Thursday, July 9, 2015

Apple and nectarine crumble

Our fridge/freezer decided to die this week. It's been inconsistently cooling for a few weeks now (since our Australian freezer debacle, we always have thermometers in the fridge and freezer) but this week it just stopped. Kaput. I'm not sure if I'm more upset by the £215 replacement cost or the fact we have to throw out so much food and buy replacements of that!

Luckily, I made this crumble before the fridge died. The crumble doesn't really need refrigeration, but you may want to serve it with custard and/or ice cream and they do benefit from chilling.



This is similar to my apple and strawberry crumble, but simpler. It features just 6 ingredients and most of them are kitchen staples. In fact, it's so easy, I expect to repeat it before our stone fruit season is out. While I used nectarine, peach or plum would work equally well.

I tend to make my crumbles with little added sugar, relying on the fruit for sweetness and allowing any accompanying sides (aforementioned custard or ice cream) to boost the sweetness if needed. This is no exception. It met with Mr Bite's approval when paired with ice cream, and I found it sweet enough even served plain. With custard it was easily in the sweet dessert category.



Apple and nectarine crumble
A minimally sweetened but maximally satisfying dessert
Makes a small crumble to serve 2 to 3 - double quantities if desired
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients -
Filling
2 apples, peeled and chopped
2 nectarine, chopped
1 tbsp sugar

Topping
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup flour
1 tbsp non-dairy spread or almond butter

Method -
Preheat your oven to 175'C (350'F).

In a small baking or pie dish, combine the chopped apples, nectarines and 1 tbsp sugar. 

In a small mixing bowl, combine the additional sugar with the oats, flour and spread. Stir to combine, and then distribute evenly over the top of the fruit mix.

Cook for 30 minutes or until fragrant and golden on top.



What is your favourite crumble filling?

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful dessert to me - I usually get to the end of the summer and regret not baking more stone fruit as there is something amazing when they are cooked and soft and collapsing. Sorry to hear about your fridge/freezer - I get worried ours is getting a bit colder than it should be - if I had room a thermometer would be a good idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thermometers we have don't take up much space - I am sure you could use any but we have fridge ones that are small and show the right range for fridge and freezer temperatures. I wouldn't be without one after seeing how intermittent cooling can get when fridges are on the way out!

      Delete
  2. Oh no :( We have had our freezer die on us before too, and the worst part really is throwing out all the food. It's such a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Crumble is one of my favourite desserts (and um.. breakfast too). I love plain apple (with rhubarb if feeling fancy), peach, and apricot versions. I also love to add coconut shreds to my crumble topping too. Sorry to hear about the fridge/freezer. Food waste horrifies me especially as I always have lots of frozen meals prepped too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of coconut shreds in the mix! And having crumble for breakfast :-)

      I'm trying to tell myself the wasted food averages out in the bigger picture but it is such a shame!

      Delete
  4. Why do these things always seems to happen in the summer?! Definitely frustrating. But at least you got this crumble in before it died!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame the heat :P But yes, at least we got this first!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).