Thursday, July 16, 2015

Recent food finds

I'm used to sharing what happens in my kitchen each month, but this post is about foods that come from outside of my kitchen and often never make it home.

First up: 100% Natural Foods raw chocolate brownies.


I spotted these at the FCB coffee shop attached to the train station near my work. The discovery was one of pleasure and concern - pleasure at having raw vegan brownies so accessible, but concern that the accessibility may lead to excessive brownie consumption. As it turns out, I don't love these, so am safe from over-consumption. I do like them, and am still glad to have them nearby, but they are a little bit dry and crumbly. (I do appreciate it says something about my access to vegan food that I can criticise such a product...) 

Despite the slight dryness, I have got through three brownies in the last two months. In addition to the goji berry flavour above, I've tried coconut (probably my favourite) and chia seed.

Equally decadent but not at all raw is this chocolate-hazelnut Ms Cupcake cupcake


I've previously had Ms Cupcake goods (all vegan) from their Brixton-based store, but the company now has cupcakes in Whole Foods. Not bad for a small business that originally started in a home kitchen!

Slightly healthier but also from Whole Foods was this soba noodle salad.


I've had a few products by Laura's Idea over time and like the range of dishes they make. This salad is perfect for summer, atlhough as it doesn't have much in the way of protein, I paired it with some flavoured tofu (this was a meal that made it back to my kitchen!).


For those days when I'm out and about and Whole Foods isn't near by, it's nice to know I can now find vegan food at Caffe Nero. In addition to the hoummous and falafel wrap pictured below, they have a falafel salad with tabbouleh and a mint-beetroot dressing. I prefer the salad (although forgot to photograph it) but am impressed at both additions to their packaged range. I also like that the back of each pack clearly states 'vegan'.


It seems like every month that passes brings more accessible vegan food, and I confess to feeling very spoilt a lot of the time!.

What food discoveries have you enjoyed lately?

13 comments:

  1. Kari, I'm envious of all the vegan goodies you have access to. I think if I had brownies available, even if they were a little crumbly, I'd eat them too, purely to support a vegan product! The tofu looks yummy too... and I love it when products proudly state 'Vegan' on them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And yes, even if vegan treats are slightly below perfect, I figure it's worth it to support them and they are normally still enjoyable!

      Delete
  2. I think that is awesome that cafe nero are serving vegan food now. I think they are also realising that they are not just good choices for vegans, but people that want to eat healthier too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the retro packaging of the raw chocolate brownies - how nice to have it as a choice and to feel there is so much good vegan food out there. The salad and smoked tofu meal sounds like an excellent healthy ready meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the packaging too :-) You can imagine my delight when I saw the bars all lined up on display!

      Delete
  4. It's great that the range of vegan foods seems to be improving and increasing. It's a shame the brownies are a bit dry and crumbly. I love the sound of all the different flavours and I think coconut would be my favourite of the three as well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut pairs well with many things, but chocolate in particular!

      Delete
  5. I can certainly understand why some of them wouldn't make it home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a shame about the brownie, but excellent that you found good vegan cupcakes. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow it looks like you really are finding a lot of vegan food close by to be able to be picky with brownies lol! That's a positive thing though i reckon! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).