Sunday, May 3, 2015

In my kitchen - May 2015



I am linking this in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

Happy May all, and happy long weekend to my UK readers! I think the only thing better than a bank holiday tomorrow is knowing we get another one in just 3 weeks. May is certainly a good month for holidays.

In my kitchen this month, there are two exciting new yoghurts. I have previously enjoyed the plain (unsweetened) Provamel soya yoghurt, but these soya-coconut and soya-almond varieties are far more enticing. The coconut variety tastes of normal coconut yoghurt, but is less rich. The almond variety tastes slightly of almond essence, which is delightful. I like them very much.


In my kitchen there is also an experimental raw vanilla cheesecake. I don't yet know if it will work. If you never hear about it again, you can probably conclude it didn't.



 More reliable, in my kitchen there is tofu...


 ...and frozen cherries. I'm still waiting for spring and summer fruit to take off, so frozen berries are sustaining me until then.


In my kitchen are spicy tahini fries. I made them using 3 medium potatoes and 2 medium carrots, sliced and tossed in a marinade of 1 tablespoon of tahini, 1/2 tablespoon of water and 1 teaspoon of jerk seasoning. I really liked the result.


Also featuring tahini, but perhaps less successful, was a simple spinach and chickpea salad with a dressing made from tahini and tomato paste. It was thrown together in haste and could have benefited from a bit more planning - and more ingredients! Peppers and sundried tomatoes come to mind.


Last but not least, in my kitchen there is an increasing amount of light. Our curtains are often open until 9pm now and it is light before 6am. It's a lovely time of year.

What is happening in your kitchen this month?

32 comments:

  1. I really like those yoghurts too. I agree it's nice to have a lighter coconutty flavoured yogurt.
    And thanks for the tip off about the cherries from tesco! I've been looking for sweet frozen cherries for a while but hadn't found any. Have a great May :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy May to you too Emma :-) I'm glad I could help with the cherries - we have a big Tesco near us but hopefully they'll be easy to find local to you.

      Delete
  2. I am really missing the natural light in the evenings as it gets darker and darker each day. Fried tofu and frozen cherries sound great (how did you serve them?) and I that spinach and chickpea salad looks really gorgeous - shame if it wasn't quite as tasty but am sure you could tweak it to work. And good luck with the cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far the tofu has been paired with my tahini fries and salad, and with rice and stir fried vegetables, whilst the cherries are topping my new yoghurts :-)

      Delete
  3. We had our May Day holiday moved to October but in a triumph of politics, our new state government will move it back to May next year. Can't wait! I made a tahini sauce on the weekend but had too much so it's sitting in the fridge. I think I can go home tonight and whip up a batch of your tahini fries as I have all the ingredients needed. Great inspiration Kari! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent timing with the tahini sauce! I hope you like the fries if you made them. And at least you have your October holiday still to look forward to :-)

      Delete
  4. Love the look and sound of those yoghurts especially the coconut one - I bet it would be great with my morning granola :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love tahini and grilled vegetables. Enjoy your long weekend and brighter and longer evenings. Darkness falls so quickly in our part of the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely having more light - all too quickly we'll be back to the shorter days too! Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  6. It's always so much fun seeing products from around the world.
    Have a super day.
    :-) Mandy xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been eating lots of frozen berries also...they're tiding me over until the fresh ones come into season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I hope the fresh ones come soon though :-)

      Delete
  8. I am loving the things in your kitchen. Frozen cherries are very handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just - so many possible uses!

      Delete
  9. I love tahini and those tahini fries sound sooo tempting! I hope the frozen cherries are as delicious as they look in that photo! How nice to have holidays when the sun is shining! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is - holidays when you can't leave the house are more challenging!

      Delete
  10. Those long English summer days are so wonderful. I have frozen cherries too. I'm very much into coconut yoghurt at the moment. There's a great brand I can buy at Harris Farm and it comes in lots of yummy flavours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, coconut yoghurt in different flavours sounds lovely. I mostly have the plain varieties accessible to me!

      Delete
  11. I am loving having a lighter kitchen at the moment too - it means I can take better food photos inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the sound of raw cheesecake and would be great with your berries!
    Thank you for this month's IMK view too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed great with the berries! Thanks for stopping by Joanne :-)

      Delete
  13. The tahini fries sound great. I will have to remember to try spinach and chickpeas too, love chickpeas in salads!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really need to hunt down more varieties of non dairy yoghurt. They're all so pricey though. Slightly off topic, but Tutti Fruiti (the froyo place) now have soy and sorbet varieties, both of which are vegan (and addictive, as I stalk their stores to check if a vegan option is available).

    I love fried tofu... it's so funny to read your posts and have things be opposite. I'm missing light here, it makes getting up very hard (for me, not for the small people who delight in getting up pre sun). ARGH!!!

    Love the sound of your tahini fries too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the new yoghurt varieties I found aren't more than soya yoghurts, but I know what you mean about most non-dairy products. They cost so much!

      I used to LOVE the soy soft serve from Tutti Fruiti! I was obsessed with it too and am sad not to have found an equivalent soft serve over here!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).