Tuesday, August 4, 2015

One-bowl vegan blackberry and chia seed muffins

How do you like your muffins? There are so many features to consider: size, flour base, flavour and even topping. Traditionally, I have liked my muffins dense and wholegrain, often with a vegetable in the mix (such as my carrot, apple and sultana muffins or pumpkin, apple and cranberry muffins). Sometimes, though, I veer across to muffins that could almost be cupcakes, such is their fluffy texture and sweet flavour.


These blackberry and chia seed muffins are in the fluffy sweet camp, but trust me, it's worth going there even if you're not usually a white flour and refined sugar type. The muffins are absolutely studded with berries and the chia seeds boost the nutrition while also giving some texture contrast.
The idea for chia seeds as a feature (rather than disguised in batter as a vegan egg replacer) came from Cakelaw's recent post on lemon, chia and ricotta muffins. Lemon and poppyseed is such a classic flavour and I liked the switch to chia seeds instead. The rest of my muffin recipe was adapted from a one-bowl blueberry muffin mix on Inspired Taste. I reduced the sugar and oil, swapped out the egg for chia seeds, and swapped the blueberries for blackberries.


I used blackberries because I had them on hand, but any berries would work. Frozen are fine too if you don't have fresh ones available. I used 1-1/2 cups of berries which was a generous quantity, so 1 cup would also be fine if you aren't operating with a berry surplus.

One-bowl vegan blackberry and chia seed muffins
An extremely easy recipe that yields fluffy, berry-studded muffins
Makes 12 standard sized muffins
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts with inspiration from Cakelaw's lemon, chia and ricotta muffins and Inspired Taste's one-bowl blueberry muffins


Ingredients
1-1/2 cups (195g) plain flour
1/2 cup (100g) white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp (30ml) neutral flavored oil
3/4 cup (185ml) non-dairy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 to 1-1/2 cups blackberries or berries of choice

Method
Preheat your oven to 200'C (400'F) and prepare a 12-pan muffin tray.

Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and chia seeds in a large bowl.

Add the vegetable oil, non-dairy milk and vanilla to the dry ingredients and stir through until just combined (don't over-mix). Add the berries and stir through gently.

Transfer the muffin mix to your muffin tray and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until the tops are slightly golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.


So tell me - how do you like your muffins?

15 comments:

  1. I prefer muffins with lots of texture and hence I like the idea of chia seeds in these muffins - almost threw them into some muffins I made last week but they seemed to have enough texture in them - so am pleased to see it worked well here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you noticed how blackberries seem to be coming out early this year? I can't wait to introduce them to chia muffins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my first year for blackberries really! We were here this time last year but I didn't seem to know about blackberries (they're not really a thing in Australia) so I am making up for lost time now :D

      Delete
  3. I do love blackberry muffins that are stacked with blackberries. I haven't had them with chia seeds but I do know I need to add more chia seeds to my diet so this is a great idea. I can't wait to see blackberries in our stores again. Blackberries grow so well in England xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do! And wild too! There are some in a local park nearly at ripening point - I suspect others will pick them before me but it's still nice knowing they are there.

      Delete
  4. I love chia seeds in muffins! It's a rare event if I don't add them, actually :) And I want to say, how cool is your profile photo on the side bar! I was staring at it for ages, thinking "how did she do that?!" hahaha. Very cool :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kyra! And to answer (although you probably figured it out), by taking a photo looking at my laptop...on a train because I was bored :P

      Delete
  5. Yet another example of how versatile chia seeds are. I really need to start using them in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make a great addition to many dishes!

      Delete
  6. Cupcakes disguised as muffins are my favorite kinds of muffins! These sound so good...and I have chia seeds on hand to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I have all of these ingredients. They may need to be tomorrow's baking project. I love muffins with texture. Actually if I'm honest, I love muffins, period :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the shout out Kari. These muffins look delish - blueberries are always a winner in muffins in my books.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).