Thursday, August 6, 2015

Sweet potato breakfast pudding {vegan + gluten free}

Regular readers will know that I love to use sweet potato in non-savoury dishes. My caramel sweet potato fudge and chocolate sweet potato ice cream are two prime examples. This sweet potato pudding is made in the same theme, although it's a much simpler affair.

This is so simple, in fact, that I hesitate to call it a recipe. Basically, it is mashed sweet potato with vanilla and desiccated coconut, topped with cacao nibs and blueberries. If you have children, I suspect they could make it. I suspect they would enjoy it too, but you may not want to share it with them.


This tastes clearly of sweet potato, but the natural sweetness of the vegetable is enhanced beautifully by vanilla and coconut. The tart sweetness of blueberries provides a flavour contrast and the rich crunch of cacao nibs provides a texture contrast. It all comes together to taste delicious whilst also being jam-packed full of nutrition. Getting a serve of vegetables in at breakfast is always a bonus!

In addition to tasting good and being good for you, this takes about 10 minutes to pull together (2 minutes if using pre-cooked sweet potato). Who says there is no time for breakfast?


Sweet potato breakfast pudding
A delicious and easy breakfast that could also be a snack or dessert
Serves 1
Vegan and gluten free

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 small-medium sweet potato or half a large
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
1 tbsp cocoa nibs
Handful of blueberries

Method
Cook the sweet potato until tender, in the microwave, on the stove top or in the oven. Allow to cool slightly.

Peel and mash the sweet potato in a medium bowl. Add the vanilla and coconut and mash to incorporate. Top with cocoa nibs and blueberries and serve.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

What is your favourite way to enjoy sweet potato?

20 comments:

  1. This is so bright and colourful, and such a great way to use sweet potato. I like vaked sweet potato sprinkled with cinnamon and salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, you've reminded me of how well cinnamon goes with sweet potato. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. OKAY UM YES! You made this for ME specifically now didn't you?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet potato and coconut sounds like an interesting combination - and I am curious to know if you eat your breakfast out of those fancy crystal glasses every morning. I guess that is what people do in London :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...if they're trying to take fancy pictures anyway ;) The glasses get used all too rarely otherwise!

      Delete
  4. I have never had sweet sweet potato before. But, I do like the idea of having sweet potato for breakfast - a great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you must experiment with sweet sweet potato - it's a lot of fun :-)

      Delete
  5. A tasty dish that's good for you can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just hopped by from Healthy Vegan Fridays to see your sweet potato breakfast pudding. What a great idea to shake things up at breakfast. I just bought some potatoes so will try this soon. Pinning and sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deborah! I'm glad you like the look of it.

      Delete
  7. This is such a great idea! I'm always looking for ways to get my kids to eat more vegetables, I know my sons would LOVE this for breakfast :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it appeals - I hope it passes the child test for you!

      Delete
  8. This pudding looks so YUM! Loved the idea of making sweet potato pudding! My 3 year old would just love this! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet potatoes for breakfast?! Genius! Love this idea =) I love the idea of fresh blueberries on top - nice touch!
    Thanks so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays - it's being featured this week and I'm pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm embarrassed to be commenting on this so long after you've published it, but I couldn't let a delicious concoction like this pass by without an admiring remark. I love the idea of this. I will put your 'child can make it' challenge to the test :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Lisa - I'm so glad it appeals and would love to know if it passes the child test!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).