspoons of mixture into small balls. Refrigerate for a few hours and then serve.

Store in the refrigerator.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

What are you snacking on this week?

18 comments:

  1. I really like the look of the balls and the plate they came on too! I really like tahini and chocolate together. Anything that doesn't involve cleaning out the food processor is definitely earning plus points with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they sound great - I have been thinking of making energy balls lately but was wondering about making some nut free ones for sylvia to take to school - shame after making a dish so light on washing up that you ended up with the cocoa mess - hope your toast isn't tasting of chocolate now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the first time Mr Bite used it after the spill (I was out) the kitchen smelt of burnt cocoa! :P

      Delete
  3. I have done that with cocoa before too and it gets EVERYWHERE! I was finding it for days after.
    Love the sound of these, and a good way to use Tahini too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how a relatively small amount of cocoa can cause so much mess!! Glad it's not just me who has done it!

      Delete
  4. What a bummer with the cocoa! I've done that a couple of times myself, lol. Can't wait to try your recipe. I love that it's only a few simple healthy ingredients. I make a raw vegan no-bake cookie that's similar to this. They contain dates, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and cocoa (and whatever else I feel like at the time). I love simple, easy, healthy snacks like this - no guilt. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cookies sound delicious too! I love the idea of throwing pumpkin seeds in - I rarely use them.

      Delete
  5. Oh - the mess! I've done that and it's so difficult to clean up; you often have to wipe the bench three or four times. Yes, it does amaze me how so few ingredients can come together to create something so tasty. I do love how with this recipe, it's not only one-bowl but you also don't even need a food processor xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a few of us have thrown cocoa powder around! It's definitely not to be recommended if you want a clean kitchen - I am still finding it in unexpected places!

      Delete
  6. I'm always looking for new twists on energy balls so keep the recipes coming!
    I really like the Sweet Freedom syrups too. They're my 'go to' syrups for raw chocolate making. Consistency & flavourwise, I find they work much better than maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a bit stickier aren't they - more like rice syrup but without the sugar!

      Delete
  7. Hi Kari, these ball sound lovely! I love tahini and chocolate together. I'm super interested in that sweetener now though. I've never seen it around here {maybe it's a UK only item}, but it sounds lovely! I love anything with fruit and carob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Audrey :-) It may be just a UK brand but hopefully it will make it to you in time if it is taking off here!

      Delete
  8. These sound delicious (and look great on that plate!). I like the sound of the sweetener... must keep my eyes peeled for something similar :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha that pic of chocolate powder everywhere made me laugh! that always happens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, the cocoa! Hahaha. I love that these balls don't require the food processor - I love using my high speed blender to make balls like these but it's not an option when I want a late night snack and the baby is asleep! I have a feeling I will be making these very soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. "My only warning with this recipe? Try not to drop your cocoa container whilst making the balls. I did that, and the result wasn't pretty..."
    Oh dear... that made a mess. I've been there and have done that ;p They should put a warning on the container!
    My little treat balls usually involve dates, which requires a food processor - I like the mixing bowl idea. These sound great!
    Thanks so much for sharing these at Healthy Vegan Fridays - I'm pinning these! Have a great rest of the week =)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).