Sunday, August 23, 2015

Lucuma and blackberry vegan French toast

Thank you for your moving well wishes. I am pleased to say we are successfully moved, although we still have some way to go before I can say we are successfully unpacked (!). It is a big relief to be at the unpacking stage though.

Disarray!

One of the nice features of our new house is outdoor space. I have hung washing outside for the first time in over a year and my bike can live in a shed instead of chained to outdoor railings. We don't yet have garden furniture, but I'm looking forward to eating outside in time too.



I may not have eaten breakfast outside this morning, but I did relish the novelty of taking photos in the garden. It will take me a while to figure out my new lighting options, but I'm rather looking forward to that.





I've shared vegan French toast recipes before, but this one uses lucuma powder for the batter instead of custard powder or chia seeds. If you aren't already familiar with lucuma, I really recommend it. I find a bag lasts for ages and adding a tablespoon makes a difference to recipes. The flavour is nicely caramelly which worked particularly well for this toast. 

This is a perfect weekend breakfast - it feels decadent without requiring too much time and, other than the lucuma, the ingredients are kitchen staples. It helped fuel a morning of unpacking too!


Lucuma and blackberry French toast
A delicious breakfast for one
Vegan, low fat and easily gluten free (use gluten free bread)

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
2 tbsp lucuma powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
2 thick slices grainy bread (or bread of choice)
1 cup blackberries (or berries of choice)

Spray oil, for cooking
Drizzle agave, rice malt syrup or maple syrup, for serving

Method
Whisk together the lucuma powder, vanilla and almond milk in a large mixing bowl.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with cooking oil. 

Dip one slice of bread in the lucuma mixture to coat both sides and then add to your pan. Repeat for the other slice of bread if your pan size permits. Cook for several minutes on each side, until golden and crispy.

While the bread is cooking, add the blackberries to the remaining lucuma mixture (there should be a tablespoon or two of mixture remaining). When the bread is nearly cooked, add the berries to the pan to warm slightly.

Serve the bread with the berries on top, and a finishing drizzle of syrup to taste.

 What have you been eating this weekend?

15 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad to hear that you're at the unpacking stage now! I'm not sure if you know, but we also purchased a new home (just down the street) but haven't moved in yet. Our current house is still on the market so we're praying that it will sell soon! We, too, can't wait to move in to our new place and make it all homey ;). Yes..I, too, will need to figure out which window will be my designated food photography window ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Min, that's lovely news! I too hope your current house sells soon for you :-)

      Delete
  2. Moving house is not much fun, but your new yard looks lovely! I love the addition of lucuma powder to this French toast, I love that divine caramellish flavour, I'm pinning this recipe to my vegan breakfasts board <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyra :-) And whilst moving isn't fun, at least post-moving gives an enormous sense of relief!

      Delete
  3. unpacking stage is awesome! I love lucuma though I don't use it as often as I should. I often put it in smoothies but I don't get more creative than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I rarely put it in smoothies :P We need to swap methods!

      Delete
  4. These vegan french toast look incredibly delish! Glad to hear you are moving to a new house! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on getting so far in your move - an outside space sounds lovely after apartment living and it looks like it has lots of potential for al fresco dining esp if you get another warm summer like the one just ending. This idea of french toast sounds interesting and looks enticing - I still haven't embraced lucuma but maybe one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know how you find it if you do buy a bag. I suspect you'd like it but am probably not sure enough of your tastes to be certain :-)

      The warm summer has turned to torrential rain! No English drizzle this week - it is Perth worthy downpours but persistently.

      Delete
  6. I am glad you are settling in. How amazing is it to be able to hang your washing outside!
    French Toast is my favourite indulgent Sunday breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a perfect weekend breakfast, isn't it!

      Delete
  7. Nice! We moved earlier this summer and unpacked the necessities and then started throwing parties every weekend. Unpacking can wait. The summer cannot! Looks like a great new place - enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the move. The new place looks good. The French toast looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).