Sunday, July 19, 2015

Raspberry and rose mousse {vegan}

Chickpea brine, or aquafaba, is turning up everywhere as the latest craze ingredient. I can see why - it's a vegan alternative to egg whites and can be used to make meringues, pavlova, mousse, marshmallow fluff and many things besides. Given my love of mousse, I was pretty excited to hear about it.

I first tried using the liquid to make chocolate mousse, following this recipe from Mouthwatering Vegan. The recipe and photos really were mouthwatering, but unfortunately my mousse did not turn out quite so well! It was grainy, and tasted a bit beany, and didn't fully set. I blame user error rather than the recipe but it did dampen my enthusiasm for aquafaba for a while.


Fortunately, my enthusiasm rebounded and I tried a different type of mousse this weekend. This version is flavoured with fresh raspberries, almond essence and vanilla essence, and I scatted rose petals on top for good measure. To ensure the mousse set, I used some vegan gelatin as well as the chickpea liquid. There was no graininess, no beaniness, and plenty of fluffy joy.

With the flavours and subtle pink colouring, I felt like I was eating a Persian or Moroccan dessert. I loved the almond and rose flavours against the raspberries and because of the fat-free ingredient list, it was a very light and fluffy mousse. I am calling it a win for aquafaba!

Raspberry and rose mousse
No one will guess the secret ingredient that gives the fluffy result!
Vegan, low fat and gluten free
Serves 2

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
Liquid from one 375g tin chickpeas (aquafaba)
1 punnet (1 cup / 250g) raspberries (mine were fresh but frozen would work too)
1 sachet (6.5g) vegan gelatin (guar gum or agar-agar would be other options)
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp almond essence
1 tsp vanilla essence
Dried edible rose petals, for decorating

Method
Beat the chickpea brine in a medium mixing bowl with electric beaters, until white and fluffy - at least 2 minutes. Set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.

Puree or thoroughly mash the raspberries and add to a small saucepan along with the gelatin, caster sugar, almond essence and vanilla essence. Heat very gently, stirring regularly, until the gelatin powder is fully dissolved and you have a semi-smooth puree. Allow to cool slightly.

Slowly pour about one-third of the raspberry mixture into the beaten aquafaba, stirring through carefully with a whisk. Repeat for the next third of the mixture, and again for the final third.

Transfer the mousse mixture into individual glasses or parfait dishes and sprinkle rose petals on top. Set in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.


Have you tried aquafaba? 

15 comments:

  1. I am a bit late to the aquafaba thing - I still haven't plucked up the courage to make some meringues with it yet, but I've seen so many interesting things made with it, I really need to try it! I love rose as a flavour for desserts - perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really gotten into rose flavoured things this year - I'm not sure if it's age or something about England but they do seem perfect for summer! I recommend aquafaba for some experimentation and fun if nothing else :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely!!! I bought loads of frozen raspberries half price this week and have been thinking about a nice dessert like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure with your aquafaba experience you'll be able to make something even more fancy!

      Delete
  3. Pleased you have had success with aqua faba - it is so amazing and bizarre - I want to try a chocolate mousse but never was so keen on it - perhaps I need to try a chocolate mousse cake which I did love years ago when they were trendy.. This sounds like a lovely summer dessert and is very pretty as well - will look forward to your future experiments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chocolate mousse cake would be wonderful - please do that and then I can use your recipe :D

      Delete
  4. I have been seeing these kinds of recipes, with the chickpea liquid, everywhere at the moment, but it's not something that I have tried. Maybe I have to give it a try for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I've heard the phrase "aquafaba" but I had no idea that it was chickpea brine! I guess I never made the connection. Impressed that it actually works and that you made such a dainty dessert with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it took reading your comment for me to actually make the connection between 'aquafaba' as a word and chickpea liquid as what it means - I obviously never made the connection properly either :P

      Delete
  6. When I first heard of using the brine from a can of chickpeas to make meringues, I was thinking, 'well, waste not want not' because all my life I have been pouring the brine down the sink! Who would have thought it could make such amazing vegan desserts! Your mousse is such a pretty colour and it looks very summery xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been pouring it down the sink too! I don't know who thought to try whipping it up instead but they had impressive foresight.

      Delete
  7. I keep meaning to make something with the chickpea brine, but never got around to it. I need to get a tin of beans though instead of using up my dried beans :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been seeing lots of acquafarba recipes recently, but this one is unique. So pretty - must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah liking it. I always forget to keep the chickpea brine..must make more of an effort.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).