Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Three ingredient, no crust, chilled vanilla cheesecake {vegan + raw}

So...that cheesecake mentioned in my last post? It did work out. Rather well, in fact. I still find raw desserts amazing, and this one is a particularly good example because it uses just three simple ingredients.


As per the title of this post, I made the cheesecake without a crust. This contributes to the short ingredient list, but you could easily make a crusted version if you like. If doing so, I recommend the bases I have used with previous raw cheesecakes. With that said, I did like this crust-free version as it allowed the creamy vanilla flavour to shine through without distraction.



As for the ingredients? Cashews, soaked in water; dates; and vanilla. I know, it's hardly a novel combination of ingredients. However, I have never made such a simple cheesecake and I wasn't sure if it would be sufficiently interesting to eat. This is also my first time blending soaked cashews and dates for a cheesecake filling. I was pleased to find the mixture delicious in flavour and smooth in texture.


This doesn't need adornment, but my frozen (thawed) cherries made a nice addition and I'm sure that other berries would be equally enjoyable. If you wanted to take the decadence level up a step, drizzling chocolate over the top would be delicious too.

This is a cheesecake that needs storing in the freezer, and you can pretty much eat it straight from the freezer. The texture is firmer than traditional cheesecakes but only slightly. I did make mine quite thin so it is possible that thicker cakes would need some thawing time. As freezers also vary, I recommend experimenting with what is right for you.




No crust chilled vanilla cheesecake
You'll be amazed by how 3 ingredients can come together to make such a delicious creamy dessert!
Raw, vegan and gluten free
Makes 1 small cheesecake to serve 6 to 8

Food processor required
Advance soaking time + chilling time required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts

Print recipe

Ingredients
1-1/4 cups cashews, soaked in water for at least 4 hours or overnight
1-1/4 cups deglet nour or mejool dates (mine were deglet nour)
1 tbsp vanilla

Method
Drain the cashews and add to a food processor along with the dates. Process until creamy, at least 5 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla and process to incorporate.


When the mixture is smooth and resembles ice cream in consistency, transfer to a pie tin or other baking tin and press down firmly. Smooth the top with a spatula. Set in the freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight.


Store in, and serve from, the freezer.


What simple dish are you enjoying at the moment?

8 comments:

  1. this looks really interesting - amazing how few ingredients it takes - I was admiring the firmness after making the pudding like cheesecakes recently - I think freezing it thinly sounds like a good idea - would make it easier to slice up. Oh and I love the plates too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna - your new blender would make easy work of this! - and the thin slices help for making it last longer although I do like thick creamy vegan cheesecakes as well.

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious! I adore your cute little serving plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds incredible to me that you can make a cheesecake with just three ingredients. Unbelievable and how convenient. I do love vanilla desserts. I think the cherries are a lovely accompaniment xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing isn't it? Nuts and dates are quite magical :-)

      Delete
  4. This is wonderful, Kari!! A lot of my clients have gluten and dairy sensitivities, and one of the foods they miss the most is cheese. They also don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen so the is perfect! I can't wait to try and pass this along to them ;). Keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).