Thursday, January 29, 2015

Vegan French toast, version 2 {London marathon fundraising}

This is one of those recipes that is so simple, it almost doesn't deserve to be posted (never mind posted as pasted of my fundraising efforts). At the same time, it is a recipe that is so simple it is rather amazing - especially when factoring in how good the dish tastes. Plus, simple at breakfast time isn't really a bad thing. All in all, it seemed worth sharing with you today.


Some of you may remember the vegan French toast I posted last year, for Vegan MoFo. That dish used chia seeds instead of egg. This version uses (wait for it!) custard powder. Whisked with almond milk and some vanilla essence, it does a remarkable job of producing an authentic French toast batter. I'm really very taken with it.



Of course, one disadvantage of dropping the chia seeds is that you also drop protein and healthy fats. Thus, I recommend making this with a seed-filled bread. It will give you a complete breakfast in under 10 minutes.

Vegan French toast, version 2
Using custard powder and almond milk instead of egg, this French toast is quick to make and delicious to eat
Serves 1

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 tbsp custard powder
1/3 cup almond milk or other milk of choice
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 pieces grainy bread

Spray oil, for cooking

Fruit + maple syrup, to serve

Method
Whisk together the custard powder, milk and vanilla essence in a large bowl. 

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil. While the pan is heating, dip your first piece of bread in the custard mixture to coat on both sides. 

When the pan is hot, cook the bread for approximately 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Repeat for the second piece of bread, and then serve with maple syrup and fruit of choice.


                                                                                                                               
This post is part of my fundraising efforts for the 2015 London Marathon. I am running for Beat, the UK eating disorder charity. If you liked this recipe and are in a position to make a donation, I'd be grateful for any contribution you could spare! You can make a donations of any size on my fundraising page.

Check out my introductory post and my fundraising page for more information. 

Days until the marathon: 86                    Training miles logged in 2015: 105.76
                                                                                                                               

Do you have any creative uses for custard powder? I do find it to be a very versatile ingredient!

23 comments:

  1. I love the idea of this. The big turnoff with traditional French toast is all the calories - if this tastes close to the original, yet is much less calorific, I am all for it. I am a huge fan of custard powder used in baking but have never thought of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you try it Cakelaw - not least because you put custard powder into my mind with your recent custard-y cake, and I'm sure that helped me think of this!

      Delete
  2. We love toast + almond milk! Thanks for sharing!!

    Julie & Alesah
    Gourmet Getaways xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. just glad i came across to your blog.. i love baking too..
    Water Damage Clean up

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have thought of using custard powder. Ingenious!
    I love how quick & easy your French toast recipe is. Lots of recipes I've read on the web take 30-40 mins and I'd be ravenous if I had to wait that long for my breakfast!
    I hope the Marathon training and fund raising are going well. I've been thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely don't have 30 - 40 minutes in the morning! Neither time wise nor appetite wise :-)

      This morning was a new running distance of 17 miles and I actually made a variation of this when I returned - it hit the spot!

      Delete
  5. Custard powder, great idea! I can imagine that giving a lovely flavour to French toast, probably a bit similar to chickpea flour but more vanillay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of the chickpea flour version you mentioned when I was pondering this variation :-)

      Delete
  6. Your training miles have certainly increased. I do love the sound of the custardy French toast with the vanilla. I didn't know you could buy vegan custard! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, custard powder is generally vegan because it's only when milk is added that the dairy component comes in :-) That's what I used in this, but you can also buy vegan (soya) custard here!

      Delete
  7. Sounds super delicious! I'm not sure I've seen custard powder, I'll have to keep my eye out for it. I love how it serves 1! I'm always finding fancy breakfast recipes that serve 6-8, I just want to make some french toast for myself ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am entirely selfish at breakfast time - I make my breakfast and that is it :D

      Delete
  8. Utterly brilliant idea, and as a veggie in the process of switching back to being vegan, a very timely one. Thank you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Genius! I would never have thought about using custard powder! In fact I've never had French toast, maybe I'll try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's such a clever idea! I've never seen that anywhere before, but I bet it looks great and tastes amazing. I love that I have the ingredients for this at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey :-) I generally have all the ingredients too, so it's a great option to have on hand.

      Delete
  11. Oh this sounds good - I always have custard powder but don't use it much - we were through a french toast phase and I often put both corn flour and chia seeds so I think I could easily use custard powder instead of corn flour. Might be time for more french toast - perhaps with some of my sourdough bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that your version kind of combines my chia seed and custard options :-) You're right, the custard powder would be an easy swap for the corn flour. It would be amazing with sourdough bread too!

      Delete
  12. this Vegan French toast looks delicious and healthy, I will try to make this one

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to make this one vegan french toast healthy and yummy

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).