Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Peach and mint green smoothie

I've had a slow start to smoothie drinking this summer. I accepted that as a phase and was confident my smoothie love would surface again eventually. Fortunately, it now has and I'm keen to make up for lost drinking time!

This peach and mint green smoothie was what heralded the switch from "I guess I could use up these greens in a banana smoothie, but I'm not sure I can be bothered" to "I really can't wait to whiz these ingredients up and drink them". It's a great summer smoothie, with the mint and peach pairing together beautifully and conjuring up images of beach-side cocktails.

I used fresh mint for this and really recommend it. A windowsill mint plant is perfect for summer and will add flavour to mineral water and iced tea as well as smoothies. The other ingredients are staple smoothie classics, and the chia seeds and banana make this thick and creamy despite the lack of milk.

Peach and mint green smoothie
Makes 1 large smoothie or 2 smaller ones
Vegan and gluten free

Blender required, preferably high powered

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup kale or spinach leaves (I used kale)
Small handful fresh mint leaves (5-6 leaves)
1 frozen banana, halved
2 small peaches, chopped
1 tbsp chia seeds
1-1/2 cups cold water

Method
Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.


What are you drinking at the moment?

18 comments:

  1. I bought a big batch of peaches the other day, so I am loving putting them in my smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! Also as an aside, how do you find cleaning your glass straw after a smoothie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a straw cleaner :D I tried washing it without for a while but it never felt properly clean. The cleaner is a little wire brush that fits perfectly within the straw, and can be pushed right through.

      Delete
    2. I was interested to see your answer to this question - a friend recently told me of her kids getting sick and she thought it might have been from a straw in a sippy cup - I love that you can clean them as I worry about some of sylvia's straws that sit in her cups

      Delete
    3. Yes, straws are so hard to clean otherwise! I found my cleaner in a vegan cafe / shop back in Perth but suspect they're available online.

      Delete
  3. Sounds lovely - one of Sylvia's favourite easy smoothies is one she calls chocolate milkshakes which have milk, banana and cocoa - I added some chocolate spread today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to force myself into smoothie making, and this is just the inspiration I need! i think I have all the ingredients already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, having read your last post, you've found it now :D

      Delete
  5. I am not a smoothie person, but this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess in Melbourne winter, smoothies will not be very appealing even if you are a smoothie person!

      Delete
  6. I like to start my days with smoothies too and when the weather is hot and you can't be bothered eating, they make a really good meal. I do like the combination of peach and mint! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you added mint to this!

    theglowwithin.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love the donut peaches that are around at the moment - so scenty and sweet. Perfect summer smoothie fodder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are amazing! I've been eating so many :P

      Delete
  9. I tried a few different brands of Green drink. Of all of the brands available, my favorite one is fueled with chlorophyll, fiber, vitamins, minerals and enzymes. I have been drinking it daily for over two years now.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).