Sunday, August 2, 2015

In My Kitchen - August 2015

I am linking this in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

I have come to really value these monthly In My Kitchen posts. In addition to providing a peek into others' kitchens, they are a nice way to take stock of the last month and mark the passing of time across the year. For example, looking at my July IMK, I was reminded that we'd just had our heat wave. Summer has mellowed since and whilst the evenings are still long, it is getting darker slightly earlier.

This month, Celia is dealing with family difficulties but has kindly still done her own In My Kitchen post. You can see what other people are up to through the comments section on her post.


In my kitchen this month, there have been more green smoothies, as pictured above (banana-kale), and more peaches, as pictured below. Peaches make a particularly delicious topping for my vegan French toast and the plate below was made with almond essence in the toast batter. 

Peaches on vegan French toast


I've also discovered blackcurrants this month. Would you believe I've never had them fresh before? They're not sold in Western Australia and it's been a pleasure to discover their tart sweetness now.


It's also been a pleasure to discover these Ritz 'crisp & thin' snacks. They are basically crisps but with less fat and more interesting flavours. 


This sweet chilli variety is vegan and very moreish. They're delicious plain but in an effort to not eat the whole pack in one sitting, I've also paired then with Mexican quinoa and bean salad for a weekend lunch.


Another easy weekend lunch has been sandwiches made with almond butter, kale and mashed sweet potato, with a drizzle of sriracha in the mix. Very satisfying!


Equally satisfying but in a slightly different way are these vegan Pudology tubs, which come in a variety of flavours. I never see them in shops but tend to splash out on a pack when we order from Ocado. The chocolate orange variety is delicious. They're made from coconut milk so are also very rich.


Continuing the coconut theme is a tub of chocolate coconut frozen 'yoghurt' from The Coconut Collaborative. I featured the mango variety in my October 2014 In My Kitchen post but found that flavour a bit sweet. I only spotted the chocolate version recently and like it a lot.


What is happening in your kitchen this month?

25 comments:

  1. My dad used to grow the most amazing blackcurrants and one my all-time favourite childhood desserts was a bowl of stewed blackcurrants either straight up or mixed with some natural yogurt. Even with sugar added, they were still so tart and made my mouth pucker, but I couldn't never get enough. I could literally feel my body 'zinging' with all those nutrients after I'd eaten a bowl ;)
    Definitely going to hunt out those Ritz crisps. They sound really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your childhood blackcurrant memories :-) They are tart but somehow also really moreish!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've ever had fresh blackcurrants either! I always said I loved them growing up but ah, in hindsight I think the only 'blackcurrant' I had was Ribena...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You show me so man amazing vegan products. I am glad to hear that your summer is ending because that meanour winter is ending too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the days will be getting longer for you now!

      Delete
  4. Such a bright, colourful IMK (even the screensaver!). What a great idea to add some Ritz thins to a salad. This would so work for my office weekday lunches :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EllaDee :-) I hope you enjoy the Ritz / salad combination!

      Delete
  5. Wow and your food is always so colorfully exciting and loved your sandwich! I have never tried coconut frozen yogurt but it is on my list to do! Thank you for this month's kitchen view also!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want some French toast right now! And definitely a few spoonfuls of that coconut ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kari, your sandwich combo sounds marvelous. So does your idea to add almond essence to French toast batter (especially with fresh peaches on top.) Thanks for sharing your flavorful wizardry in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have been drinking a lot more green smoothies recently. It's just a really good way to get more vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have been going peach crazy but haven't done it on French toast yet. Great idea! I have never seen fresh black currants here, I am not sure if they grow in our climate or there just isn't a demand for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure either...I assumed it was the climate but so many things are grown in Australia now there may be an element of demand in the explanation too. At least there are peaches and on balance I'd take those over blackcurrants :-)

      Delete
  10. I feel the same way about IMK posts - it gives me a chance to write about some little things that are hard to fit into other posts or don't quite merit a post of their own. And it is great to see what is in others' kitchens too. Your peaches on french toast sound great. I am not sure if I have had blackcurrants before - I know we have redcurrants about occasionally. You can make your own ribena now :-) Will have to check if we have those ritz crisps here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do look out for the Ritz - I really like them. I hadn't thought of making my own ribena but perhaps I can at least try a smoothie with the currants!

      Delete
  11. The pudding and frozen yoghurt sound delicious. I can imagine a blackcurrant compote on top of some buttery French toast would be Ah Ma Zing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those Ritz crackers look delicious! Definitely a great idea adding them as a salad side... I must try that if I can find some locally. I've never thought of putting sweet potato into a sandwich in mash form but it makes perfect sense... I must give that a go. I've never had fresh blackcurrants either... but I am really jealous of the fresh berries you keep talking about! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. the weekday lunch looks perfect! I've never tried fresh blackcurrants either! -Cate from IMK

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been watching a few more minutes of daylight each afternoon as I come home from work. Now no longer pitch black at 5.30pm. Today is Ekka Show Day in Brisbane and it's going to be 27c but I know that it will be back to a more respectable 22c tomorrow. Still, summer is on the way for us! Some peaches or nectarines on a simple toasted waffle with yoghurt used to be a quick breakfast for me at work in summer – I must revive the tradition.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).