Thursday, May 28, 2015

Quick and easy chunky hummous

How do you like your hummous (or hummus)? I discovered on the weekend that while I like it all ways, I particularly like it thick and chickpea-y. In contrast, Mr Bite likes it smooth and mellow, with the chickpea flavour in greater disguise. This recipe is for the thicker, chunkier type. It makes a meal of crackers and carrot sticks, and I can't say I mind that Mr B is leaving it largely to me...


Hummous is hardly an innovative recipe and I'm not sure we need another contribution to the online collection of hummous ideas. This one is only lightly adapted from a BBC recipe.  However, sometimes this blog is for my own reference too! If you do need an idea for ingredient proportions, this one should suit if you like chickpeas and chunky dips. It makes a great base for falafal wraps too, as pictured below.



Quick and easy chunky hummous
Makes about 1-1/2 cups
Food processor needed
Author: Lightly adapted from a BBC hummous recipe


Ingredients
1-1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (equivalent to a standard 375g tin, drained)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp lemon juice
5 tbsp water

Method
Add all ingredients except the lemon juice and water to a food processor, and process until fairly smooth. Add the lemon juice and water and process until integrated and the mixture has your desired consistency.

Store in the fridge, covered.


So...how do you like your hummous?

17 comments:

  1. Hummus HAS to be a little bit chunky in my opinion. It's the only way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like hummous but usually buy it - and it comes fairly thin. This looks like a good version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our store bought versions are fairly thin too - I think they cater to Mr Bite's tastes :)

      Delete
  3. I'm a firm believer that hummus needs to be chunky. And I like it on all the things! My favourite at the moment is with carrot sticks but I've also been using it as layers in lasagne type dishes lately and it's delicious while adding a bit of creaminess too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love the idea of using it in lasagne type dishes. I will have to try that!

      Delete
  4. your falafel wrap looks so good. I like hummus any old way just as long as it is not chunky because the chickpeas aren't cooked properly. And I feel like you about my blog - it is my recipe journal and sometimes I just want to record some recipe even if my photos aren't great or my recipe isn't earthshattering - good to see I am not alone (not reflection on your recipes - just one mine!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops - I mean no reflection on your photos!)

      Delete
    2. Haha, don't worry - I have plenty of photos are in that category too! I'm glad you feel the same about recipe documentation. And non-cooked chickpeas are definitely not a good form of chunky :-)

      Delete
  5. I love hummus, the chunkier the better. We often add chopped up sun-dried red peppers to ours :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is easier to scoop onto a cracker if there's some chunkiness to it. I do love to use hummus as a butter substitute to use on sandwiches and wraps xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both but am on a smooth kick at the moment since I discovered I could make it in my blender (instead of my food processor) and it gets SO velvety.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love Mediterranean, especially their dips. Hummus is a favourite. Thanks for sharing!!

    Julie & Alesah
    Gourmet Getaways xx

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).