Thursday, January 15, 2015

London marathon fundraising: Vegan banana-chia crepes (grain free) with an easy chocolate sauce

These banana-chia crepes provide my second London marathon fundraising recipe (you can read about my marathon plans here!). Ever since seeing recipes for raw banana crepes made in a dehydrator, I have wanted to master a cooked version that would work in my dehydrator-free kitchen.


My first attempt at these involved banana and almond milk and was far too runny, with the crepes refusing to set. My second attempt burnt and set off the smoke alarm. This third attempt, I am pleased to say, worked very well. The crepes themselves were sweet (thanks to the banana) and slightly doughy (thanks to the chia seeds) and more filling that you would expect from the ingredient list. The chocolate sauce rounded things off and the combination was utterly delicious.


I made the sauce with coconut oil, cocoa powder and rice malt syrup. It wasn't overly sweet, and so worked well against the sweet banana crepe. You could also serve the crepes with berries, ice cream, maple syrup, or lemon and coconut sugar. Depending on your toppings and mood, they could provide breakfast, brunch or dessert (and if you want them for lunch or mid-afternoon, feel free to try them then too!).


Banana-chia crepes with an easy chocolate sauce
Vegan, gluten free and grain free
A delicious breakfast or dessert for one

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 large or 2 small bananas
1 tbsp chia seeds

Oil, for cooking

1 tsp coconut oil
2 tsp rice malt syrup, maple syrup or agave
1 tsp cocoa powder

Method
To make the crepe batter, combine the banana and chia seeds in a small food processor and process until smooth (alternatively, mash well by hand or mix using electric beaters).

Heat a non-stick pan over high heat and spray with oil or drizzle with coconut oil. When the pan is hot, reduce heat to medium and pour in the crepe mixture. Use a spatula to distribute evenly and form a relatively thin layer.

Cook until the surface starts to change colour and a corner of the crepe lifts easily (2-3 minutes). Monitor carefully to avoid burning! Flip and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.

While the crepe is cooking, make the chocolate sauce by melting the coconut oil, rice malt syrup and cocoa powder. Drizzle the sauce in and over the crepe before serving.


                                                                                                                               
This post is part of my fundraising efforts for the 2015 London Marathon. I am running for Beat, the UK eating disorder charity. If you liked this recipe and are in a position to make a donation, I'd be grateful for any contribution you could spare! You can make a donations of any size on my fundraising page.

Check out my introductory post and my fundraising page for more information. 

Days until the marathon: 100                    Training miles logged in 2015: 53.3
                                                                                                                               


Have you tried dehydrated banana crepes? I would love to know how these compare!

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea! It's amazing what you can make with a few simple ingredients. I don't have a dehydrator but I often wish I did! Looking forward to trying these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I do really like dishes that require hardly any ingredients!

      Delete
  2. I love how easy that chocolate sauce looks, I'd eat it with a spoon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These crepes look so delicious Kari - who could pass up chocolate and banana crepes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you could make crepes just from bananas and chia seeds! I also didn't know you're doing the London marathon - super impressed! Good luck with all your training xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 Researches PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually get rid of fat by eating coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).