Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Mocha buckwheat porridge

It's been too long between buckwheat porridges. So long, in fact, that prior to this month I am not sure when I last made a batch up. I seemed to lose my buckwheat touch in that period as the first version I tried, apple and peach, wasn't a success. It wasn't bad, but the peach flavour didn't come through. What is the point of using peaches if you can't taste them?!

The minimally flavoured apple and peach buckwheat porridge
(I added extra peaches and dried raspberry pieces on top)

Having tried and failed at a peachy porridge, I veered off course and went to dessert flavours instead. This is partially due to my recent purchase of Choc Shot liquid chocolate. I've been reading about it for months in Vegan Life magazine and on other blogs, and it is basically stevia-sweetened vegan chocolate syrup. It's very versatile and because it's low in sugar I think it's appropriate to use it at any time of day.



I used instant coffee granules and you could use regular or decaffeinated according to your taste. Of course, if you don't like coffee at all, you could also make this fully chocolate...


As I am wont to do with buckwheat porridge recipes, I kept some fruit in this batter in the form of banana. It lent a creamy texture and some sweetness without giving banana flavour. Apple is another option if you are banana averse.


As per the pictures, I made this in two snack sized jars. If you are having this for breakfast it will give one more generous serve. I imagine it would be delicious with raspberries on top too.

Mocha buckwheat porridge
A justifiably decadent breakfast or snack
Makes 1 generous breakfast serve or 2 small snack serves
Vegan and gluten free

Food processor or blender required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1/2 cup raw untoasted buckwheat groats, soaked in 2 cups of water for a few hours or overnight
1 medium banana
1/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)
2 tsp instant coffee granules
2 tsp chocolate syrup (I used Choc Shot)

Method
After soaking your buckwheat groats, drain them and rinse well. Add to your food processor or blender along with the banana and milk. Process until creamy and reasonably smooth, approximately 1 minute. Add the coffee and chocolate and process to incorporate.
 
--
 
Other buckwheat porridge recipes on Bite-Sized-Thoughts:

What are you enjoying for breakfast at the moment?

15 comments:

  1. you are getting quite a collection of buckwheat porridge - I have gone off porridge again but keep hoping that I will find my porridge mojo again - perhaps just chocolate for me with no coffee thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might say that ;) Chocolate away and see if it brings back your mojo!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Alesah's been mesmerised lately by porridges and oats for breakfast. This should work for her! Thank you for sharing!!

    Julie & Alesah
    Gourmet Getaways xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Already being a buckwheat porridge fan - this definitely floats my boat!!! :-) I have tried with cocoa powder, but not with a banana added as well - guess what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Love the sound of this dish! Absolutely delish and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am obsessed with Choc Shot. It's always a sad day when it runs out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first one so I haven't yet experienced that!

      Delete
  6. I've been getting a little bored with my overnight oats, so I'm thinking that I need to try to get some buckwheat into my mornings! Love that this has a dessert feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of my recipes end up with a dessert feel to them :D

      Delete
  7. Yum! These are great flavours. A great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a shame you couldn't get the peach flavour to come through although, chocolate is a great alternative. I do like the sound of that chocolate shot. I wonder if it's available here. Your buckwheat mocha porridge sounds like a very tasty way to start the day xx

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).