Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Jamie Oliver inspired vegan chickpea and carrot burgers

Burgers. They are such an easy meal, and have summery connotations even though you can eat them all year round. I have enjoyed some great vegan burger patties in the past, including the paprika-spiced sweet potato, bean and tahini patties I shared in February, and Angela's Thai sweet potato veggie burgers on Oh She Glows. However, I like trying new things too and so this weekend I tried a new vegan recipe from Jamie Oliver.

 


Jamie features a vegetarian and vegan-friendly "happy cow" burger in his 15 Minute Meals book, and I had tried (and liked) that previously. His online "best vegan burger" is simpler and I was drawn to the minimal ingredient list, with chickpeas and sweetcorn making up most of the burger bulk.

Mr Bite doesn't like sweetcorn so I swapped that for grated carrot, and also made a few tweaks to the seasonings. For those reasons I can't claim to have made Jamie's recipe exactly, but I am grateful to him for the inspiration.


We both liked the burgers but, for me at least, they don't rival my previous favourites. In a bun with sauce the patties were lovely, but they were a bit crumbly when cooking and I don't know if they would be sufficiently flavourful to eat alone. I'm pleased to have tried them out but will keep searching for new recipes to complement my existing burger favourites!

Chickpea and carrot burgers
Makes 8 small patties (I used 1-1/2 patties in each burger bun)

Food processor needed
Allow 30 minutes or longer for chilling the burger mix before cooking

Author: Adapted from Jamie Oliver's vegan burger


Ingredients
1-1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (equivalent to a standard 375g tin, drained)
2 medium carrots, grated
3 tbsp whole rolled oats
3 tbsp flour
1 tbsp lemon juice
Pinch salt
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder (or substitute cumin or even garlic if you don't have onion powder)

Flour, extra, for coating if needed
Oil, for cooking

Salad and burger buns for serving

Method
Combine the chickpeas, grated carrots and rolled oats in a food processor and process until well combined, although not fully smooth. Add the flour, lemon juice and seasonings and process until semi-smooth.

With wet hands, shape the mix into approximately 8 burger patties. Coat in extra flour if needed. Place on a plate or baking tray lined with non-stick paper and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (I left mine for several hours).

Drizzle oil in a non-stick pan and heat to medium-high heat. Cook the burger patties for several minutes on each side, until golden and slightly charred.

Serve in a bun with salad and sauce to taste.



Other flavour-filled burger recipes on Bite-Sized Thoughts:

How do you like your burgers?

7 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for new veggie burger recipes to try no matter the time of year! Bummer that these didn't stand up to your favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! But you can only try - it's fun testing at least :-)

      Delete
  2. I liked the look of how simple these were and am sure that it is worth trying for an easy burger recipe - but I am very wary of those claiming theirs are "the best" - really there are so many options out there that this is a big call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I tried not to use the term too much even if it was in the original recipe title ;)

      Delete
  3. vegan burgers like this prove that you don't need meat for an awesome burger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to mix and mash some veggies on my burger. But this one has it all! What a wonderful share.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).