Friday, May 15, 2015

Peanut butter oat and raisin cookies (vegan + gluten free)


When I am in a peanut butter phase (or an almond butter phase, or a tahini phase, or an apple sauce phase, or a sweet chilli sauce phase...) it amazes me that I have patches when I am not obsessed with peanut butter (or almond butter, or tahini, or my food love of the week). After a few months of occasional peanut butter consumption, I am back into enjoying it with a vengeance and these biscuits (cookies) are a direct result.

As is typical of my baking, these are very easy to make. There are hardly any ingredients, the cooking time is minimal, and you only need one bowl and no electric beaters. The oats are a clear star but the raisins and peanut butter are dependable supporting acts. The peanut butter stands in for oil / margarine, whilst apple sauce (another of my pet loves) lends sweetness and helps to bind the oats together.

If you want a more decadent version, you can even swap the raisins for chocolate (in which case, almond butter could be a more expensive but delicious swap too!).


Peanut butter oat and raisin cookies
Easy, delicious cookies that are perfect for any time snacking
Makes 16
Vegan and wheat free; gluten free if using GF oats


Print recipe

Ingredients
1/2 metric cup (125ml) natural peanut butter
1/2 metric cup (125ml) natural apple sauce
1-1/4 metric cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 metric cup raisins

Method
Preheat your oven to 175'C / 350'F and line two baking trays with non-stick paper.

Combine the peanut butter and apple sauce in a mixing bowl. Add the oats, baking powder and cinnamon and stir well to incorporate. Add the raisins and stir through.

Using your hands, gently shape dessertspoon-sized balls of the mixture and place on the prepared baking trays. The mix will be quite soft at this point. Flatten the balls just slightly.

Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, checking carefully as the edges will start to brown up quickly (as some of my biscuits show!).

Allow to cool slightly before serving. Store in an air tight container.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Do you go through food phases? And what are you eating out of jars this week?

16 comments:

  1. Yum - these look and sound delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now these look like my kind of cookies ;) I wish apple sauce was more readily available in our shops. The only kind I ever find in the supermarkets is the sweetened version that people serve with pork :/ Where do you buy yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I buy the little pots of apple purée which are in the baby food section of supermarkets. I think the brand I usually get is called "Hipp Organic".

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your tip Emma! I do sometimes buy the natural baby food apple puree, but also make my own sometimes if I have apples that are a bit past there best (just peel, chop, cook in water until soft, and then process in a food processor).

      With the above said, I also tend to keep a jar of the supermarket, sweetened variety on hand and prefer the Waitrose one for taste even though it has the standard additives!

      Delete
  3. I just made Peanut Butter Oatmeal Raisin Cookies a couple of weeks ago! I had planned to share them on the blog but was baking in the evening and had friends round and all the cookies got eaten! I need to make them again. Mine are more of a dessert cookie than yours - with coconut sugar and some oil - but yours look much more justifiable for breakfast ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how funny! Good minds think alike :-) If you make yours again I'll look forward to seeing your dessert style twist - they sound lovely too.

      Delete
  4. I love these kind of simple and wholesome cookies that seem to come together by magic! I definitely go through food phases- most recently salted peanut butter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love it when you can make something in a single bowl and the method doesn't require a range of equipment. These look like a lovely snack xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok these are happening on the next mama/toddler bake day. I too love peanut butter and apple puree... and just quietly, one bowl, minimal ingredient recipes are always a winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a toddler but minimal ingredient, one bowl recipes are still high on my 'yes' list! I hope you enjoy them if you get to them :-)

      Delete
  7. they look really healthy and yummy - I wish for more peanut butter phases - just get my fix on bread these days but I long to bake with it (only 18 months since we requested sylvia's allergy be retested!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 18 months!! That is a terribly long time to be vigilant about peanuts if she is no longer allergic. I hope you get to the top of the list soon (and even better if she isn't allergic anymore on retesting). I am sure these would be enjoyable with almond butter or sunflower seed butter too if needed :-)

      Delete
  8. These sound delicious! And such a healthier version of cookies, I like the natural sweetener =) I will definitely be trying these out soon - I think they would even make part of a good breakfast! Thanks so much for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays - this recipe will be featured this week. I have pinned your recipe too!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).