Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Apricot-almond cake

One of the unexpected points of difference, living in London compared to Australia, is that summer fruit is available all year round. It is quite bizarre, especially as often it is still quite cheap. I could buy two mangoes for £1, a punnet of apricots for £2, and a punnet of strawberries for about the same. We often had American cherries available around the core cherry season in Perth, but exorbitant prices meant it wasn't hard to resist them.

Most of the time I am still resisting the out-of-season summer fruit here. I like the anticipation and excitement of having summer produce come back into season, and eating it all year round wouldn't be the same. Plus, I'm not keen on supporting an industry that flies my fruit up from South Africa, or Turkey, or somewhere else decidedly not near Britain - and if the prices are that low, most likely someone is struggling to make a living.



But. When Tesco had a punnet of Spanish apricots discounted due to an approaching 'best before' date, I did waver. I then discovered another reason why local, seasonal fruit is best: it tastes much, much better. These apricots tasted fine, but they were not the apricots of my summer dreams. After eating a few raw, I decided to put the rest towards this cake.

The apricots may have lacked something in their natural state, but they worked extremely well when baked. The cake isn't overly almond-y and the main benefit of the almond flour is that the cake is beautifully moist. I do love the texture that almond flour provides. I also find it gives a better texture and taste the day after baking, so this is a good cake for making in advance. It kept well for a week in the fridge.

I adapted my recipe from an existing one, but made quite a few changes. In addition to being vegan, this uses less sugar than many cakes and it skips over regular wheat flour to use a mix of almond and spelt. Apple sauce helps avoid the need for eggs and also allows for slightly less margarine.



If you are in the southern hemisphere, this could help you use some of the seasonal apricots at your disposal. If you're not, tinned apricots could be a substitute. Or, wait until summer. Some things are meant to happen only once a year.

Apricot-almond cake
A bright, apricot-studded cake that is moist from the almond flour and subtly sweet from apricots
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts, adapted from an apricot and almond cake on All Recipes


Ingredients
50g (1/4 cup) non-dairy spread
100g (1/2 cup) white sugar
250ml (1 cup) sweetened apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp almond essence
100g (scarce 1 cup) almond meal (ground almonds / almond flour)
100g (scarce 1 cup) spelt flour
3/4 tsp baking powder

200 - 250g apricots, weighed with stones (6-8 pieces of fruit), cored and cut into slices

Method
Preheat your oven to 160'C and line a baking tin with non-stick paper (I used a square tin but round would work well too).

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the non-dairy spread and sugar until starting to cream. Add the apple sauce and vanilla and almond essences and beat until light and creamy.

Stir the almond meal, spelt flour and baking powder into the sugar mixture and stir to incorporate. Fold in approximately half of the apricot pieces, and then transfer to your prepared cake tin.

Top with the remaining apricots and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, checking after 30 minutes (I checked mine after 35 minutes and the edges were a little too brown - however this was for a square tin, so longer times may be needed for round cake tins). The top should be golden and a skewer should come out clean.

Allow to cool in the pan before turning out to continue cooling.


What fruit are you enjoying at the moment?

17 comments:

  1. I know what you mean - it's nice to have the fruit available all year round, but I actually like looking forward to the new season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just isn't the same when you can have things all the time!

      Delete
  2. I remember stone fruit in the UK seemed a disappointment - I just hope you get some decent local stuff come summer. This cake sounds wonderful - the sort of cake I wished my mum made in my childhood and the sort I really should make now I am an adult - though apricots have such a short season which makes them all the more precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect stone fruit year will never be quite the same as in Australia, the climate being what it is. I'll have to console myself with berries :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with you in that I like to buy seasonal fruit and vegetables and not those that have traveled halfway around the world. Although at the moment I am buying lemons from the USA as I always start my day with some freshly squeezed lemon juice. Your apricot cake looks fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - and lemons can be so hard to get at certain times of year! It's understandable you're looking to the US.

      Delete
  4. I love apricots in baking so much! This reminds me of one of my mum's cakes. It looks so lovely and moist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd have liked your Mum's cakes :) I actually haven't baked with apricots much in the past - I'll have to change that!

      Delete
  5. OOoh Kari how nice. This looks like a fantastic Vegan cake. A bookmark required.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try not to buy summer produce in winter either, but sometimes if the deal is good enough, I can be persuaded. The apricots may not have been great on their own, but they sound awesome on this cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes fruit just needs to be dessert-ified ;)

      Delete
  7. Looks so yummy... can't wait to do my own version of it :)
    Top rated Fishing Trips Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely looking cake - I would definitely love this. I think it's odd that they have fresh summer fruit all year round in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather! I guess there are so many people in London, there is a market for the imported stuff.

      Delete
  9. This cake looks so delicious! I'm really naughty and tend to buy whatever fruit I fancy at whatever time of year. Most weeks I buy pineapples, mangoes and avocados. I usually steer away from soft fruits though as, like you said, their flavour isn't great out of season. HOWEVER, I couldn't resist some strawberries when I spotted them in a grocers this week - 2 punnets for 99p! They're surprisingly flavourful too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great value! Life is too short to deprive yourself of things so if your produce is good, why not :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).