Sunday, January 11, 2015

Orange-mustard stir fry with tofu and Asian greens, and a new blog header

First, thanks so much for your enthusiasm regarding my marathon plans! It is lovely to have encouragement from around the globe and I look forward to sharing progress as April draws nearer. I managed to trip over and fall flat on the concrete on this morning's run (fortunately no major injuries) so I am hoping that gets my uncoordinated streak out of the way...

On other topics, you may have noticed a new header on my blog this week. I seem to change my headers around this time of year, and whilst I wasn't really tired of the old one yet, I thought a fresh image would be nice. I hope you like it (if you don't, feedback is always welcome). The new one ties in with my Facebook page header without being exactly the same.

Bite-sized thoughts over the years (2011 and 2012 along the top, and 2013 and 2014 along the bottom)

In terms of today's recipe, I have been on a bit of an orange kick lately - something that is reflected in this post coming straight after my orange coconut ice. I actually have a few other orange recipes too, but I won't bring them all out at once. Keep an eye out over coming months, as I'll share them in spaced out doses!


I liked this stir fry because it worked without any advance marinating of tofu. I do love the taste and texture of well-pressed and well-marinated tofu, but I don't always have the time or inclination to prepare it that way. You can pull some tofu out of the fridge, mix up the ingredients, and have this on the table in well under half an hour. 

The tofu is flavoured with orange zest, soy sauce, mustard and nutritional yeast - plus a small dose of chilli, which you can adapt to taste. I added a dollop of almond butter to my plate on serving and recommend that last minute addition too. It isn't essential, but it works nicely as an extra flavour and texture for the meal. Similarly, I paired this with sweet potato and thought that worked particularly well, but you could of course add rice or noodles if you prefer.


Orange-mustard stir fry with tofu and Asian greens
An easy stir fry that doesn't require advance preparation
Serves 3 to 4
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
350g firm or medium firm tofu, cut into squares
Zest of 1 orange (approximately 1 tbsp)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1-1/2 tbsp mustard
1-1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp orange juice (reserve the rest for something else)
1 brown onion, diced
1 deseeded red chilli, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
4 small bunches bok choi or other Asian greens, roughly chopped

Almond butter, optional, to serve
Sweet potato, rice or noodles, to serve

Method
Place the tofu, orange zest (but not juice), soy sauce, mustard and nutritional yeast in a large non-stick pan. Mix to coat the tofu with the orange-mustard marinade and then saute over medium-high heat until the tofu starts to turn golden. Add the orange juice and vegetables (onion, chilli, pepper, bok choi) and reduce heat to low-medium. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the onion is golden and the bok choi has cooked down.

Whilst the stir fry is cooking, microwave a sweet potato or prepare rice or noodles to taste. Serve with the stir fry mix, and add a dollop of almond butter on serving.

What is your favourite stir fry mix at the moment?

16 comments:

  1. Love the new header!

    I get obsessed with oranges this time of year too... and satsumas! I'm eating at least a couple a day at the moment. I very rarely use them in savoury dishes though. Your stir fry sounds delicious, and it's great that it doesn't require any advance prep x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love things that don't need advance prep :-) Thanks Sharon!

      Delete
  2. The header looks great! The stir-fry sounds very delicious too, especially with the orange + mustard combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely header - I love that apple photo in particular (To be pedantic, some dark border on your Blog title or a dark background would make it stand out a bit more). And I love the sound of the orange sauce - I have finally got through my oranges but I think I might need a few more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when I saw your comment because for a while I did have a dark edge around the title :-) But that didn't seem quite right either - although you're right in that it does blur into the light parts of the right most picture. I may play around with it again.

      Delete
  4. Love the headers! The stir fry sounds yummy. I admit I don't tend to cook with oranges but your posts are swaying me... perhaps I'll buy a few extra next time I'm doing the fruit shop... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to either, but they are a nice addition / variation!

      Delete
  5. I love the header! My favourite stir-fry at the moment is anything with mange tout in it. I can't get enough of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dannii! And I think I need to explore mange tout - I am not very familiar with it!

      Delete
  6. I love a good stir fry and orange sounds so right for flavoring it at this time of year. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your new header! And I just noticed the profile pic of you. Hello, Kari ;). I've been obsessed with oranges lately as well. I actually have all these ingredients on hand, except for nutritional yeast. Looking forward to trying! I almost always marinate my tofu, but I shall take the leap of faith and skip that extra step ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Min! Thank you ;) I guess if you have time to marinate the tofu it is delicious that way, but for those short on time days - hopefully this can help you out.

      Delete
  8. Oh I love your tofu dishes! Can't wait to try this. I love your sweet and sour tofu with the pineapple juice too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you have reminded me of that one - I shall have to pull it back into rotation!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).