Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Peanut butter cacao energy balls, with berries and coconut {vegan, no bake + no food processor}

I know I say this every time I share a new treat ball recipe, but this latest version really is very good! The ingredient list alone makes me swoon, with cacao nibs as well as cocoa powder, goji berries, dried cranberries, and coconut - as well as the all important peanut butter. When mixed together, the result is just as delicious as it sounds. I particularly like the contrasting texture of cacaco nibs and goji berries against a creamy peanut butter base.


Another advantage of this recipe is that you don't require a food processor. By starting with peanut butter instead of whole nuts, you can make these in a single mixing bowl. They don't need refrigeration to set either. It doesn't get any easier!



I made these by adapting the no-processor chocolate almond butter balls my mother made a few years ago. The addition of cacao nibs, berries and coconut was driven purely by my taste. The result reminded me that kitchen experimentation is really fun, and doesn't have to be complex. These utilised what I had on hand and came together in under 10 minutes.

These are rich, but incredibly satisfying and jam-packed with whole foods to boot. I hope you enjoy them!


Peanut butter cacao energy balls
Featuring a delicious ingredient list, minimal preparation time and no food processing
Vegan and gluten free
Makes 20 balls

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
2/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder
1/4 cup cacao nibs
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup dried goji berries
1/4 cup dried cranberries (or cherries)
1/4 cup rice malt syrup, agave syrup or maple syrup
Pinch salt (omit if using salted peanut butter)

Method
Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. I found it helped to use the back of a metal spoon to press the ingredients against the side of the bowl, to ensure they are fully combined.

Roll into balls using your hands. Eat immediately or after refrigeration.

Store in the fridge.


What new dishes / treats are you enjoying at the moment?

11 comments:

  1. I like that you have added some berries in to this for a little fruit boost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do add a nice contrast to the choc-peanut butter aspect!

      Delete
  2. These look delish Kari. I need to get back to making some energy balls. I have been hoarding recipes for them and just not making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling :-) I do that with lots of things too!

      Delete
  3. I loved those chocolate almond butter balls so this looks good to me - love a bliss ball recipe that don't need the food processor or the fridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment about not needing the fridge has proved particularly apt this week...ours has died :S

      Delete
  4. I love that this is both fruity and peanut buttery! Perfect combo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum! You have a special gift for treat balls. I love goji berries and coconut together, and peanut butter with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound really good and I'm so impressed they don't need to harden in the fridge, particularly with the current heat in London. I do love the mix of ingredients, especially the peanut butter, chocolate and dried berries. What great texture and flavours! xx

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).