Sunday, January 18, 2015

Kale, cabbage and apple salad with a peanut dressing

Kale. It's almost become unfashionably fashionable; the stereotypical health food, thrown out as an example of new age eating and January dieting. I'm torn between being pleased that kale is readily available and winning over an increasing number of hearts (and stomachs), and sorry that it's become another 'bandwagon' food.

Mostly, though, I don't worry about it too much. I just enjoy eating it.



This salad is for those of you who are already kale converts, as well as the (probably few) of you who are still unsure. The kale is livened up with a dressing of peanut butter, soy sauce, lemon juice and garlic...as well as some last minute chopped apple for sweetness. It is delicious raw, but can also be turned into a cooked dish. I made an impromptu chickpea flour scramble with a decent amount of the salad and a 1/4 cup of chickpea (besan) flour mixed with 1/4 cup water. I left the apples out of that serving option, but it was a delicious alternative to the salad in standard form.


If you are serving this straight up, it makes a great side dish or light main. If you want a more substantial meal, just add some cashews or almonds, sweet potato, or wrap bread of choice.

Kale as bland diet food? I don't think so.

Kale, cabbage and apple salad with a peanut dressing
Good for you whilst tasting delicious!
Vegan; can be raw and gluten free (use a soy sauce substitute)
Enough to serve 6 as a side, or 3 as a main

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
For the dressing -
1/3 cup unsalted peanut butter
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp non-dairy milk
1 clove garlic, crushed

For the salad -
4 cups kale, torn or chopped into small pieces
1/4 head purple cabbage, roughly chopped
1 yellow or red pepper, roughly chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped

2 apples, chopped, to serve

Method
To make the dressing, blitz the peanut butter, soy sauce, lemon juice, non-dairy milk and garlic in a small blender or food processor. If you don't have either of those, whisk well to combine by hand.

Combine all salad ingredients except the apple in a large bowl. Pour over the dressing and massage into the salad using clean hands.

When ready, chop the apple and toss over the salad at the point of serving.

18 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds delicious. I always think of peanut sauces as being for hot foods in satay form but with horrible hot weather at the moment a peanut dressing sounds divine. Thinks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy. this sounds and looks so good an healthy. definitely going to try it

    www.thefashionfraction.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good but the chickpea scramble sounds really delicious! I feel your pain re the kale fashion - heard someone on the radio going on about how it had got to ridiculous heights and who would eat raw kale anyway and I was tempted to ring in and say she had obviously not had a good kale salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I made the scramble! It was pretty fantastic - definitely a step up from the salad plain. What a frustrating radio show too. Silly woman!

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious, Kari. How could you go wrong with a peanut dressing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kale salads are just the best, aren't they. I love how much healthier kale is than other salad leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a win-win situation really - and certainly makes iceburg lettuce pale into a pathetic comparison!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE kale, so even if the trend is on it's way out, I'm still in for lots of kale salad consumption! This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost want the trend to pass so I can not feel self-conscious when ordering it / eating it :P Glad you're still on the bandwagon!

      Delete
  7. Kale and apple already sound balanced. That peanut sauce gives this an extra flavour and texture making this salad lively and interesting. Thanks for bringing this!!!

    Julie & Alesah
    Gourmet Getaways xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the look of it - thanks :)

      Delete
  8. I know what you mean about kale! I wish it would be a bit less fashionable :) I'm not a fan of the whole " superfoods " craze. My favourite way to eat kale is raw in salads. This one looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - even the word 'superfood' annoys me often! I'm glad you like the look of this though :)

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous, crisp looking salad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dressing sounds like just the sort of thing I'd love. I don't mind that kale is fashionable unless it means that in a few months it becomes untrendy and gets whisked off menus. I have a huge spot spot for kale, particularly as chips!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).