Thursday, January 22, 2015

Raw apple cheesecake puddings {London marathon fundraising}

Another Thursday and another fundraising recipe! This one is firmly in the dessert category, although I think these puddings could almost double up as breakfast. The ingredients are raw, vegan and entirely natural, even if the end result is rather decadent.

Raw apple cheesecake puddings

If you follow me on Facebook, you may have noticed that I've been rather obsessed with cashews. It's funny how tastes wax and wane over time. For the last two weeks, I have eaten more cashews than I would usually do in months. You see, I didn't use to like them much plain. With this turn around, there may be hope for me and avocados yet!

Given the cashew obsession, it isn't surprising that today's dessert is made with the nuts. However, don't worry if you aren't as fond of cashews as I currently am. They provide healthy creaminess but don't actually influence the pudding's flavour. That is firmly apple, with hints of maple syrup and vanilla. The final result is reminiscent of cheesecake without being exactly like it, which is why I have called these cheesecake puddings. They are a little softer than traditional cheesecake, and not as rich or as tart. They are, however, delicious.

I set most of my mixture in small jars (saved from buying InSpiral raw desserts!). However, I also set some of the mixture in standard drinking glasses, and if you have ramekins or parfait glasses then you could also use those. I do recommend individual serving containers though, rather than one large dish.

Raw apple cheesecake puddings
Individual dessert pots that turn wholefood ingredients into a sweet, creamy, decadent apple dessert
Raw, vegan and gluten free
Makes 6 puddings

Advance soaking time needed
Food processor needed

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
For the pudding bases-
1/3 cup (50g) raw almonds
1/3 cup (approximately 50g) dates (mine were regular dried dates but I am sure medjool would be lovely)
1/3 cup (approximately 30g) dessicated coconut

For the pudding-
1 cup (approximately 150g) raw cashews, soaked in 4 cups of water for at least 4 hours or overnight
2 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into quarters
1/4 - 1/3 cup (65-85ml) maple syrup, to taste
1 tbsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted


Method
Ensure the cashews are soaked in advance, and then drain and rinse before using.

Set out 6 small glasses or ramekins.

To make the pudding bases, combine the almonds, dates and coconut in a food processor and process until finely ground and starting to clump together. Don't worry if the mix is a little loose - it will be eaten with a spoon.

Divide the base mixture between your glasses / ramekins, and press down firmly.

To make the pudding mix, combine the soaked and rinsed cashews and quartered apples in a food processor and process until semi-smooth and creamy (do not over-process - the mixture should remain quite thick and will still have some texture). Add the vanilla, lemon juice and coconut oil and process to incorporate, about 30 seconds.

Spoon the pudding mix over the bases and allow to set in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, but preferably 6-8 hours.

Store in the fridge (mine were still fine after 5 days).


                                                                                                                               
This post is part of my fundraising efforts for the 2015 London Marathon. I am running for Beat, the UK eating disorder charity. If you liked this recipe and are in a position to make a donation, I'd be grateful for any contribution you could spare! You can make a donations of any size on my fundraising page.

Check out my introductory post and my fundraising page for more information. 

Days until the marathon: 93                    Training miles logged in 2015: 79.39
                                                                                                                               


Are you a cashew fan? What is your favourite way to eat them?

15 comments:

  1. I adore cashew 'cheese' cakes but I've never tried an apple flavour one before. Sounds scrumptious! I think I'll have to make this for dessert tonight. I haven't got time to soak the cashews but I find that boiling them for 15 minutes softens them enough to blend smooth.

    I hope the marathon training's going well. I'm heading over to your sponsor page right now :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sharon! I really appreciate it :)

      I also love your tip about boiling cashews to skip the soaking time - that is a brilliant idea! I so often forget to soak them :P

      Thanks again xo

      Delete
  2. These sound absolutely devine - I would love it, even though I have not yet tred raw cheesecake. The combination of ingredients is a sure-fire winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am obsessed with cashews at the moment too. Cashew butter is the best nut butter in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had it!! I will have to rectify that - I am going to make up for all the years I thought cashews were inferior to almonds :P

      Delete
  4. 80 Training miles! That's impressive, Kari, especially running in England with the weather! I do like the sound of enjoying cheese cake for breakfast xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie! I think the winter weather may actually be easier than Australian heat for long runs :) And yes...cheesecake for breakfast does have a wonderful ring to it.

      Delete
  5. This cheesecake looks so good - I haven't been eating many cashews lately but always wish I did. And I could imagine this would work well with stone fruit! I am interested that you say there should be some texture as I quite love a smooth creamy cheesecake. I also wondered if you used regular dried dates or medjool? And do they last well in the fridge? Love your jars - am thinking what jars I have for these sort of desserts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would work beautifully with stone fruit! They would probably give a smoother texture too - although longer processing time would no doubt make this apple version extra smooth if that's your preference. These were smooth, but I kept some texture as for some reason felt that would match the apple taste (don't know why really).

      I just used regular dried dates, and they do last well in the fridge - at least 5 days, which is as long as I gave mine :P Thanks for asking those things - I'll update the post to clarify.

      Delete
  6. No surprise that this excites me! I haven't used apple much in raw desserts so can't wait to try this one! Cute jars too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - apple in raw desserts is fairy new to me too, but after trying raw apple cake a few months back I think the idea stuck in my mind!

      Delete
  7. This sounds great Kari and so good for you too. I love cashews so could happily eat them anytime anyhow !:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally kill fat by consuming Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).